Elderly Folks in the Northeast Could Use a Hand

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, first off I understand how hard it is to stay on top of our own home maintenance. This is the worst snow I've seen in a very long time. I've had 4' drifts on my roof and have been removing snow constantly. Now think about being in your 80s and trying to do it. I have several elderly neighbors and most of the men are retired navy guys. Most are in their 70s and 80s. And most are too damn stubborn and prideful to ever ask for help or for that matter accept it if you ask. So I just don't ask. I just go over and do what I can. Trust me they are VERY thankful for the help. Things are really bad here in the northeast. I am also a builder and roofs are going to start caving in if the snow isn't removed. I just waited for an elderly couple to leave and I shoveled their roof off. I don't do it because I want thank you's or money. These people will never know unless somebody else tells them. I do it because I'm still young enough to do it and because it makes me feel REALLY good. Don't look at it as an opportunity to help somebody else. Look at it as an opportunity for yourself. Trust me all of these good deeds will come back to you eventually. So if you're able to help someone please do. And thank you for doing it. It will make everybody feel good and may literally save somebody having a serious accident or a heart attack. And I know time is in short supply for most of us. If you've got 15 minutes shovel for 15 minutes.
I hope everybody is doing well and I really hope it stops snowing soon. All the best, Abe

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard you burn a 100 calorie every 20 minutes off shoveling when normally it takes an hour on a peddle bike....
here is what i say when i help out, and try to get away with out them paying me. they have to think about it for why"ll then they smile and insist on paying me. the one that don't insist, i smile and walk a way...here it is. I say " let just call it community service with out the incarceration"...i love it and try to use it to my advantage.and if there is an offering over time some will go in too the collection basket...
to help out on the other end it's your salvation that will make eternity fly by.....
keep up the good... work all ways find the edge and no were it is when your up there..

liftloop

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
helping others is something that comes from the heart, no reward needed and when confronted with how can I repay you, I always answer "with a smile, a hug or a handshake." I am old enough to remember someone's barn burning down and the whole community just showed up and built a new one in like a day or two, those who couldn't build, brought food and drink to feed everyone. it was simply what people did, helped those in need. today everything is so impersonal, most of us don't even know who our neighbors even are. those elderly people paved the way for a lot of us and we we should always be thankful for them and a little help here and there...well, should be done without question.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damnit Man!
Ahab8, you are a "stand up" person. Well said...
Peace [emoji111]

Trust me friend it hasn't always been this way. For a lot of years I was a selfish
a$$hole. Now I try to be the exact opposite as I was. Took me a long time to figure it out. But it's never too late to start being a caring and helpful person

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree.
I don't think I came to my "senses" til my 40th year of life. Wishing I could have been a better younger man ain't the point. I continually hope to right my wrongs. Giving is better than receiving.
Peace ✌

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe,

Good gesture on your part and karma has a way of repaying us for our small good deeds.

Regards + HH

Bill

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Ahab8,

You are right! It take very little to help someone in need, even if they do not ask.

After the last snow storm, I visited a friend living in a mobile home. As I drove down the street, I stopped on two occasions to help some senior citizens shovel/chop the ice at the bottom of the driveway. When I asked do you need any help? They said, "I'm all set; thank you"! I got out of my vehicle, retrieve my ice picking tool and just began to help. After completing the two jobs, both asked me if I would take some money; I said "no thank you" it was my pleasure to help. I received all I needed by good conversation and the reward of helping someone in need.

Regards,

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing guys. In a world full of drama and bad news it's refreshing to see that there's still people that believe in helping others. Sometimes it seems like everybody is in such a hurry that they don't even notice what's going on around them. Too busy on their phones or distracted with something insignificant to notice a person in need. Lots of us on here are very fortunate to have our health and to have the money to buy fancy metal detectors and drive nice vehicles. When you start to look around it's obvious that there are tons of people that need help. My mom volunteers at the midcoast hunger prevention program here in Maine. Lots of them had similar lives to ours until one little thing went wrong. It could happen to any of us and thank god there's people out there to help. Great job guys. I hope to hear from others

JRedHorse

Feb 1, 2015
from NH relocating to FL summer 2015
Detector(s) used
I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector but will be upgrading when I hit FL.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have lived in the North East for 20 Winters now and I am at the age where the snow is too much for me, so I know about aging in the NE, I am selling my home in NH , a State that I love and must get these aging bones down into the Sun, I'll be on my roof tomorrow getting rid of 3 feet of snow so that this week ends storms can dump another 3 feet, oh well, such is life in the North Country.
I moved here from the AZ Desert on Aug 2, 1995 and I plan on pulling out for good on Aug 2, 2015, I've done my 20 and now I am heading for a life as a treasure hunter in FL., I gave it my best shot up here, made a ton of life long friends and a part of my heart will be left here when I leave.

We have always helped each other out during North East Winters but now I see it as a younger mans place.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lived in the North East for 20 Winters now and I am at the age where the snow is too much for me, so I know about aging in the NE, I am selling my home in NH , a State that I love and must get these aging bones down into the Sun, I'll be on my roof tomorrow getting rid of 3 feet of snow so that this week ends storms can dump another 3 feet, oh well, such is life in the North Country.
I moved here from the AZ Desert on Aug 2, 1995 and I plan on pulling out for good on Aug 2, 2015, I've done my 20 and now I am heading for a life as a treasure hunter in FL., I gave it my best shot up here, made a ton of life long friends and a part of my heart will be left here when I leave.

We have always helped each other out during North East Winters but now I see it as a younger mans place.

I'm only 38 and there's times that I wonder what the hell I'm doing in this freezing cold state. But some sunny days that glistening snow is so beautiful that it seems worth it. I also love spring, summer and fall in Maine. And what really gets me is all of the 1600 and 1700s sites within 20 minutes of my house. I can't leave until I hit em all lol. J Red I hope you enjoy the warmer climate

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JRedHorse,

As the years go by I find the winters seem to get a bit tougher to put up with....enjoy your well deserved retirement in Florida.

Regards + HH

Bill

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
White's Surf Master II with the dive rod
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JRedHorse,

Sorry to see you go, I relocated to NH from CA in 1988 and live in the western NH snow belt...(lake Sunapee area) and have 4 years to go before I am a retired FF then it is just more time to dive and detect :-)

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treat others as you wish to be treated. Always help one another. It's just the right thing to do.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well written Abe there's always something good happens when one goes above and beyond their own daily duties.
I often go down and plough out the old folks driveway and parking spot for the home care worker to park. They have a son that lives across the street and I haven't seen a shovel ever being worked by him in helping out his parents.
The old fellow said to me a few weeks back, "Oh there's no need for you to do this as we have the Sunshine Group come in to do it for us. Well he parks in the community parking lot now as his driveway is filled with snow. So I will go down again to lend the silent hand even though they rely on a service to do it.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well written Abe there's always something good happens when one goes above and beyond their own daily duties.
I often go down and plough out the old folks driveway and parking spot for the home care worker to park. They have a son that lives across the street and I haven't seen a shovel ever being worked by him in helping out his parents.
The old fellow said to me a few weeks back, "Oh there's no need for you to do this as we have the Sunshine Group come in to do it for us. Well he parks in the community parking lot now as his driveway is filled with snow. So I will go down again to lend the silent hand even though they rely on a service to do it.

Very cool Pep. I have shared my feelings with you on the state of this world as a whole. It always warms my heart knowing that there's folks like you who still care enough to help somebody out. There's a guy on my street who was a cryptologist in a navy sub. Awesome guy that served our country for years. He needed his house painted so I just told him to get the paint and I went to town in my spare time. He always tried to pay me and I always refused. So at Christmas that year he comes to my house with plane tickets to Aruba for Kim and I. He had a few weeks at a time share there. I was kind of bummed that he did that but he told me that his own kids would never have done that and if they did they would have expected to get paid handsomely for it. So Kim and I got a week in Aruba and it was awesome. His kids were pissed and he told them to go to hell. As much as I wished he hadn't bought the tickets I could tell it really made him happy to give us a vaca that we just couldn't afford at that point in our lives. Everybody ended up happy....and we even got tans out if the deal 8-)

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing guys. In a world full of drama and bad news it's refreshing to see that there's still people that believe in helping others. Sometimes it seems like everybody is in such a hurry that they don't even notice what's going on around them. Too busy on their phones or distracted with something insignificant to notice a person in need. Lots of us on here are very fortunate to have our health and to have the money to buy fancy metal detectors and drive nice vehicles. When you start to look around it's obvious that there are tons of people that need help. My mom volunteers at the midcoast hunger prevention program here in Maine. Lots of them had similar lives to ours until one little thing went wrong. It could happen to any of us and thank god there's people out there to help. Great job guys. I hope to hear from others

Thank You, Abe for posting this and you are so right-on! God Bless

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread