traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this eagle button on a farm on the Tennessee River. I found lots of Civil War relics there for there were camps on a hill overlooking the river. This farm had been inhabited and worked since late 1700s and I think most of the time by the same family. I found this button in same location I found Civil War buttons that I could easily identify. But this is the first eagle button I found like this one. The camp was not only on a large hill, but there was a small lake there also, and the old gentleman that owned the farm said it was much larger in his youth. All the young folks used to go swim there in late 1800s and early 1900s he said.
I took two of the pictures with a magnifier app, so they look really dark. I was trying to bring out detail and the letters on the back. The letters are Old English and hard for my poor old eyes to make out. I think one of the words is "best", but I am not sure on the other word. The Caliper reading is inches.
In case you cannot tell, the back is concaved, and it is one solid piece.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• button 1.jpg
    button 1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 85
  • button 2.jpg
    button 2.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 88
  • button 3.jpg
    button 3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 79
  • button 4.jpg
    button 4.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 87

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this eagle button on a farm on the Tennessee River. I found lots of Civil War relics there for there were camps on a hill overlooking the river. This farm had been inhabited and worked since late 1700s and I think most of the time by the same family. I found this button in same location I found Civil War buttons that I could easily identify. But this is the first eagle button I found like this one. The camp was not only on a large hill, but there was a small lake there also, and the old gentleman that owned the farm said it was much larger in his youth. All the young folks used to go swim there in late 1800s and early 1900s he said.
I took two of the pictures with a magnifier app, so they look really dark. I was trying to bring out detail and the letters on the back. The letters are Old English and hard for my poor old eyes to make out. I think one of the words is "best", but I am not sure on the other word. The Caliper reading is inches.

Cool button. i don,t know from squat about buttons,but I know that,s cool.Nice find!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I’ve found similar one piece Eagle designs at 1830s era forts. Likely 1820s to 1840. Congratulations!

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve found similar one piece Eagle designs at 1830s era forts. Likely 1820s to 1840. Congratulations!
Thank you for your comments. I had othercomments similar. I have researched and researched and can not find one with Old English lettering on back just like this one. I had it sorted to around 1820 or so, but no exact matches. Have a great day.

CivilWarFan

May 3, 2016
American Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo and the Silver Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its hard to tell who the manufacturer was because this is a retailer mark which would have been less expensive for the company to make. Its most likely a scovill die for the eagle front, but it is really hard to know who produced the button.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They nailed the date. You know, I have never found one in this date range...go figure.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hard to tell who the manufacturer was because this is a retailer mark which would have been less expensive for the company to make. Its most likely a scovill die for the eagle front, but it is really hard to know who produced the button.
Yes I have found that to be true.

OP
OP
T

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They nailed the date. You know, I have never found one in this date range...go figure.
I found it in a long term camp site along with a few other eagle buttons which were clearly Civil War. I guess somebody had an old jacket on or just needed a button. I like to think it was some gray haired old officer with his old jacket on he broke out for the war. Great spot overlooking the Tennessee River in two different spots around a bend. They could see a ferry and a train Bridge.
Thank you guys for your comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread