El Capitan Mountain (Smokeys home) Aztec Gold?

Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 7163387531_65f58767f5_z.jpg
    7163387531_65f58767f5_z.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 727

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near capitan. It apparently got its name of Spaniards who frequented the area back in the 1600s. There are alot of hidden mysterious places on this mountain. Its VERY rugged and steep. We had a MAJOR fire not too long ago, so rugged they just let it burn. Billy the Kid came through here often on his way to Ft. Sumner. I go here several times a month. there are several caves that I know of and a spot that has a vein of 10" quartz crystals oozing out of the side of the mountain.

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little story always makes go hmmmm......

3-19-37. 670 words INTERVIEW

Rufus M. Dunnahoo

(Age Eighty-eight Years) Oldest Roswell Pioneer
Geronimo's Band Indians Stole Teams Horses.

"We hadn't been at Seven Rivers long when Geronimo's Apaches came and stole all the teams-32head of their horses.

"I bought the old Beckwith Ranche and had my horses in a five foot high and two foot thick, adobe corral, near the house so the Indians didn't get mine. Indians Disappeared in Cave

Another time Geronimo and sixteen other Indians broke out of the Mescalero Reservation one day, and the soldiers after them tho'ught they had them safe in a cave about two and a half miles east, a little north of Fort Stanton, two hundred yards from the Bonito River. The soldiers tho'ught to starve the Indians out, but the Indians never came back, so the soldiers tracked them thro'ugh the cave down a river about 14 miles.

The Indians went thro'ugh the cave to south side of Capitan Mountains and stole a bunch of horses and drove them on down this far,. They camped right where the New Mexico Military Institute is located now. I think Pat Garrett and a posse captured the Indians over in the Portales country.

"The cave tho'se Indians and soldiers went in is not as large or as beautiful as Carlsbad Caverns. There is one big room. An underground river flows thro'ugh all of the cave.

I know where this exit is. I will never tell a soul due to the fact every time you tell an agent they close it off with a cage.

Maveryck42

Aug 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where this exit is. I will never tell a soul due to the fact every time you tell an agent they close it off with a cage.

I know this thread is old but this story interests me a ton. We doing a tv program in the area and this seems like an awesome potential story. Are you still on here and willing to talk?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread