Egyptian Rolling Block

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally got around to taking some pictures of the old girl......

Typical Egyptian M1868 No 1 Remington Rolling Block, chambered in .43 Egyptian aka 11.43x50R. Finished in the white (This is correct some where left in the white and some were blued) well worn from years of service, marked several times in Arabic. My reading has shown that only numbers not words were marked on these rifles by the Egyptians. Well the one marking is a word, the meaning of the word eludes me right now. I've reached out to a couple Arab speaking friends for help on it.

Last patent date listed on the tang is March 18th 1874, so from what I can tell it was made between 1874 and 1876, as the last delivery was supposedly in 1876.

Need to order a few parts and hunt some down.

1) Extractor, found it.
2) Extractor retaining pin, found it.
3) Firing pin, found it.
4) Firing pin retaining pin, found it.
5) Rear barrel band with screw, found it (Original barrel band screw is MIA and the hole for it is buggered up)
6) Replacement sling swivel for middle barrel band, found it (Old swivel is about worn through).
7) Firing pin retractor......Still looking for that one.
8) Bayonet, I'll look around and see if I can find one at a decent price.
9) Sling, still trying to figure out what the proper sling for these are.

So found 6 of the 7 main parts needed right off the bat, not too bad of a start, then the two accessories to round it out.

Markings on the rifle.

١٣٩٣ Translates as 1393
٢٨٤٧ج Translates as C 2847
١٩١ Translate as 191
غ Translates as G
ح Translates as H
خءذب or خءزب Translates as ?

Plus the EP half moon (Date is worn off), supposedly the EP stands for Egyptian Protectorate or Egyptian Police.

Trigger assembly tang SN G 7895
Receiver assembly tang SN 40308 (Official serial number for records purposes)

20201120_155954.jpg

20201120_160018.jpg

20201120_160043.jpg

20201120_160107.jpg

20201120_160132.jpg

20201120_160321.jpg

20201120_160348.jpg

SMOF7127.jpg

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a very sturdy weapon. You can even get cartridges
for it, but for 20 rounds they're $150.. shoot.gif

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a very sturdy weapon. You can even get cartridges
for it, but for 20 rounds they're $150.. View attachment 1881158

Got two that the rounds are ridiculously high, this one and a 1879 Swiss Vetterli M69/71. Then there is my 1863 P1853 Snider-Enfield, which can be made for cheap with 24 Gauge plastic shotgun hulls or brass shot shells.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool peice. IMO the Egyptian script tells a nice story but it kinda screws up the beauty of a working part of American history and innovation. That rolling breech block from Remington was the strongest breech ever designed at the time. You can't stuff enough black powder and lead in the barrel to blow that breech, and with the innovation of metal cartridges the chances of enemy fire destroying ammunition storage magazines was reduced to minimal. Thanks for the photographs.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool peice. IMO the Egyptian script tells a nice story but it kinda screws up the beauty of a working part of American history and innovation. That rolling breech block from Remington was the strongest breech ever designed at the time. You can't stuff enough black powder and lead in the barrel to blow that breech, and with the innovation of metal cartridges the chances of enemy fire destroying ammunition storage magazines was reduced to minimal. Thanks for the photographs.

Yeah, kind of like graffiti......I've got a early Chinese SKS made under Soviet supervison that went to Albania as aid that has names and initials carved into the stock.

J.B. on the right side of the buttstock
FZ on the right side of the forestock beneath the handguard area
EM on the right side of the forestock beneath the handguard area
Ism. Muh. on the left side of stock above the trigger assembly (Could be Ismail Muhammad)
P. Komcë on the left side of stock above the trigger assembly

You are correct in that it detracts from the weapon on one hand, but tells a story on another hand. Just would be nice to know those stories.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the SKS. I got a yugo m59/66 made in the 80's for Muslims to use killing other Muslims. All matching serial numbers, no stamps, just the initials "J.S." Scribed on the stock and an "N" or "z" that was scratched in with a knife. The tip of the folding bayonet is bent a little. I like to think it got bent from a Muslim sticking it into another Muslim. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well today the mail-lady dropped off a package that wasn't scheduled to get here until the 27th of the month. So I was happy to say the least.

Damn these Yataghan sword bayonets are heavy buggers and long. Regardless it fits nice and tight on the Egyptian Rolling Block, now the hunt for an appropriate sling begins.

Couldn't believe how heavy the rifle without the bayonet was, then add this thing and it's a heavy beast. Just can't imagine small frame people, of the 1800s, lugging that damn thing around. That and it's over 6 feet long with it installed.

A few shots, plus an over all shot of the Ole Gal and her "Attention Getter"!

20210123_150719.jpg

20210123_151517.jpg

20210123_221257.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A short update, all the missing pieces, except for a barrel band screw, have been replaced/installed. I'm going to make a replacement sling swivel, for the middle barrel band, as the original is about to snap as it's so worn.

She looks better, and we are looking at doing some light loads for her, and letting her belch smoke and fire again.

20210128_151856-2.jpg

So I've started my hunt for my next rifle or pistol to add to the stable. Got a line on a nice CZ82, that would look good with my CZ83 and CZ53.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions