Effigy Mounds • Pre-Columbian Mounds • Marker Trees

cmart63

Aug 11, 2013
Hi Friends: Please post information regarding Effigy Mounds or other mound sites. I am extremely fortunate live within 5 miles of this newly discovered Effigy Mound, located in Jackson County, Georgia. The county has purchased the land and will construct a public park/viewing area. This happens to ONLY 1 of 3 effigy mounds discovered East of the Mississippi River. I practice amateur Archeology when I am not at my regular income-producing source. I own land that has a mound site thereon and is estimated to be over 3,000 years old and with some possible Mayan-type influence. Our world is opening up to those who have open minds.
EFFIGY MOUND SITE.R1.jpg

Upvote 8

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the man mound in baraboo wisconsin..

OP
OP
cmart63

cmart63

Aug 11, 2013
I went to Effigy Mounds National Monument years ago as a kid. Those mounds were earthen mounds on the west bank of the Mississippi. It is sad that so many mounds were plowed under.
GREAT point. Here in the Southeast USA, the same has occurred as well. However, many people have become interested in preserving our ancient sites, and the city/county governments are beginning to pay attention. Obviously, many developers are not so interested.

OP
OP
cmart63

cmart63

Aug 11, 2013
Northeast Georgia still has many earthen mound sites remaining, mainly because they are adjacent to rivers and creeks and in flood plain areas. It is extremely exciting to me to find pottery shards and arrowheads adjacent to the mounds.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes it is a recognized effigy .. there is also a snake mound a few miles away.. google it .. mounds in baraboo wi...

NorILdigcollector

Sep 23, 2015
Northern IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT point. Here in the Southeast USA, the same has occurred as well. However, many people have become interested in preserving our ancient sites, and the city/county governments are beginning to pay attention. Obviously, many developers are not so interested.
That's true. I found this shell gorget and a small piece of copper when I was a kid playing in the piles of dirt in a new housing development. My Mom told me she used to find arrowheads in that field as well.
20220322_204132.jpg

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's true. I found this shell gorget and a small piece of copper when I was a kid playing in the piles of dirt in a new housing development. My Mom told me she used to find arrowheads in that field as well. View attachment 2033487
That is a very rare and amazing find. You are lucky to have found it. Post it in the North American Indian Artifacts forum. Everyone would love to see it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread