Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.jpg 2.JPG

I have not been posting much lately, this is down to searching for new land and the finds I have been making have been very sparse. But I think I might have found a decent area at last.
High on my wish list of finds has been a Saxon Penny and on Saturday I finally found one, these coins are struck on a large flan, usually about 20mm and usually cracked or damaged in some way...as is this one, although it's at the better end with all the legend. The coin is that of Eadgar, or sometimes spelled Edgar.

All I can tell you about the coin at this time is the date of this ruler which is 959-975. The reverse description of this coin is not in any of my books, and I have not found it online, so I am waiting on the UKFD for the reverse variant, which I will update later when I find out.

Here is a little bit of information one Eadgar...Edgar the Peaceful, or Edgar I (Old English: Ēadgār; c. In 963 he reputedly killed his rival in love, Earl Æthelwald, near present-day Longparish, Hampshire.. Edgar was crowned at Bath and anointed with his wife Ælfthryth, setting a precedent for a coronation of a queen in England itself.. Edgar died on 8 July 975 at Winchester,[SUP][why?][/SUP] and was buried at Glastonbury Abbey

UPDATED ID...Eadgar penny, pre-reform, circumscription cross type, BMC III. MINT UNKNOWN..

+ EADGAR REX
+ FASTOLF MON

I hope the pictures load, this is my first time on this new format..

SS

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 4

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing hammered silver find SS! :hello2:

Congrats on making the

:wav: BANNER :wav:

so quickly too!

Dave

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you change your mind & come back, but in case you do not, then at least you went out on a high/banner!!! To me it was the good pictures you took that matter, the rest of the mess is sortable with some effort.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Very nice mate....excellent result:thumb_up:

Shame about the smileys!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a crackerjack in terms of condition. I rarely see these posted, and when they do make their way on the forums, they are often in much worse shape. Glad this one made it onto the banner. I do hope you'll continue to post here.

Regards,

Buckleboy

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the better Roman from the new site...

:0 :0 :0 What is that Roman coin on the top right?! I have the same one, but have been unsuccessful at identifying it.
Thanks,
Guad
As I'm not sure if SS will return to this site, I have an ID from Cru'dad:
The top right coin is the Constantine II AE3 Sears 3941A or 3942 type. Obv: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C Emperor Laureate and cuirassed bust left holding globe surmounted by Victory. Rev: BEAT TRANQLITAS (if 3941A) or BEATA TRANQVILLITAS (if 3942) with Altar with Globe inscribed VO/TIS/XX in 3 lines. Mint showing in Silver Searcher’s is STR• which means Minted in Trier (Germany) at the Secondi Officina (No 2 Workshop) attributed to AD 322 when Constantine II was still a Caesar (AD317-337) under his Father Constantine the Great as Emperor. The coin is probably the Sears 3942 genre classified as a RIC Vol VII Trier no: 353 tabulated at the time as rare with 11-15 coins known – more likely scarce to common nowadays after all the MD finds since the out of date book.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Colin ! Nice Hammered , congrats on the Banner and the new hunting area .. I hope you have great discoveries there!!
H

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FANTASTIC coin and FANTASTIC find! Congratulations on the coin and the BANNER! Breezie

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Awesome coin, and the Romans aren't bad either. I'd like to some day be in an area where I can find coins like these.

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done mate welcome to the rare saxon/viking penny club :)

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS, Congrats on your beautiful rare banner find. Art

Guadalcanal

Mar 27, 2012
Southern California/Beijing
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
(A gift from Hosensack)
Fisher F2
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I'm not sure if SS will return to this site, I have an ID from Cru'dad:
The top right coin is the Constantine II AE3 Sears 3941A or 3942 type. Obv: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C Emperor Laureate and cuirassed bust left holding globe surmounted by Victory. Rev: BEAT TRANQLITAS (if 3941A) or BEATA TRANQVILLITAS (if 3942) with Altar with Globe inscribed VO/TIS/XX in 3 lines. Mint showing in Silver Searcher’s is STR• which means Minted in Trier (Germany) at the Secondi Officina (No 2 Workshop) attributed to AD 322 when Constantine II was still a Caesar (AD317-337) under his Father Constantine the Great as Emperor. The coin is probably the Sears 3942 genre classified as a RIC Vol VII Trier no: 353 tabulated at the time as rare with 11-15 coins known – more likely scarce to common nowadays after all the MD finds since the out of date book.

Wow, that saved me a lot of time, thanks a million!!! Do you know its value?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread