fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone tell me what eagle button this is? it is 15mm. I have never seen one with 12 stars above the eagle's head. I have been told it may be from a kepi and from the 1970-1900 time period but I can't find another one like it.

20220921_224945.jpg
20220921_225029.jpg

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone tell me what eagle button this is? it is 15mm. I have never seen one with 12 stars above the eagle's head. I have been told it may be from a kepi and from the 1970-1900 time period but I can't find another one like it.

View attachment 2047543 View attachment 2047544
I'm not sure, the eagle with "A" thought to stand for artillery. The design looks 1860-1900. But to me back of button looks repaired or possibly a fashion button. I'm no expert, just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure it is a Artillery Button.from later then 1884 from 1808 to about 1884 They used a Eagle with a A in the shield. My book does not go past 1884 on this model button. All the pictures i have with the A on them does not have the 12 stars at your top

Upvote 1
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure it is a Artillery Button.from later then 1884 from 1808 to about 1884 They used a Eagle with a A in the shield. My book does not go past 1884 on this model button. All the pictures i have with the A on them does not have the 12 stars at your top
I know, the 12 stars are stumping me. I am 99.99% sure it is military and U.S. The back style makes me think 1870-1900 give or take a few years.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure, the eagle with "A" thought to stand for artillery. The design looks 1860-1900. But to me back of button looks repaired or possibly a fashion button. I'm no expert, just my thoughts.
It is a tin back button and that back is consistent with the late 1800s time period.

Upvote 1

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a tin back button and that back is consistent with the late 1800s time period.
So were the tin back buttons marked with a makers name? I'm just curious & trying to learn a thing or two on them. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told that this button most likely was used on an epaulet (shoulder board) and dates to the last half of the 19th century.
And, I didn't notice it until I was told but the arrows point down instead of up.

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As I've said in other posts, I sometimes wait a while to respond to an ID-request, because I want to see what other people will say about the unidentified object before I add my observations about it.

Regarding this one:
I've been wondering for 10 days if somebody would notice that the arrows in the eagle's talons are upside down. Also, the letter A in the eagle in the eagle's shield is on a lined background. Absolutely no US MILITARY-ISSUE "eagle-button" has either of those characteristics. (I checked all the way through every one of the Albert button-book's US Army eagle-buttons to make sure my memory was correct about that.)

So, as I said previously but my post seems to have disappeared, IMO this button is not a US Military-Issue button.

KSDirtfisher77 asked:
> So were the tin back buttons marked with a maker's name? I'm just curious & trying to learn a thing or two on them. Thanks.

Although the great majority of tinned-iron-back buttons do not have a backmark, a few are known to exist. "Goodwin's Patent July 27 1875" (and another Goodwin's version of it saying "July 1878" instead of 1875) come to mind. There is an extraordinarily rare Confederate-made ironback North Carolina State Seal uniform button with a backmark, saying "EM Lewis & Co. Richmond VA." I should mention I've seen a few post-civil-war tinned iron back buttons with an Extra Quality or Superior Quality backmark.

Upvote 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread