Early Baseball Player photo Who IS this??????

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
I had picked this photo up out of a box of old cards. I am hoping Treausure.net experts can help identify the time frame by the uniform, glove, hat and face. I know this will be a challenge and probably will never know? Even though the face is not clear just maybe we can get some ideas before I lay this photo to rest in my Baseball card collection. I have tried to get better pictures for viewing but not very easy. Ok forum. Bill

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
That's going to be a tough one to solve. There doesn't appear to be a team logo on his hat or uniform.
I noticed that. His jersey collar dates to 1910s. The angle he is standing at would not show any logos or numbers. There are sights that can help with time lines by the sox styles such as ankle cuffs that goes to the top of the shoes or short below the knees. The cap has stripes. If I can get down to the decade of this taken and with all above combined. I could look at the faces. I know I am digging. Just thought there were other ideas I have not thought of.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a complete guess on my part, but the face in your picture immediately made me think Ty Cobb. The hat even seems to match the hat that Cobb wore in many photos on line, and the team insignia matches too, in that it was on the side of the shirt hidden in your photo. Perhaps a very young Ty Cobb, maybe even taken before he was in the majors?

Attachments

• ty.jpg
    ty.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 139
  • ty-cobb-bill-armour-august-1905.jpg
    ty-cobb-bill-armour-august-1905.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 131
  • lou-gehrig-babe-ruth-tris-speaker-and-ty-cobb_1fidzzaxkdju817qaenv0kozdr.jpg
    lou-gehrig-babe-ruth-tris-speaker-and-ty-cobb_1fidzzaxkdju817qaenv0kozdr.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A toughie right there....there were many baseball teams, pro, amateur, factory, &c. My grandfather played for an EJ Factory team in the 1930's, and they had uniforms and such. The question has to be, why was it saved? Either a famous person or somebody's grandpa, either one. Tresasurekid's suggestion of Ty Cobb is a good one - check to see if he was right or left handed, because if the photo is oriented properly, that person was right handed in the outfield.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow from the photo treasurekid posted the nose and ears sure look right. I saw an episode of some "CSI type" show where they said ear matching is as good as finerprint matching. Maybe you could blow up a photo of the ear from your photo and known ty cobb and then compare them?

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
Wow! I never thought of Ty Cobb. It does look like him. Treasurekidd is on to something. Now what do I do with it? I am trying to get clearer and closer pics of his face. I read he played for a couple of teams in Georgia Rompers, Rayston Reds, Augusta Reds, Augusta Tourists of the South Atlantic League. Then played for the Detroit Tigers. In 1906 Cobb became a full time center fielder. He does throw right. I love where this could go.

jgoetz4

Dec 31, 2014
Baltimore, Md
Detector(s) used
White's 5000D (40 yrs) and Bounty Hunter 3300 (8 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Other
I was able to bring out a little shadow detail on the original picture, and there are several similarities between all 3 pictures. The ear and nose are similar, as well as, the marks on his face,bottom lip, and he has long fingers/thumb on his throwing hand, as also seen in pic #3. Very interesting :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 137

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a complete guess on my part, but the face in your picture immediately made me think Ty Cobb. The hat even seems to match the hat that Cobb wore in many photos on line, and the team insignia matches too, in that it was on the side of the shirt hidden in your photo. Perhaps a very young Ty Cobb, maybe even taken before he was in the majors?
my first thought was Ty Cobb as well Send a picture of it to Heritage ha.com Their baseball people will know for sure If it is Mr cobb it may have great value They will also know that

RedLeaf

Apr 13, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow from the photo treasurekid posted the nose and ears sure look right. I saw an episode of some "CSI type" show where they said ear matching is as good as finerprint matching. Maybe you could blow up a photo of the ear from your photo and known ty cobb and then compare them?
yes, ear shape & nose profile always good

RedLeaf

Apr 13, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started looking at other photos of Ty Cobb, & there are several that show the belt buckle on his hip like that, not in center. This photo much later, playing for Detroit, but check the belt location, Good pick up Treasurekidd.

Attachments

• ty .jpg
    ty .jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 58

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread