M

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd throw a ball valve on the end of the spray bar for quick cleaning, but it looks like a great little tromel over all. Great job 😃
Great idear! I'll put it on the parts list with a new spray bar without the water feature. Spray bar was constantly clogging. I was thinking last night about the clean up. I panned everything from the sluice but there was alot of heavy material left in the trough below the trommel barrel I cleaned up but didn't pan. Might be I had the angle set too gradual for the trommel barrel and trough and my gold settled on the smooth trough surface. I'll have to pan that next time I get to the mine. Might be more gold than I thought.

OP
M

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How do like that sawmill? I finally found a backhoe, now i need a mill
I like it alot! I can fill that 16 ft. white trailer in about 3 hours with custom cut lumber. Couple things I would do different though. The dogs and stays on the mill leave alot to be desired. Setting the height is done with a pin which tends to bend and breaks the chain it's attached to which leaves you fishing for it in the sawdust. Get a trailer! Or pour a concrete slab and fasten the mill to it. Mine is just setting on the ground and getting it all leveled up is a pain. Once those things are fixed it's a good mill. I was chaining logs to the bucket of my tractor to load the deck which is also a major time loss. Got a couple forks that fit on the bucket which speeds loading up signifigantly.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it alot! I can fill that 16 ft. white trailer in about 3 hours with custom cut lumber. Couple things I would do different though. The dogs and stays on the mill leave alot to be desired. Setting the height is done with a pin which tends to bend and breaks the chain it's attached to which leaves you fishing for it in the sawdust. Get a trailer! Or pour a concrete slab and fasten the mill to it. Mine is just setting on the ground and getting it all leveled up is a pain. Once those things are fixed it's a good mill. I was chaining logs to the bucket of my tractor to load the deck which is also a major time loss. Got a couple forks that fit on the bucket which speeds loading up signifigantly.
Hope you don’t mind a stranger jumping in here. I was curious if you have any thoughts on an optimal height for that mill. Of course when it’s set up on a trailer it will be higher than what you show in your picture. I’m getting ready to pour a slab and really don’t know if I should make accommodations for having it elevated. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

OP
M

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you don’t mind a stranger jumping in here. I was curious if you have any thoughts on an optimal height for that mill. Of course when it’s set up on a trailer it will be higher than what you show in your picture. I’m getting ready to pour a slab and really don’t know if I should make accommodations for having it elevated. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.
All good man Tesoro I enjoy talking about milling. Eventually, I would like my mill 2 feet off the ground for a couple reasons. Alot of setup is done at the bottom of the log. Wedging the end to account for taper, dogging the log, picking up the cut lumber all involves bending to ground level which I dont like. Getting a couple feet higher would be a back relief. Plus when it snows I wouldn't have to unbury the mill! Turning the log with the peavey might be more difficult with the additional height but I dont know because I only have 25 hours on the mill. There is a increased risk of injury with the additional height. You'll love the smell of fresh cut pine or whatever wood is in your area. Pine is my favorite smell.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good man Tesoro I enjoy talking about milling. Eventually, I would like my mill 2 feet off the ground for a couple reasons. Alot of setup is done at the bottom of the log. Wedging the end to account for taper, dogging the log, picking up the cut lumber all involves bending to ground level which I dont like. Getting a couple feet higher would be a back relief. Plus when it snows I wouldn't have to unbury the mill! Turning the log with the peavey might be more difficult with the additional height but I dont know because I only have 25 hours on the mill. There is a increased risk of injury with the additional height. You'll love the smell of fresh cut pine or whatever wood is in your area. Pine is my favorite smell.
I’m looking forward to it for sure. Thanks for the info!

OP
M

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2 months of prospecting! I panned I crushed I milled I assayed and I .... FAILED! All is not wasted though did find some tasty mushrooms. Bumper crop year for Corals and Admirable Boletes (not pictured) and a smackerel of morels. The other good that came out of the prospecting was I know where not to look. I now know I am not an assayer. We got the mill fired up and running what a contraption that is! Water slinging everywhere off the shaker table, noise to wake the dead with rocks cracking against steel, 3304 cat engine roaring in the canyon, ball crusher tumbling cannonballs and quartz it was a beautiful mess. Ran one ton of material through it not a speck of gold which made sense after I got the official assay results back from a real assayer. Other thing I learned about is the sierra blaster. Did quite a bit of blasting breaking up a huge boulder of float quartz which went very well. If I do find the golden boulder it will be reduced to crushable chunks rather quickly. The last day I was there I found a tunnel I hadn't yet explore. Didn't really have time to do it properly but did a quick peek and it cross cutted 100 feet into the hill before hitting the vein. At that point the cross cut tee-d following the vein. To the right I could see where they had pecked at it with a pickaxe and it ended abruptly. About a 2 foot wide seam of blackish clay gunk material. Nothing exciting. To the left I looked up and my flashlight could not see to the top of where they had stoped! This is the first stope I have found on the claim. Being that stoping isn't really done unless there is valuable ore the stope has given me new hope. However I won't be able to sample until next year which is irritating. So... Wait...... Then I'm going to cut a trench in the floor of that stope send the sample to a proper assayer and hope for the best.

Attachments

• mushrooms.jpg
    mushrooms.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread