El Dorado California Volcanoville

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Forgotten now are the thousand or more places where much of El Dorado County’s history was written. In mining camps and towns such as… Hell Roaring Diggings, Loafer’s Hollow, Whiskey Flat, George’s Town, and Poverty Flat. The names of other camps frequently told you much about who was mining there… Chile Bar (Chileans), Kanakatown (Hawaiians), Frenchtown, Alabama Flat, Texas Bar, Cooley Mine (Chinese), Indian Diggings, Mormon Gulch, even Puritan Camp. Forever consigned to the records of time each of these camps had it’s own unique and often colorful history. One such place is the ghost town of Volcanoville where tales of it’s past includes mining, and buried treasures.

It was here during the days of the California Gold Rush when the Volcanoville boasted a lively population of thousands, including a large Chinatown. In the cemetery, two headstones remain which speak of the town’s past. The tombstones tell of two 49ers interred here -- both youths had been murdered for their miner’s poke by Gold Rush highwaymen.

Located in N.W. El Dorado County, Volcanoville sits just south of the Middle Fork of the American River. Today telephone poles along Volcanoville Road mark the edge of progress - stopping just short of the old town site where few old buildings stand in defiance of encroaching development.
Treasures

It was during the mid-1870’s when Volcanoville saw a serious decline in mining as many quartz mines played out. With gold more difficult to find, anger and hate for all non-Anglos in the diggings became a hot subject. Most Chinese were now working in the larger cities in Northern California, for those who remained in the Mother Lode they suffered the most since they represented competition to White miners. Such was the case in 1874 when Chinese miners discovered a 10 oz. pure gold nugget on their claim at the Cooley (Chinese) Mine in Volcanoville ....

One evening a group of miners gathered at a local saloon where their conversation turned towards the dreaded Chinese. With enough liquor, words quickly turned to action leading to the massacre of at least 15 Chinese that night. The Chinese miners were rounded up by the drunks and herded into a cabin. With the Chinese locked inside, the cabin was set a fire. Those who died in the inferno were only spared a bullet; those who ran from the flames and thick smoke were quickly gunned downed in flight. None survived.

While many Chinese were mining along the Middle Fork of the American River one group of 12 from Volcanoville was buried alive in a cave-in during the 1890’s. By the time aid reached the men they had died from suffocation.

Another story from Volcanoville tells of a wealthy Chinese store owner who ran a thriving general store. He sold out to another China man and himself returned to China. For years he remained in his homeland before returning to Volcanoville. He claimed he returned to retrieve a cache of gold he’d hidden years earlier. A major fire had destroyed much of the town in 1879 which left the older former store owner with no landmarks to guide him to his treasure. He returned several times over the next several years looking for his lost cache but never found it.

For years treasure hunters have sought to answer the question of the lost Chinese caches buried in and around Volcanoville.

Volcanoville was founded as a small trading post in 1851 but grew into a large prospering Gold Rush town by 1855. Other industry in the area included a steam driven sawmill and tannery at Mt. Gregory. Volcanoville became a voting prescient in 1854 and established it own Post Office in 1858. Mining became prosperous here again during the 1880’s and remained so through the 1890’s supporting a twenty-stamp mill. At that time the largest working quartz mine was the Josephine. As most of the town’s residents were employees of the Josephine Mine, in 1895 the Post Office changed the name of the town from Volcanoville to Josephine. The Josephine Post Office operated until discontinued in 1917. The town saw two devastating fires, the first in 1879 then again in 1907. All of the remaining original buildings to survive the 1879 fire were destroyed in the 1907 fire. A small community re-established itself here but the town never recovered.

See a pic of Volcanoville

Sources:
Hughey, Richard, El Dorado – California’s Empire County, (Placerville, CA., El Dorado Museums Commission, 2003) p. 155

Couture, J.A., Ghost Town Treasure, Treasure Quest Magazine, August - September 1973

Terry, Thomas P., U.S. Treasure Atlas, (La Crosse, WI., Specialty Publishing Co., 1985) p. 131

Attachments

• Volcanoville.jpg
    Volcanoville.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 4,940

racing33

Jun 26, 2007
What a coincidence. I grew up in the Georgetown, Placerville area of California. I know exactly where Volcanoville is as well as a lot of the other places that you mentioned. I used to swim and fish at chile bar when I was younger.
Take care
Bruce jr

T

TreasureTales

The Mother Lode is filled with colorful history and fanciful names for its towns. My personal favorite: Fiddletown. And another favorite is Smartville. Although I don't know off hand if those two towns are in El Dorado County (might be in Nevada County). Many county boundaries have changed through the years, so it would be wise for any would-be treasure hunters to keep that in mind when doing research.

racing33

Jun 26, 2007
I have heard of Fiddletown, but never been there. I have been to Volcanoville several times. My mother used to sell real estate around the Volcanoville area. I have seen this town listed as a ghost town but I can assure you that Volcanoville is not a ghost town, although the last time I was there there was no running water or electrical service. Mostly people looking to escape from the "rat race" were the local inhabitants.
I truly wish I was living back in El Dorado county right now instead of out here in Michigan, all my family is in the El Dorado county area. What a beautiful area.
Bruce jr

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Hey Gypsyheart its been a long time. We swapped info. on the Dillinger suitcase cache many moons ago. Thanks for posting my article on Volcanoville, in El Dorado County! I can't recall when I wrote the article but I took that photo
(the lower one) at least two years ago. I'm curious where you can across the story? Keep up the great work!!

Best regards,
Anthony M. Belli 8)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Gypsy mi LUV, MY father was born in 'rough & Ready, The only town to secede from the Union, however they were bought bk by a keg of beer. Even had their own flag for a day or so.

I was raised in Grass Valley where my father and his brother worked at the Idaho / Maryland mine.

You might say my roots are in the mother lode.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The-Hangman said:
Hey Gypsyheart its been a long time. We swapped info. on the Dillinger suitcase cache many moons ago. Thanks for posting my article on Volcanoville, in El Dorado County! I can't recall when I wrote the article but I took that photo
(the lower one) at least two years ago. I'm curious where you can across the story? Keep up the great work!!

Best regards,
Anthony M. Belli 8)

Great story and wonderful pics...You need to get more out there..Which one is yours .....I have been going through alot of old magazines and clippings lately....when I was younger I used to fill scrap books with pages of treasures and ghost towns.....now I regret that as I ripped them from the magazine....LOL

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Gypsyheart,
I wrote the Volcanoville story several years ago and the lower pic (of the old house) is mine. If you read Lost Treasure you'd see many of my articles and stories every month... I'm now writing the State Treasure Tales & News each month and it is something I've always wanted to do since I began reading the magazine over 20 years ago. Of course 20 years ago I was in better health & better shape and could be found digging holes throughout the southwest. I love the desert and live in the mountains these days and being retired from law enforcement enjoy all of it. I just don't get out as much these days, but am making plans to visit some old Gold Rush ghost towns up north and will be writing about my experiences, the history of the towns I visit and there tales of lost treasures to run in 2008! I also plan to visit a few in Nevada when it cools down some. Who knows maybe I'll kick over a stone and find some treasure! Or get bite by a snake. What the hell its all part of the fun. Just wanted to say "Hi" and thank you for putting up that old Volcanoville story. I always enjoy reading your posts. Best wishes and best of luck on the hunt girl. Take care.

Happy Hunting,
The Hangman 8)
aka: Anthony Belli ;)

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Anthony
Thanks for writing it. Do you have any other pics you could add or any further reflections on the area? Fantastic story and research. Thank you! Do not get bit by a snake!!!!

HH
Christy

Did you not get my pm's a week ago or so?

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Oops - I got PM's. I'll have to figure out how that works. I have some other pics I can post or send to you.

HM

ps. - Its Aug. 14th I will figure out how to find my PM's and get back to you. I am not all that active on here ???

racing33

Jun 26, 2007
Hang-Man,
How long have you lived in Placerville, Ca? I ask because I spent the better part of my life growing up around the Placerville, Camino, Pollock Pines, and Garden Valley areas. From age to young to remember to about 30 years old. I live in Michigan now, but all my relatives live around those areas. I went to Pinewood Elementary school, and El Dorado High school. Heck for all I know, I might even know you or your relatives. My father has been around those parts for the better part of his life. I wish I was back there oftenly. I left due to way high cost of housing in Ca, and other various reasons. I miss all the woodlands and mountains. Michigan is not completely flat, but damm close to it.
Bruce jr

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Hi Bruce, I'm glad to hear from you. It seems like on every forum I'm a member of I get the same emails... people are always from here and currently "mis-placed" to some other locale in the US... and always miss this area and want to come back. Truly in the past month I must have had 6 or more similar forum posts. With that let me say I feel blessed to be here. I'm located just a few blocks from where you went to school at Pinewood. I've been in Pollock for 16 - 17 years, moved here in 92. I had never heard of Pollock and pulled off 50 at Snowline one day and before leaving town that day (It was a Tuesday in late Feb. 92) I rented a house, then went home, packed and moved here and I'm still here. At the time I was living in L.A. where I was born, and will never return. ;D Ever! :)

I'm retired from law enforcement and write for Lost Treasure magazine and have no plans to re-locate again, I really love it here. Being in the gold country also provides me with tons of material to write about as well as some recreational time to learn dredging and do some fishing. I wrote a book on lost, buried and sunken treasure of the Lake Tahoe region and I'm now working on my second book. Heres the link to my Tahoe book: http://www.lulu.com/anthony-belli

And heres a pic of my BlaZeR2 last winter which will no doubt bring back some fond memories of home for you.

If you're ever get back in the area give me a PM / email and we'll get to gather and maybe go find some old Chinese caches of gold!

Happy Hunting,
Hangman 8)

Attachments

• BlaZeR2 snow pic.jpg
    BlaZeR2 snow pic.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,296

racing33

Jun 26, 2007
Hangman,
I believe I know exactly where your house is. The picture did stir some very fond memories of the Pollock Pines area. I am planning on making it back out there in the next years time. It has been way to long since I have seen my family. I will make sure to look you up when I get back that way. The last time I was out there Volcanoville was not a ghost town. My mother actually sold some property in Volcanoville and when I was there there were people living there. I used to live in Georgetown and as you know that is not to far from Volcanoville. When I make it back there for good I really want to do some dredgeing and panning on the American River.
Take care and happy hunting
Bruce jr

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Sounds great Bruce, I'm looking forward to it! Its hard to believe you could figure out where the pic was taken seeing how everything is covered in snow, but I guess its a Pollock thing. LOL :D

Happy Hunting,
Hangman

Attachments

• NOOSE 50.jpg
    NOOSE 50.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 3,937

racing33

Jun 26, 2007
Well I did spend most of my youth and teenage years roaming all around that area. As a matter of fact I grew up living in the cabins right behind the 13 mile post store. I do not know if they are there anymore or not. I used to fish at forebay pond. I used to dig quartz crystals out of the hillside on the way down to the American River. My Dad told me when I moved away that a person can move away from that area but they will always return at some point. Once you have been there you can not get it out of your system as you full well know.
Bruce jr

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Bruce,
Two things... #1- The cabins are still behind 13 mile post and are rentals. The front house on Pony Express Trail was recently improved and they did a lot of clean up work around the cabins. #2 - Jokingly we call what you're father described as... "The Pollock Curse." The curse says that anyone whose lived here and moves away, will one day return. It has worked just that way with many people I know, some spent years living elsewhere -- but they always come back. What's spooky is that I thought I had found this old logging town to hide out in when I first moved here, and as it turns out people all over know about Pollock. That's pretty rare for any small town to claim but its true. The other observation I've made is that Pollock was just an old logging town when I got here and today I call it a "BMW town" since all the people in the Bay area found out about it and bought up all the empty homes and land around here.

For years I have jokingly told people that true enough in 92 when I moved here it was a good possibility that you could be run over by some drunken logger that just pulled out of the Pine Lodge and forget about him having insurance let alone a drivers license. Today chances are you'd get run over by some yuppie driving a $100,000 BMW (or Mercedes) who is whacked out on meth or coke and if you survive no worries they all have insurance and licenses to drive. The point being the demographics have changed a lot over time. Maybe you recall the old name for Pony Express Trail in Pollock... "The welfare mile." That name became popular back during the depression, and remained popular through the time when the mill was here and on into the 90's. Today few remember that nickname and no one calls it that anymore. Truth is I miss the old days, back when we'd get hit with a snow storm and the power would go out, it could be a week or more before they could get electricity back to the town. And no one ever saw a snowplow on any side streets, and only once in awhile on Pony Express. Today the yuppies have bitched so loudly about any inconvenience that utility crews (power, cable, phone, etc.) are right on the job when anything goes down. They even plow EVERY DAMN street in town when it snows these days, thus ruining all the fun. I miss those days when the power went out, we burned candles and hurricane lamps at night and every house in town was doing the same. And no one cared! -- Sorry I'm rambling, but I do miss the old rustic days. ::)

You have a great weekend my friend,
Hangman 8)

Pic 1- At home - winter, near Bullion Bend.
Pic 2- Crystal hunting... 186 pounder!
Pic 3- My buddies "Jimmy" near Bassi Falls (Crystal Basin).
Pic-4- Sunset at Sly Park.

Attachments

• Snow play 001 (350 x 232).jpg
    Snow play 001 (350 x 232).jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,850
  • Joe\'s Crystal001 (350 x 233).jpg
    Joe\'s Crystal001 (350 x 233).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,893
  • Cam\'s Jimmy001 (350 x 233).jpg
    Cam\'s Jimmy001 (350 x 233).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,841
  • Sunset 1h JL (350 x 268).jpg
    Sunset 1h JL (350 x 268).jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,958

racing33

Jun 26, 2007
Hang Man,
Thanks for the pics. Especially the one of Sly Park. I spent many a day/night at Sly Park when I was a teen ager. Sorry to hear that Pollock has been so "modernized". Sounds like the "flat landers" have taken over now. It was bound to happen though. You just can not keep a place like that secret for very long. Especially these day when everyone is trying to escape from the "rat race" any way they can. The Pollock curse is real, don't even joke about that.
That is a huge crystal. My Dad has one that is pretty dang big also. He found his while doing some backhoe work out near Forebay. Do you remember the old Freshpond restaurant? How about the Chevron gas station that was there at Freshpond. My grandparents owned the Chevron gas station. I remember once as a kid I ate at the restaurant, had chili and it made me so sick.
Funny how as a youth I could not wait to get out of that boring little area. Now as an adult I try to get back to that boring little area as often as I can.
Take care
Bruce jr

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Bruce,
I hate to tell you this Bruce but you're correct it was bound to happen. Hwy. 50 sealed Pollock's fate long ago. >:(
Even Georgetown has felt the change, which surprises me since both roads into GT is treacherous at best. I see GT maybe 6 times or less a year and dread driving either road, but the flat-landers still moved there in spite of the roads.
Fresh Pond when I got here had burned down as I recall. The old sign still stands and has become a sort of historic marker. About a year ago it re-opened with a new building which is now a Chevron / mini-market and sandwich deli.

The old Safeway, is now a brand new Safeway complete with deli, bakery, florist and pharmacy. On the other side of their parking lost is a new strip mall with a Taco Bell, Long's Drug store, Kragen Auto Parts, and a couple of restaurants, and a few other things. Since I arrived Crystal View Station is no longer the old shack it was when I arrived. It has had 3 complete re-models and additions since. Its a Shell station with a good sized store, auto repair garage, U-Haul rentals and Subway sandwich shop. The old 13 Mile Post is gone. Now its a modern day Chevron with a mini-mart. Even though these upgrades have occurred we are still surrounded on 3 sides by USFS land thus inhibiting a lot of growth. The growth has followed Sly Park road out to Pleasant Valley where you see newer homes being built.

The cool thing is if you use a detector around here especially along the north side of today's Pony Express Trail you can pick up several areas where the actual Pony Express Trail once sat. Out Elk Horn Mill road down to the Sportsman Hall is all historic from the Gold Rush era and after. So there are plenty of good hunting sites around here, and last week I learned of a missing cache of silver coins from the 1970's that was lost at a house about a block from Pinewood school. ;D Who knows??? I told my buddy I'm considering it as a story for print in Lost Treasure
magazine but I need to spend sometime doing research on the place first. Yeah for treasure hunters the California Mother Lode counties is a paradise - I have found many artifacts and even some gold from the Gold Rush period. So theres another great reason for being here. Hopefully you'll find your way home one day and by all means let me know and we can get together.

Best regards,
Hangman 8)

racing33

Jun 26, 2007
Hangman,
I love those twisty turny roads going into Georgetown.Both 193 and 49. Some of the views are spectacular to say the least. Boy it sure does sound like the Pollock of old is long gone. I kinda had hoped it would stay small. I used to go to Sportsmans Hall to eat dinner with my Dad when I was a kid. That is where I met the biggest man I had ever seen. His name was/is Eddie Sanders.
I hope I have not annoyed you with my rambling. It is nice to talk to someone from the old stomping grounds though. I will surely look you up when I get out there, which may be sooner than later as my shop is closing down for good. I am an injection molder(plastics) by trade and the slump in the auto industry has put the hurts to a lot of people out here. Michigan leads the states in forclosures and also people are leaving Michigan a lot quicker that they are coming here.
if it were not for the astronomical cost of living out there I would come back for good in a heart beat.
Happy Hunting
Bruce jr

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Yea the cost to live anywhere in Cali does suck; I'm a native and I enjoy living here especially with all the opportunities it offers THers. But I confess I am considering other options for my future. I have no real plan but the thought is in the back of my head. I'm 48 in September and semi-retired and work 2 weeks every month then take 2 weeks off. I know I could live much better for cheaper elsewhere... but where? As bizarre as it may sound (only because they're at opposite ends of the spectrum) Nevada and Alaska hold some promise but the cost of living in Alaska is high, and in western Nevada it has skyrocketed as a result of the "California influence" or developers from here who bought up all the cheap land for development. Now much of western Nevada has "California prices." :-\

Maybe I should move to Jamaica or some place like like? Who knows?

Happy hunting bro,
Hangman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions