Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A good pinpointer for the money

You can never go wrong with a Garrett ProPointer. It isn't waterproof, but it is awesome!

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would suggest paying the extra $40 or so and getting the propointer as well. Its huge time saver!

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yep, got to back up the above advice. After starting in June, I soon needed a pinpointer and went the most natural route by buying on the cheap, AutoMAX Precision V2 Pinpointer off of Ebay for about $30. It works good but has drawbacks, like length of the probe and body size. It helped me find my first $90 in clad but I still wanted a Propointer. My Propointer got here yesterday and after using it for the first time this afternoon, I won't look back.

See if you can figure out a way to add money to the gift to get the Propointer.

Cliff

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the White's BullsEye and I wish I had spent my money on a Garrett. If that helps.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Why waste money! The harbor freight is only about $17 And it has the same pickup range as the propointer plus it has a range adjustment knob that the propointer doesn't have. If you like to mod. things, the HF is easy to add features like a detect LED light for silent hunting etc. You can't mod a propointer and it cost app. $150. The HF Fr I use is over a year old and still going strong.
Frank

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to go along with the .....Harbor Freight Cen-Teck pinpointer... for about $17.00 it works great.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqQOKiYE3lCCOq3SBOElyyUcuQ~~0_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqQOKiYE3lCCOq3SBOElyyUcuQ~~0_3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 950
    52 KB · Views: 886

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the Propointer I went through Several Harbor freights Cheap Crap Before Making the Right Choice!!! If you go Cheap Keep it away from Dirt and Water HH Chug

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Chug, what does your propointer do that the HF does not due? Yes, I agree it is cheap. You can buy about 9 HF pinpointers for the price of one propointer. In the actual test of both pointers on T Net , they both pick up a dime at the same distance So what did you get for the extra $130 ? Frank

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Chug and Red said:
Get the Propointer I went through Several Harbor freights Cheap Crap Before Making the Right Choice!!! If you go Cheap Keep it away from Dirt and Water HH Chug
I know that for some that $125.00 is out of reach... I was there at one time... So the Harbor Freight pinpointer will last for some time if you treat it right.................And it does go as deep as the Pro Pointer....... I use the Pro Pointer and i also use the Harbor Freight Cen-Tech..... And it is not cheap ... It just cost less..............

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Edit: A good pinpointer for around $0-80

Owned several - Centec, automax, bullseye - and thy are next to useless. Save your money until you have enough to buy the Garrett Propointer. You won't regret it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I notice there are a lot of comments to buy the pro pointer but no technical reason to do it. I realize it has a cult following. I just use a pinpointer to locate a target in the ground and the HF has worked fine for me, but then I treat my equipment with care so the HF has lasted over a year and found every target I used it on. Frank

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Chug, what does your propointer do that the HF does not due? Yes, I agree it is cheap. You can buy about 9 HF pinpointers for the price of one propointer. In the actual test of both pointers on T Net , they both pick up a dime at the same distance So what did you get for the extra $130 ? Frank

The biggest Problem with the Harbor Freight one is the Button, On the Garrets you just turn it on and Go With the HF one you have to Hold the Button Down to use it the button is Cheap and If any moisture or Dirt get in It starts Having Problems!!!! then you have to take it apart to clean the Contacts on the Button Over and Over the only solutions are Replacing the Button with a different switch of Placing the Detector In a Ziplock bag after putting a hole big enough for the Probe to Go through to Keep the Dirt and Moisture out of the Button!!!

I just Got tired Of dealing with Cheap And Went With The Recommendation's Of Several Tnet Members

Tools Are meant to Be used, and I'm Rough with tools and the Propointer Is built Tough and Well!!!

Plus In my experience to Propointer Has Better depth!!! HH Chug

This is what My first Pinpointer looked Like after a Week see Pic

Attachments

• automax.jpg
    automax.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 980

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Chug and Red said:
Frankn said:

The biggest Problem with the Harbor Freight one is the Button, On the Garrets you just turn it on and Go With the HF one you have to Hold the Button Down to use it the button is Cheap and If any moisture or Dirt get in It starts Having Problems!!!! then you have to take it apart to clean the Contacts on the Button Over and Over the only solutions are Replacing the Button with a different switch of Placing the Detector In a Ziplock bag after putting a hole big enough for the Probe to Go through to Keep the Dirt and Moisture out of the Button!!!

I just Got tired Of dealing with Cheap And Went With The Recommendation's Of Several Tnet Members

Tools Are meant to Be used, and I'm Rough with tools and the Propointer Is built Tough and Well!!!

Plus In my experience to Propointer Has Better depth!!! HH Chug

This is what My first Pinpointer looked Like after a Week see Pic
Yes you are hard on your detectors................... But the pinpointer you have a picture up of is a Kellyco junk pinpointer ....Not a Cen-Tech....... The Harbor Freight pinpointer is better than the kellyco This is what a Harbor Freight Cen-Tech looks like

Attachments

52 KB · Views: 881
    52 KB · Views: 868

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Chug, I will give you the point. The early HF pinpointers had inferior pushbuttons that broke, but they have been improved. I replaced my switch. I have never gotten any dirt into my pinpointer, but then I treat my pinpointer like an electronic instrument that it is, not like my shovel. It looks like you just paid the price for abusing your equipment. Actually it doesn't look broken, it looks like it was taken apart or fellapart in which case it could have been glued back together. The propointer has a nice compact design but this can also cause problems. It is hard to disassemble without destroying the switch and the circuit board is literally jammed in there which has caused board failures that have been reported here on T Net. You are dead wrong about pickup distance as shown here on an actual video of a test comparison here on TNet.As far as the switch action, I prefer a unit that automatically turns off. The batteries last longer. I change mine once a year, they don't actually wear out. Frank

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I relle don't need something that costs $130....I could spend an extra like 50 and buy a new metal detector for that. Even if it was a gift that's too much....I just want somethin I can shove into the ground and get a decent reading on coins and jewelry and doesn't break easily

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Chug, I will give you the point. The early HF pinpointers had inferior pushbuttons that broke, but they have been improved. I replaced my switch. I have never gotten any dirt into my pinpointer, but then I treat my pinpointer like an electronic instrument that it is, not like my shovel. It looks like you just paid the price for abusing your equipment. Actually it doesn't look broken, it looks like it was taken apart or fellapart in which case it could have been glued back together. The propointer has a nice compact design but this can also cause problems. It is hard to disassemble without destroying the switch and the circuit board is literally jammed in there which has caused board failures that have been reported here on T Net. You are dead wrong about pickup distance as shown here on an actual video of a test comparison here on TNet.As far as the switch action, I prefer a unit that automatically turns off. The batteries last longer. I change mine once a year, they don't actually wear out. Frank

Guess I should have noted better that the Picture Was My first Pinpointer from KellyCo >>>>>Then i went through several HF Ones all of them Had issues with the Button Looks just like the One You Pictured Chug

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting thread. Thanks--I like a healthy discussion.

All the best,

Lanny

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HuntNdig said:
i would suggest paying the extra $40 or so and getting the propointer as well. Its huge time saver!
This !....+1....You will be very happy if you spend the extra 40$ Its more than worth it!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Frank please forgive me for butting in but I had a Harbor freight pointer it lasted about 1 month & I also feel the range on it wasnt even close to the propointer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread