20221004_004803.jpg

Upvote 3
OP
OP
X

Xelphius

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2022
Ive seen aome of his prints online, but this is a pencil drawing. Anyone have any idea what the value might be? The back of the matt with his address is double stamped aas well, kinda cool.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Very nice, but are you absolutely sure this is the original pencil drawing? If so, it would have been done with charcoal pencils. However, Eliezer Canul's works were widely reproduced as wood-block prints and it can be difficult to tell the difference without close examination. Many of them are being sold as "originals" but they're prints from the original engraving, not original drawings.

This one (same Mayan figure as yours) was on eBay a while ago with a "buy it now" of $40 (and $30-$40 would be a typical price). Apologies for the image quality but the actual listing is no longer available and this is from a reposting:

canul.jpg

Is there any numbering on the back or elsewhere which indicates it to be from a print run?

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

Xelphius

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2022
Welcome to Tnet.

Very nice, but are you absolutely sure this is the original pencil drawing? If so, it would have been done with charcoal pencils. However, Eliezer Carul's works were widely reproduced as wood-block prints and it can be difficult to tell the difference without close examination. Many of them are being sold as "originals" but they're prints from the original engraving, not original drawings.

This one (same Mayan figure as yours) was on eBay a while ago with a "buy it now" of $40 (and $30-$40 would be a typical price). Apologies for the image quality but the actual listing is no longer available and this is from a reposting:

View attachment 2049092

Is there any numbering on the back or elsewhere which indicates it to be from a print run?
I make art myself so I have a pretty good eye for these things and Im not 100% either way so I came here.

There is no print # anywhere.

When the light hits it at the right angle theres that shine you get from solid pencil

A few spots are indented right where the marks are in a way that looks dome by hand

Also the paper isnt the same watercolor paper Ive seen his prints on.

I think the frame it's in is worth more than 50 dollars anyway 😂

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the additional pics. I see what you mean, but am still not sure this is an original drawing. From what I see of the originals, his preferred media were charcoal pencils which I don't think produce the kind of sheen you get from graphite pencils.

If it is an original executed in graphite pencils (or charcoal) and hasn't been varnished/lacquered then a very gentle rub with a dry cotton bud in one of the solid border areas should give you a transfer of colouration.

OP
OP
X

Xelphius

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2022
Well I just got home from my studio where it's hanging... thats a really good point/idea assuming it comes up as charcoal... any idea what it'd be worth?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread