El Malpais

Pizaro

Aug 24, 2022
In my younger years, I knew of Gus and a friend of his named Paul. The treasure Gus he was keeping was in the lava field about 3 miles from his cabin. There is a small volcano there and was used by the Air Force during WW2 as a bombing target. Gus and Paul referred to the cache as the church because it had a bunch of gold from the Spanish. Gus and Paul found this treasure after learning of it from an old Indian that lived in San Raffel. Gus told Paul never to go back to the cache because he claimed it and he would kill him if he did. Paul snuck back in and loaded up according to the story. There was a treasure hunter named Apache Jim Wilson that also knew of this and I think he may have found it. It all sounded like BS but I did go in looking for it and found everything Paul described. I have spent years looking into this story and feel there is something to it. I could write a book on this. .. At any rate, if interested contact me and I'll share what I know and maybe, just maybe.
Hello, I am very much interested in speaking with you. Most of all I am interested in hearing what you knew about Paul. For example, did he have a plane? Was he from the Washington State area? Did you hear about the time Gus shot him in the leg?

Everyone thinks they have an idea as to where Gus got his 18, 100 lbs gold bars that he kept under his bed. Did Gus ever tell you that it was because his mule got his hoof caught in a hole in the ground that he eventually found the gold. And that it took him two years to locate it. Did he tell you where he hid the 10 gold bars on his property and that it was because of a ghost that appeared one night at the foot of his bed that scared him and Sugar foot so bad that he took the gold outside and buried them. Did Gus mention to you how that he took one of the 100 lb gold bars to the law enforcement office in Grants to try and sell it for $100 so he could buy some coffee and beans, and how that they held him for three days trying to get him to explain where he found the gold. And that latter he tried the same thing in Albuquerque where they actually tortured him but were never able to get him to speak. I am probably one of the only people who knows how Gus found the gold, where he buried it on his property, who the people were that stored the gold there in the cave, why there are 30 giant skeletons scattered around on the floor of the cave, why the room carved into the rock where the gold bars are stacked has columns on each side of the entrance, why Gus refered to the cave as the cathedral, why and how this cave is connected to Victorio Peak, why this gold is connected to one of the seven lost cities of Cibola.

I believe I have the answers you have been looking for. Please contact me if you would like to talk.

God bless

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I am very much interested in speaking with you. Most of all I am interested in hearing what you knew about Paul. For example, did he have a plane? Was he from the Washington State area? Did you hear about the time Gus shot him in the leg?

Everyone thinks they have an idea as to where Gus got his 18, 100 lbs gold bars that he kept under his bed. Did Gus ever tell you that it was because his mule got his hoof caught in a hole in the ground that he eventually found the gold. And that it took him two years to locate it. Did he tell you where he hid the 10 gold bars on his property and that it was because of a ghost that appeared one night at the foot of his bed that scared him and Sugar foot so bad that he took the gold outside and buried them. Did Gus mention to you how that he took one of the 100 lb gold bars to the law enforcement office in Grants to try and sell it for $100 so he could buy some coffee and beans, and how that they held him for three days trying to get him to explain where he found the gold. And that latter he tried the same thing in Albuquerque where they actually tortured him but were never able to get him to speak. I am probably one of the only people who knows how Gus found the gold, where he buried it on his property, who the people were that stored the gold there in the cave, why there are 30 giant skeletons scattered around on the floor of the cave, why the room carved into the rock where the gold bars are stacked has columns on each side of the entrance, why Gus refered to the cave as the cathedral, why and how this cave is connected to Victorio Peak, why this gold is connected to one of the seven lost cities of Cibola.

I believe I have the answers you have been looking for. Please contact me if you would like to talk.

God bless
I met the old dude face-to-face back about 40 years ago when my partner and I pulled onto his property across Highway 117 from Bruce King's ranch. We were drilling validation holes on new mining claims in the area and the guy who hired us told us that some of the claims were on Gus's ranch, but don't worry, he'd already talked to Gus about it and everything was OK - no problemo. We never got out of the truck because his snarling dogs were wanting to tear us apart, so we waited for Gus to come out. He finally did and I rolled down the window to speak with him.

We were from Silver City where Gus's reputation as a homicidal maniac was well documented back in the 1930s, and verified with numerous discussions with the old timers who dealt with him in those days. We were a bit on edge when he approached the truck, but our boss had assured us that all was well, so we were curious to see him, but not worried. He was a frightening human. Several photographs of him will verify that. He asked, "What do you want?"

"Hi, Mr. Raney. We're here to drill those mining claim holes out on your ranch."

"Turn around, get off my property and don't come back. If I ever see you here again, I'll kill you." We left and didn't come back.

I've heard all the Gus Raney stories and all the treasure stories surrounding him - even one about his brother finding "a mine with an iron door" way up Noonday Canyon in the Black Range. His verified murders and other alleged killings are well covered in the old newspapers. The unverified treasure stories are all over the map, but most allege that he was guarding some sort of "church treasure" in a secret location on his ranch, or some variation of that idea.

About 10 years ago I was talking to an ancient old guy in Silver City about Raney and his treasure. This guy had lived in the area all his life and knew everyone and everything. He just chuckled and told me that the gold was payroll coins that came from a train robbery near Lordsburg back in the 1930s when Gus was a lawman. The crime was never solved. When Gus was compelled to leave Grant County due to "legal problems" (he murdered a Mexican sheepherder following a dispute over a hat), he relocated to the lava flow and hid the loot there. What's the truth behind all these legends? Quien sabe?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NM born, long-standing Grants resident.
Gus Ramey had two sons drowned in pond in Malpais area, mother son lived in Gullop,NM
Daughter married Joe weather lived down behind ice caves off of forest rd 42 townships 18 / 19. Twelve miles as crow flies to west.
Sleet Rainey Owens land there also close to creek a ranch.
Gus had Kin folk in Albuquerque name Tucker’s five boys three girls and myself fostered by Lora and liked by all the boys
Met Gus several times as kid in Albuquerque.
Came to Grants after military working as security. Bought land in Malpais by Joe and Gus daughter. 1986 they turn it to El Malpais
Monument
Gus did have gold coins, Spanish coins, he never told me where he got them. I newbetter to ask. He had his rules,
To me he was always a pleasant man. He was also a hard man real hard.
Gus had been law man in early years. Ft win gate was big towns. Acoma reservation on east Zuni on west. Strip of land in between
Was known as the strip. Out law country. More people lived in fence lake then . Than now. Magdalena was biggest town west of Mississippi River. Believe it or not
Gus knew Billy the kid did not die in July 14 ,1881, Gus die at 104 years old. Gus was born in 1876 and four years old.
Billy was also not buried in fort sumner. Gus knew billy the kid as John Miller lived at piscado,nm that is over by Ramha,no
He bought a ranch with his part of reward money from pat garret
Finely there is a gold mine in Malpais ,a old diggings found by Bruce, Clark in1984 he had partner to mine while he owned local gas station. The mine is not far from my place
ManMule
Sorry about the late response, but I would love to hear more about the guy who owned the gas station. And your details about Gus are appreciated.

Pizaro

Aug 24, 2022
If someone can put me in touch with the current owner of the Gus Raney ranch I will show them where Gus himself buried his 10 gold bars weighing 100 pounds each. My number is 530-560-8317, [email protected]

Pizaro

Aug 24, 2022
In my younger years, I knew of Gus and a friend of his named Paul. The treasure Gus he was keeping was in the lava field about 3 miles from his cabin. There is a small volcano there and was used by the Air Force during WW2 as a bombing target. Gus and Paul referred to the cache as the church because it had a bunch of gold from the Spanish. Gus and Paul found this treasure after learning of it from an old Indian that lived in San Raffel. Gus told Paul never to go back to the cache because he claimed it and he would kill him if he did. Paul snuck back in and loaded up according to the story. There was a treasure hunter named Apache Jim Wilson that also knew of this and I think he may have found it. It all sounded like BS but I did go in looking for it and found everything Paul described. I have spent years looking into this story and feel there is something to it. I could write a book on this. .. At any rate, if interested contact me and I'll share what I know and maybe, just maybe.
Please contact me about Gus's treasure. I know a lot about this story that I will share with you.

[email protected]
530-560-8317

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread