Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button detecting this afternoon along an old overgrown cart way. Rang up a funky 8-9 on Equinox 800. I was interested as it showed being pretty deep. Thought for sure it was going to be a small lead shot. But was surprised when it finally appeared. Thought it looks like one of the old pewter buttons I find now and then. Very fragile, not in the best of shape. I would have guessed if it was copper the ring number would have been a bit higher and condition would be more solid. Have not tried to read the back yet. Found near a homesite that so far come up with several 1802-3 large coppers. But that site has given up over 45 tombac buttons but nothing in this bad of shape or as deep. I don't think it was tied to the homestead. I have not tried to clean except dusting with a small paint brush. Few other interesting items I found will get posted soon. Look forward to any feedback on this button. I'm sure it's probably American. thanks, Bill

UPDATE: I think I answered how this British button ended up next to a old homestead in Brewster, Cape Cod

During the War of 1812, Cape Cod bore the brunt of British aggression. The British Navy blockaded all the Cape ports, raided the harbors and seized vessels with abandon. They came ashore to steal crops and livestock. They extorted money from every Cape Cod town but Barnstable, Falmouth, Sandwich and Orleans.

This home was in the raided area and abandoned probably after the British finally left. There is nothing in the ground such as as daily life articles you find at homestead. Only 45+ plain tombac buttons scattered all over the yard. Probably clothing left behind and tossed out by the British. Family probably took any thing of value before the raid and never came back. Only other coin found was the 1806 King George penny. Bet that was lost by a soldier as.

Attachments

• anchor naval button 1.jpg
    anchor naval button 1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 119
  • anchor naval button 2.jpg
    anchor naval button 2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's British Royal Navy. There are many variations of that basic, fouled anchor design, 1774 to 1787, worn by British Captains or Commanders. Congrats! A Revolutionary War era find!
Well that's cool! It's a old cart way that's in the center of the cape but pops up here and there all the way to Truro. Ha, maybe prisoners' from the HMS Somerset!

Thanks so much for the fast reply and info!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Now theres a really interesting button!
British yes...but I dont think its navy.
I found the exact same button this spring and all things point to Royal Marines just post Rev War 1780s and 90s perhaps.
I've not seen many others and I'm going to say they're a little obscure so that will pump up the rarity too.
I think that's an awesome find!

Heres a pic of mine for comparison

Attachments

• 20210416_102126.jpg
    20210416_102126.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now theres a really interesting button!
British yes...but I dont think its navy.
I found the exact same button this spring and all things point to Royal Marines just post Rev War 1780s and 90s perhaps.
I've not seen many others and I'm going to say they're a little obscure so that will pump up the rarity too.
I think that's an awesome find!

Heres a pic of mine for comparison
That's the button. Bet finding one in decent shape is remote.

I think I may have found a close copy. Royal Marines War of 1812.

Attachments

• WOb24ds - Royal Marine Buttons .png
    WOb24ds - Royal Marine Buttons .png
    45.5 KB · Views: 38

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button detecting this afternoon along an old overgrown cart way. Rang up a funky 8-9 on Equinox 800. I was interested as it showed being pretty deep. Thought for sure it was going to be a small lead shot. But was surprised when it finally appeared. Thought it looks like one of the old pewter buttons I find now and then. Very fragile, not in the best of shape. I would have guessed if it was copper the ring number would have been a bit higher and condition would be more solid. Have not tried to read the back yet. Found near a homesite that so far come up with several 1802-3 large coppers. But that site has given up over 45 tombac buttons but nothing in this bad of shape or as deep. I don't think it was tied to the homestead. I have not tried to clean except dusting with a small paint brush. Few other interesting items I found will get posted soon. Look forward to any feedback on this button. I'm sure it's probably American. thanks, Bill

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions