✅ SOLVED Eastlake Doorknob?? Sad iron and w mysterious square stamped tin pieces?

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eastlake Doorknob. Bullets. Sad iron and mysterious square stamped tin pieces?

I was metal detecting on the site of a southern Ohio cabin that dates back to @1850 or earlier (only foundation remains) and found many interesting but unidentifiable artifacts. The doorknob is my favorite. I wouldn't have known anything about it but for another post I discovered on this site that seems to suggest it is an "East Lake" style doorknob. What is befuddling me are the three square tin pieces found in a nearby farmers field. Would they have been protective covers for fence posts?

What is interesting about this site is that Mosby's Rangers are said to have passed right by this property in Ohio - it's well documented. Most of the fired civil war era rounds I found lack the rich white patina I would usually expect to find on rounds that are that old so I am wondering if they are simply later muzzle loaded rounds used for hunting? Any information is much appreciated. Including any advice on how to remove the rust from the sad iron. I don't have an electrolysis apparatus.

The tiny cap pistol dates to around 1950 - Tiny Tots "the pal" by Kilgore, Westerville Ohio

IMG_0438.jpg IMG_0435.jpg IMG_0440.jpg IMG_0441.jpg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your square washers are from roof shingles.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Cudamark, that’s the best guess yet. I think you may be right.

Upvote 1

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, google capped roofing nails and you'll see some. They make them with round and square washers and both plastic and metal versions.

Upvote 1

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice assortment of artifacts. When I find door knobs/latches I imagine that one time the original property owner held it. Connects you to them. The football-shaped sad iron appears to be an old iron. Regarding electrolysis apparatus - I wound up making my own with a car charger, plastic tub, a threaded rod, and a few wing nuts. There are plenty of directions and diagrams on the internet. Plus on other Tnet sub-forums some have posted tips on doing electrolysis and what to do w/ the pieces when the process is done. Good luck!

Upvote 2

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
top right rusty thing (2nd Photo) looks like it may contain a radiator cap

Upvote 0

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the square washer looking things are used to attach insulation boards to a roof deck before installing the roofing material,usually used on flat roofs,attached with screws.Sometimes used to attach the same insulation to walls.Old time commercial roofer here.Could be wrong,have been before!As a guess on your bullets,of the four that are not smashed I,d say two are some kind of Minie bullet due to the style of grooves and the other two are more modern using the same standard.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice assortment of artifacts. When I find door knobs/latches I imagine that one time the original property owner held it. Connects you to them. The football-shaped sad iron appears to be an old iron. Regarding electrolysis apparatus - I wound up making my own with a car charger, plastic tub, a threaded rod, and a few wing nuts. There are plenty of directions and diagrams on the internet. Plus on other Tnet sub-forums some have posted tips on doing electrolysis and what to do w/ the pieces when the process is done. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips!

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apple cider vinegar and a 3 month soak with the occasional brushing and changing of vinegar will get the rust, it’s a long process but super gentle and the most effective method I’ve used.

Upvote 1

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The second photo looks like an iron.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread