🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Eagle and Shield Belt Buckle? Badge?

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!
I am posting this item that I found yesterday, because I can't find one like it on a google search. It was in an older yard, where I believe a house once exploded (water heater?) when I was a child. Initially I thought I had a CW buckle, maybe. But upon further cleaning and inspection, I am not sure WHAT it is!
I dug it from about 8-10" and believe it is made of pewter, it is very heavy and had some sort of steel attachments on the back (now rusted away). Anyone ever seen one of these?
Also, what can I use- besides warm soapy water and a brush- that would clean this better without further damaging the design?
Thanks in advance for any input!

PS- I just saw that the images didn't upload correctly- I think I got it fixed!
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Attachments

• 2022-06-08 22.18.00.jpg
    2022-06-08 22.18.00.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 2022-06-08 22.08.27.jpg
    2022-06-08 22.08.27.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Solution
Your find is an antique clock's pendulum weight. The loops on its back are how it was attached to the pendulum's shaft. For confirmation of this identification, see the photos below.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your find is an antique clock's pendulum weight. The loops on its back are how it was attached to the pendulum's shaft. For confirmation of this identification, see the photos below.

Attachments

• clock-pendulum_patriotic-eagle-on-shield_TN_postedbyNhbenz_IMG_0020.JPG
    clock-pendulum_patriotic-eagle-on-shield_TN_postedbyNhbenz_IMG_0020.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 28
  • clock-pendulum-weights_TN_postedbyTimekiller_Pend2-1.jpg
    clock-pendulum-weights_TN_postedbyTimekiller_Pend2-1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Solution
OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir! I LOVE it- That explains the heavy weight of it! Do you happen to know if there's any way to get an approximate date for these?

Upvote 3

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Capncrunch asked:
> Do you happen to know if there's any way to get an approximate date for these?

MAYBE as early as the mid-1800s... but I'd feel more certainty that the answer is, Late-1800s through early-1900s.
After that time:
Clocks which used a pendulum tend to be "large" compared to simple keywound clocks. Large clocks (such as Grandfather-clocks and Mantel-clocks) seem to have fallen out of public favor by approximately the middle of the 20th Century. That being said, reproductions of the antique pendulum clocks are still being made... which is why you can buy certain versions of the pendulum weights online today.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys nailed this- QUICK! Thanks so much for the help, and God Bless!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread