DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is generally believed the "Egyptians in the Grand Canyon" article was originally written by Joseph Mulhatton, the "Baron von Munchausen of America", or someone imitating his style. Much of the phrasing and descriptions are similar to other stories Mulhatton had written previously.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
It is generally believed the "Egyptians in the Grand Canyon" article was originally written by Joseph Mulhatton, the "Baron von Munchausen of America", or someone imitating his style. Much of the phrasing and descriptions are similar to other stories Mulhatton had written previously.

It would appear he was in that area only a few years earlier...

This is the first time I've heard this name connected with this story (or with any story, frankly)...I'll keep looking and see where the evidence leads me..

Attachments

• Joe Mulhatton 12 Feb 2901.pdf
    308.4 KB · Views: 84

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Why does the Smithsonian deny Kincaid, any involvement... Yet No Go areas...

It's not just the Smithsonian denying Kincaid - no one else has been able to verify this person ever existed either. Surely a government sponsored expedition conducted by men of learning and distinguished letters would have left more evidence of their existence than a single newspaper article.

There are plenty of "no-go" areas in the Canyon National Park. Some are for safety reasons, some are ecological, some are tribal, some are archaeological, and some are combinations of all these. Many caves and shelters in the Canyon bear evidence of human settlement from ancient times. Frank Dobie's book on treasure legends triggered a flood of treasure-hunters digging up rock and cave shelters looking for gold (but only found pottery and bones).

IMHO, the Kincaid Cave story was part of an organized campaign by religious interests to manufacture evidence, or the perception, that North American southwest had a flourishing trade with ancient Hebrews and Egyptians.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Amigo Yes I cannot agree more with your comments. Its a sad day that society wants culturally misappropriate one old world culture to another new world region that demigrates the Culture that is there. I think the native cultures that built those amazing cliff dwellings deserve to be appreciated as equals with any old world culture.

Kanacki

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do your research when it pertains to old newspaper articles. The old printing presses required exact spacing to fit on the page, so they frequently wrote fantasy articles disguised at truth to fill in blank spaces.

Then again, DNA proves the aboriginal people of Australia are originally from South America, so it is also wise to open the mind to new possibilities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions