El Salvador shipwreck in NC

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Rusty's mate. According to a TV interview in Salt Lake City in April of 2006, the CEO of that company stated that he found a $500 million dollar wreck named the El Salvador and that it was in Deep Water and he was going to bring it up in one piece. He also issued a press release to that effect.

I can tell you that the piece of wood that they found was in about 20 feet of water.( I don't call that deep). Everyone on this board that dives will tell you that you are not going to bring up a 250 year old wooden ship from NC intact. I can also tell you that as far as I know the companies you mention have never found any treasure at that site to date.

Rusty Sailor

Feb 26, 2007
That's my matey. I tried to tell her that the waters there have very strong currents and there was no way it would be intact. In fact, I dove in that inlet and let me tell you, there is no way that team with their equipment could dive for very long. You can't see a darn thing to begin with. And do you know how many ships sank there? It is impossible to tell where one piece of wood might have come from. So, she got on here hoping someone could tell her that more than that was found.
I told her I had not heard anything more than what was on aqua gems web site and that has not been updated.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Oak Island and Uwharrie, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Tesoro PIranha, Minelab MusketeerX, Garrett 350
Rusty Sailor said:
Charles, you crack me up. Tell that to me Matey. LMAO

well, heck we got to find some jocularity in here some where or we'll all go nuts.
olddiver.gif

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow! You revived an eight year old thread. The project is pretty much dead. Anyone with any sense will move on to easier targets.

If you want basic info, try googling 1750 fleet El Salvador Topsail NC...

DownEastGirl

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am new to this forum. Just curious if anyone has heard anything about El Salvador recently. I have found many pieces of a very old shipwreck recently including actual pieces of the ship, broken olive jar shards, broken pieces of very thick green glass bottles and several pieces of concretion with iron present. In fact one piece of concretion has a square head nail that can be seen with the naked eye. I would love to know if there is anyone in the Beaufort, North Carolina area that is interested in seeing these pieces or possibly helping me date them somehow. Regards, DownEastGirl

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Down East Girl. I still live in NC, and I am very familiar with the El Salvador. I have a friend who lives in Beaufort who is, as well. We can help you however you're comfortable. We can look at the pieces, help you date them, talk about the El Salvador, etc. Of course, we believe the project is tied up in legal matters and won't be resolved any time soon. Feel free to send me a private message if you wish. 8-)

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Hello Down East Girl. I still live in NC, and I am very familiar with the El Salvador. I have a friend who lives in Beaufort who is, as well. We can help you however you're comfortable. We can look at the pieces, help you date them, talk about the El Salvador, etc. Of course, we believe the project is tied up in legal matters and won't be resolved any time soon. Feel free to send me a private message if you wish. 8-)
DownEastGirl, Darren is one of the most Honest treasure hunters that I know. He's also very knowledgeable about treasure salvage.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The El Salvador is buried over 30 feet down in the sand.We blew a 100 foot wide 30 foot deep hole on the shoals to get down to the top of the deck to retrieve wood to identify that its wood from a 1750 era snow sloop.I doupt anything you found is from that wreck

Mar 20, 2023
The El Salvador is buried over 30 feet down in the sand.We blew a 100 foot wide 30 foot deep hole on the shoals to get down to the top of the deck to retrieve wood to identify that its wood from a 1750 era snow sloop.I doupt anything you found is from that wreck
Would you be willing to tell a newbie like myself where exactly in the inlet you did this, maybe over a DM? Me and my friend are doing our own looking into of the El Salvador and he lives in Beaufort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread