East Texas Old Fort Treasure

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hidden deep in the woodlands bordering the Neches River are the last remains of what may be the earliest fort built in East Texas. And, perhaps, a buried treasure.

Unlike the forts Texas built to protect settlers from Indians, Fort Teran was established by Mexico in 1831 to control the flow of smugglers and illegal immigrants into Texas. The site was sometimes referred to as the "pass to the South." Three important trails -- the Coushatta Trace, the Alabama Trace and the Nacogdoches-Oroquisac road --crossed the Neches River near where the fort was built, underscoring the significance of the site.

The fort was named for General Manuel de Mier y Teran, commandant general of the eastern division of Mexican Texas. Teran made an inspection tour of Texas in 1829 and observed that Americans were sneaking into Texas by using the Indian trails. When he returned to Mexico, he helped draft a law in 1830 forbidding Americans from settling in Texas.

The responsibility for enforcing the law was assigned to Teran, as a director of colonization, and his program included the construction of garrisons on the Neches and several other East Texas rivers.

Peter Ellis Bean, a colonel in the Mexican army, was chosen to build Fort Teran. He left Nacogdoches for the Neches River on September 25, 1831, but work on the fort moved slowly. When the garrison was finally finished, it had ten wooden cabins to provide housing for Bean and his troops.

Fort Site
The site in what is now Tyler County lies about three miles west of Rockland on the river's south banks. The river crossing provided access across the Kisatchie Wold, a ridge running from the Mississippi River to the Rio Grande valley. At the time, the ridge was considered a formidable obstacle to travel for north-south travel. In northern Tyler County, the ridge reaches heights of 400 to 450 feet above sea level at several peaks and has forced the Neches to run eastward along the county's northern boundary.

Fort Teran was abandoned when the Mexican government found it was unable to support its Texas forts adequately. In 1834, the last of the Fort Teran troops were transferred from the river, leaving about a dozen civilians at the site.

Samuel T. Belt opened a trading post and a post office functioned there between 1856 and 1866. Steamboats used the river until the railroads came to East Texas in the 1880s.

A ferry also operated at the site. It was known at different times as Belt's Ferry, Boone's Ferry and Duncan Ferry. When a highway was completed east of the site in 1917, the ferry went out of business.

Today
Fort Teran today is both difficult to find and controversial. A logging road leads to the site and a state historical marker erected during the Texas Centennial in 1936 stands on a bluff known as Money Hill.

The site was named because of rumors that Mexican troops had buried in the river's mud a cannon filled with gold coins. Another story claims the fortune was hidden in a cave excavated in the river banks. A more reasonable explanation is that the cave was only a salt mine.

In recent years, there has been some speculation that the Centennial monument may have been placed at the wrong place on the river, perhaps even in the wrong county. Decades ago, a Lufkin historian wrote that Fort Teran really stood on the north bank of the Neches in Angelina County.
http://www.texasescapes.com/AllThingsHistorical/Fort-Teran-204BB.htm

tradderran

Mar 23, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Just an update to this story. I live about 5 miles from this site.
And both stories are true. The fort was on both sides of the river.
with a tunnel connecting them. As a boy my Grandpa swam in the
river at this site. And he told a story about there being a canon
sticking out of the water that they would dive off of. W still own
the farm that he grew up on. It is now my home. and ever since I retired I have been looking at this site. Never found the canon but
have found several old iron pots in the river bank at this site.
Also an old rifle barrel that was left in a fork of a tree. I has been there
long enough for the tree to grow around it. One of these day maybe I will
find the cannon. And go from there

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
tradderran... welcome to TreasureNet! I see this is your first post! Must be exciting to wonder about the possible treasures and relics on your own property... I would have NO idea.

If your so inclined to write about any adventures you have at your farm with relics or finding stuff... this forum would enjoy hearing about it! (We like pictures too...) :)

tradderran

Mar 23, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab
gypsyheart said:
That is so cool. I hope you do find it !

Thanks gypsyheart . My family has owned this land 640 ac sense
1839. And I inherited it from my Dad. I love roaming around this place.
Never know what you will find.
tradderran keeping the hunt alive

tradderran

Mar 23, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Montana Jim said:
tradderran... welcome to TreasureNet! I see this is your first post! Must be exciting to wonder about the possible treasures and relics on your own property... I would have NO idea.

If your so inclined to write about any adventures you have at your farm with relics or finding stuff... this forum would enjoy hearing about it! (We like pictures too...) :)

Thanks for the welcome Jim
Yes I will be posting some pic.s and more finds
Tradderran

tradderran

Mar 23, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Re: East Texas Old Fort Treasure Just got what I have been waiting on

tradderran said:
Just an update to this story. I live about 5 miles from this site.
And both stories are true. The fort was on both sides of the river.
with a tunnel connecting them. As a boy my Grandpa swam in the
river at this site. And he told a story about there being a canon
sticking out of the water that they would dive off of. W still own
the farm that he grew up on. It is now my home. and ever since I retired I have been looking at this site. Never found the canon but
have found several old iron pots in the river bank at this site.
Also an old rifle barrel that was left in a fork of a tree. I has been there
long enough for the tree to grow around it. One of these day maybe I will
find the cannon. And go from there

OK now we go after the cannon. Just got the Magnetometer that I have
been waiting on A SSP-2100 by Detect. Going to try this bad boy tomorrow
will post what I find.

tradderran

Mar 23, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Well it has been a while. I found the old cannon. But not the gold as of yet. the old gun is a 2 pound er made of bronze.
I need to get a digital camera. to post a pix.
Just to let you-all know that I have not forgotten you.

tradderran

Mar 23, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab
boattow said:
I'm a little confused. You bought a magnetometer to look for the cannon. Now you've found the cannon, presumably with the magnetometer. Magnetometers respond to iron/steel but you've said the cannon was brass. hmmm

I went to this site many years ago a few times. Ran a large loop pulse detector and a 2 box over it and found virtually no hits. I found what I would think was an air hole, it was a very small but very deep vertical shaft on my first trip there. Found what appeared to be a horizontal hole covered over down at a lower level and not too far from the river. I pounded on it and it sounded hollow. On the next trip, there was an old van there. Found a very old guy there with a young man. They had rented a pump. It had a long hose pumping water out of the river and the other end was putting the water into the air hole. It was coming out where the covered up horizontal hole was at. They had filled the tunnel system below with water and it blew out the covered horizontal opening. We got to talking and he had scoped out some interesting areas and when he found out I had a large loop pulse detector with me, he had me walk around and check these locations. We got no hits. My partner and I enjoyed listening to his stories. Later some younger guys showed up and said they had been coming there since they were very young and their dads would go down into the tunnels exploring while they played topside. They verified that the once covered up hole was an entrance to the tunnel system which had been covered over by the state. They said there were small islands in the river and they would go swim to them and find arrow heads. I enjoyed going there on those visits but it is such a long long way for me I haven't been back in over 10years or more.
Good luck,
Boattow
Yes I got the Magnetometer. To look for the Cannon when I believed it was cast iron. No I did not find the cannon with it. That was all luck just happened to be digging in the right spot.
I have found quite a few old iron pots . I was born here and grew up here. I have heard many stories about the gold left here. My Dad looked for it most of his life never found much but we have
found a small amount.

PS The fort is not where most belive it is. But that is all I will say

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I , too, would like to see some pics of the cannon. :icon_sunny:

Dec 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread but the story I always heard was that they were about to loose the battle and filled the cannon full of gold and rolled it off in the river. With that being said if that's the truth no telling where it is. But sure wish I could metal detect down there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread