EBay Return Appeal

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically I had a buyer claim something arrived damaged, so I asked for pics and specifics and they wouldn't provide them and started getting snotty and opened a NAD case for a return. I allowed a return because eBay said if I got it back and it didn't differ at all from the description I could appeal. So I got it back and as expected it was not damaged in any way and was exactly as it was shown in the description. So, I followed through the appeal process as instructed by representatives. I was told by 4 separate representatives after they reviewed the messages and everything that this was a case of return fraud and a buyer misusing returns. Shock surprise, the appeals team already sent me a message and said that I lost the appeal. I guess next time I'll just cut a whole bunch out of the refund for a "restocking fee". I guess there is no way to win a case as a seller

Reactions: kac

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically I had a buyer claim something arrived damaged, so I asked for pics and specifics and they wouldn't provide them and started getting snotty and opened a NAD case for a return. I allowed a return because eBay said if I got it back and it didn't differ at all from the description I could appeal. So I got it back and as expected it was not damaged in any way and was exactly as it was shown in the description. So, I followed through the appeal process as instructed by representatives. I was told by 4 separate representatives after they reviewed the messages and everything that this was a case of return fraud and a buyer misusing returns. Shock surprise, the appeals team already sent me a message and said that I lost the appeal. I guess next time I'll just cut a whole bunch out of the refund for a "restocking fee". I guess there is no way to win a case as a seller
Could you have refused the return? Sounds like the buyer was not playing fair from the start. Been selling on eBay since 1998 and can count the number of returns on part of one hand for all returns since then. I do know that their customer service for sellers is crapola.

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably worth checking the buyers reviews. Amazon is worse for merchants with returns. No easy answer for the little guy trying to sell anything these days.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I could, but the buyer filed it as a not as described case, which is mandatory, and if you don't accept it, eBay just goes in and forces it. Basically any other return I can decline. The buyer did this the perfect way to play the system. That's what's frustrating.
Could you have refused the return? Sounds like the buyer was not playing fair from the start. Been selling on eBay since 1998 and can count the number of returns on part of one hand for all returns since then. I do know that their customer service for sellers is crapola.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably worth checking the buyers reviews. Amazon is worse for merchants with returns. No easy answer for the little guy trying to sell anything these days.
I did go ahead and report them for it. It can't hurt I guess

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah Amazon definitely is the worst for returns if you are a seller

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes with the territory. Ebay does not have the ability or inclination to research a case and determine who is at fault. Report the abuse of the return system and if those complaints stack up on a buyer ebay may take action.

But FWIW, most higher volume ebay sellers allow returns because it is too easy for a dishonest buyer to abuse the system anyway.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes with the territory. Ebay does not have the ability or inclination to research a case and determine who is at fault. Report the abuse of the return system and if those complaints stack up on a buyer ebay may take action.

But FWIW, most higher volume ebay sellers allow returns because it is too easy for a dishonest buyer to abuse the system anyway.
Yeah and a lot of people like the top rated plus benefits which requires you to offer 14 day returns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread