Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would have him start with the simplest machine, and let him learn
about the more technical aspects as he goes along.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's simple, the Simplex. Wireless, rechargeable, updateable, waterproof all for 254.00 on Amazon! Turn it on, pick a mode and detect, as easy as that! Kids nowadays would take to even the most advanced detectors way faster than us old geezers...

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's simple, the Simplex. Wireless, rechargeable, updateable, waterproof all for 254.00 on Amazon! Turn it on, pick a mode and detect, as easy as that! Kids nowadays would take to even the most advanced detectors way faster than us old geezers...
It’s in the Amazon cart, but then I got worried. Maybe less buttons would be easier? This is for a guy who used to program computers in the 80s. But I guess gets frustrated easier nowadays.
Thanks for the reassurance

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have him start with the simplest machine, and let him learn
about the more technical aspects as he goes along.
I was asking, what’s the simplest? That is worth it’s weight, in your opinion?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was asking, what’s the simplest? That is worth it’s weight, in your opinion?

I can tell you what I would do in the same situation, and that is I'd give
Bart at Big Boys Hobbies a call. All the vendors are good, it's just that
I've had good dealings with Bart in the past, and know that he won't steer you wrong.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they're no longer made and getting a bit more difficult to find, but you might want to consider a Tesoro Compadre (or a somewhat similar model). They're light weight, ergonomic, very simple to use, and loads of fun. Mine is mostly a loaner unit now - I let the neighbor's kids use it when they want to tag along with me.

I think the other machines (suggested) are all viable options as well.

The Garrett ACE series might be something to look into. Outside the Apex (possibly another consideration) I have no experience with the ACE machines, but my understanding is that they're very simple machines.

I second the suggestion to give Bart a call. He is a great guy and he will help steer you in the right direction.

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought is Compadre if you can even find one. Then maybe a Fisher F22 or F44 if it starts raining. Even the Ace 200 or 300. He sounds like he is like me. I came close to shooting a TV back in 2013, right before I quit watching TV altogether. Keep it simple. None of my machines look like the inside of the Millennium Falcon and they mostly go deeper and get me to the next hole faster. Maybe a Vanquish.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he's going to hunt a salt water beach, I would recommend the Equinox or wait just a bit until the Legend hits the shelves. Single frequency machines can be frustrating to use in salt conditions, so, your FIL might end up throwing anything else you give him in the surf! :laughing7:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F22 is very simple and has nice iron audio but overpriced. I would take a look at a Quest X5 or X10 they are less than $200. The correct answer is the Tesoro Compadre or umax if you can get your hands on one. (Good Luck though!) Deeptech makes very similar machines but I couldn't sell them here for under $400 with all the cheap alternatives and mulit-freq machines.

Also although I have personally never used one the Ace 250 and Fisher F5 series are simple machines if you can find one used for under $200.

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you what I would do in the same situation, and that is I'd give
Bart at Big Boys Hobbies a call. All the vendors are good, it's just that
I've had good dealings with Bart in the past, and know that he won't steer you wrong.

BART is great, I got my last machine there. And I’ve got my legend pre-order in from him as well! Maybe I’ll give him a shout thanks

OP
OP
D

Dconcb

Mar 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know he’s going to want to saltwater hunt, which is kind of why I’m torn between the Simplex and the vanquish. I use a fisher f44 and I could see him getting frustrated with the manual ground balance at the beach.
Tesoro any good at a salt beach?
I’ve personally always wanted one myself! Thanks for all the suggestions.
He’s not an idiot by Any means! He’s actually extremely smart and can rebuild just about anything mechanically. But he does seem to be getting frustrated with electronics in his older years

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know he’s going to want to saltwater hunt, which is kind of why I’m torn between the Simplex and the vanquish. I use a fisher f44 and I could see him getting frustrated with the manual ground balance at the beach.
He’s not an idiot by Any means! He’s actually extremely smart and can rebuild just about anything mechanically. But he does seem to be getting frustrated with electronics in his older years
saltwater and beach I would go the Vanquish route - Bart @ Big boy Hobbies. Tesoro not the route you want to go for salt beach also not water resistant or proof.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simplex is just a single frequency, so, not a good wet/water salt water beach detector. The Vanquish will work fine, but, it's not waterproof. I wouldn't recommend buying a detector from a company that is now out of business.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C-Scope is makeing a few very simple few-button machines that works quite well too. I think it's CS1MX and CS770XD, and one more i can't remember.....- with some guy's signature on it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided on the vanquish 540. Seems simple enough to get the hang of. And beach reviews seem good.
:icon_thumright: Just don't drop it in the water.

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m 62, new at detecting, and I’m learning on the 540 Vanquish. Now, just because I’m older, don’t assume that these little machines are one button simple. There is a learning curve, to be sure. But nice little prizes can be found. Here’s my first silver! A 1944 Indian Rupee on a central Iowa camp ground of all places. Once he gets bit by the silver bug, he won’t stop.
30828131-1D84-4F82-AC04-C1471B76C664.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread