Early/Mid 13th Century Ship Found Off the West Coast of Sweden

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
No good pics in the article; the interesting thing is that there is evidence of an "intense fire", which some are speculating is the work of pirates. I didn't know that medieval pirates were a thing--at least a big thing but but according to the article, they were. That leads me to ask what the likelihood would be of gold, jewels or other valuable cargo on a 13th century ship in the Sweden neighborhood? There are no plans to explore the wreck further, so I'm guessing the likelihood is not very high. And I'm guessing the cost of salvaging and preserving a ship that has been under water for this long is astronomical, so it's probably not going to be explored any time soon, even by the archaeologists.

Medieval ship found off the west coast of Sweden

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were many reasons / causes of an "intense fire" on a ship...

"Pirates" is once again the Archies reaching into that fantasy imagination world again.

Unless of course there is some form of written documentation of such to back this theory up.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No good pics in the article; the interesting thing is that there is evidence of an "intense fire", which some are speculating is the work of pirates. I didn't know that medieval pirates were a thing--at least a big thing but but according to the article, they were. That leads me to ask what the likelihood would be of gold, jewels or other valuable cargo on a 13th century ship in the Sweden neighborhood? There are no plans to explore the wreck further, so I'm guessing the likelihood is not very high. And I'm guessing the cost of salvaging and preserving a ship that has been under water for this long is astronomical, so it's probably not going to be explored any time soon, even by the archaeologists.

Medieval ship found off the west coast of Sweden
Or perhaps the fire wather on the ship fell asleep and an ember popped out and started a fire. Or maybe an intentional fire on a funeral ship. Or pirates.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archaeologists will want to do dives, as steps to study, at their own pace.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Would be neat to be involved in that.

Yes, that could be very interesting.

As someone who doesn't dive, what would be the more fascinating and compelling aspects to diving this wreck? Would it be the age? The difficulty? The risk? Potential treasure? I would think chances are slim to none of identifying a wreck this old. So when you consider wreck sites all over the world that could be dived, what about this wreck would draw your interest.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who doesn't dive, what would be the more fascinating and compelling aspects to diving this wreck? Would it be the age? The difficulty? The risk? Potential treasure? I would think chances are slim to none of identifying a wreck this old. So when you consider wreck sites all over the world that could be dived, what about this wreck would draw your interest.
The history. And solving the mystery of what happened the day the ship sank. I hate unsolved mysteries.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing more about the older sailing ships and what artifacts might be found. No diving, no artifacts found, getting to it later maybe artifacts to see later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread