✅ SOLVED Eagle button…navy? civilian? date?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi button and military experts,

I found the front piece of a button…guessing it is civilian but hoping it is military….possibly navy? If it is…any idea of approx. age?

Thanks!
Kim

9F654925-B3BE-4176-AA34-9528768E6DB1.jpeg
9A78803E-6A5B-443A-8AB1-476793914EAA.jpeg

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 2

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is one that I found. It is different, and has been identified as a Civil War Navy button.

Attachments

• 1860FedNavButton.jpg
    1860FedNavButton.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 3

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder, your find is definitely an ironbacked civilian "Fashion" button, loosely imitating the actual US Navy button. Note that your eagle's wings have very round tops... and the rope-border does not pass through the ring on the anchor's top, as it does on the actual USN button. Also, the civilian-usage imitation's emblem detail (sharpness) is very weak in comparison to the USN button's superbly crisp detail. See the photo below, showing a civil war era actual US Navy uniform button.

Lastly, I mentioned your Fashion button having an iron bac (which has mostly corroded away. Actual US Navy buttons NEVER have an iron/steel back, because the iron would eventually get rusty, from saltwater air, and washing, which would make rust-stains on the uniform. The only exception to that rule is a small USN button made for use on a kepi-hat's leather strap.

I'm including the final photo below to show y'all another variation of civilian "Fashion" imitation US Navy buttons. Again, note the rounded-top wings, and weak detail in the emblem. In comparison, on the sharply-detailed actual US Navy button you can even see vanes in the individual feathers on the eagle's chest.

Attachments

• button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 26
  • button_Fashion_US-Navy-imitation_7-stars_photobyPa-dirt-NC-sand_859229.jpg
    button_Fashion_US-Navy-imitation_7-stars_photobyPa-dirt-NC-sand_859229.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 27
  • button_Navy-US_imitation-for-civilian-clothing_self-shank-back_frontview_Ebay_60_3.jpg
    button_Navy-US_imitation-for-civilian-clothing_self-shank-back_frontview_Ebay_60_3.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder, your find is definitely an ironbacked civilian "Fashion" button, loosely imitating the actual US Navy button. Note that your eagle's wings have very round tops... and the rope-border does not pass through the ring on the anchor's top, as it does on the actual USN button. Also, the civilian-usage imitation's emblem detail (sharpness) is very weak in comparison to the USN button's superbly crisp detail. See the photo below, showing a civil war era actual US Navy uniform button.

Lastly, I mentioned your Fashion button having an iron bac (which has mostly corroded away. Actual US Navy buttons NEVER have an iron/steel back, because the iron would eventually get rusty, from saltwater air, and washing, which would make rust-stains on the uniform. The only exception to that rule is a small USN button made for use on a kepi-hat's leather strap.

I'm including the final photo below to show y'all another variation of civilian "Fashion" imitation US Navy buttons. Again, note the rounded-top wings, and weak detail in the emblem. In comparison, on the sharply-detailed actual US Navy button you can even see vanes in the individual feathers on the eagle's chest.
Thanks so much for the detailed information. I hadn’t noticed the rope detail. You confirmed my suspicions! One day I’ll find a true military button! Much appreciated!

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread