OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do those crystal ones hide in the dirt or do they stand out pretty well?
Right after a rain they sparkle covered with dirt you need to clean a little to see for sure. Most of the time I can tell by holding up to the sun even caked with dirt. On those little bird points, you know you have something nice right off

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see it. Those very broad points Gunther? (The one on the right) is there any speculation what kind of game they were used for? they seem like they’d be right at home with Florida/Alabama points. makes me wonder if there’s some game that warm costal states have where broad points are better.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see it. Those very broad points Gunther? (The one on the right) is there any speculation what kind of game they were used for? they seem like they’d be right at home with Florida/Alabama points. makes me wonder if there’s some game that warm costal states have where broad points are better.
All three arrow points are Gunther related and were used for hunting in general big game and small game.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had some good rainstorms, so a quick hunt was in order yesterday I found three small arrow points obsidian / crystal / chert. And big fat Willits Side notched made of chert 2000 BC to 500 AD I don't find this type very often. All surface finds private property N. California
I washed the Dart point and one of the arrow points and was surprised. The Dart point is chert, and the arrow point is fine grained basalt normally it's the other way around.

Attachments

• PC131584.JPG
    PC131584.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • PC131586.JPG
    PC131586.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the cool points! Thanks for posting.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, congrats!
I found one of those dart points identical to yours awhile back and the curator at the state museum told me it was a Chumash point. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, congrats!
I found one of those dart points identical to yours awhile back and the curator at the state museum told me it was a Chumash point. 🤷‍♂️
I'd like to see it, where was it found?

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I washed the Dart point and one of the arrow points and was surprised. The Dart point is chert, and the arrow point is fine grained basalt normally it's the other way around.
Do you find much chert in your area? My spots in Nevada County rarely yield chert. Mostly basalt and slate. Very occasionally obsidian. The chert I do find is very different than the coastal chert in Santa Cruz. The chert I find in the Sierras is blue/gray with beige banding. Any idea where that type is from?

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We find a lot of different cherts it was traded all over California. The case on the left is some of the surface finds from the elder camp. The case with the green backing are all personal finds from Apple Hill El Dorado County

Attachments

• IMG_5106.JPG
    IMG_5106.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 15
  • PC120056.JPG
    PC120056.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 18

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We find a lot of different cherts it was traded all over California. The case on the left is some of the surface finds from the elder camp. The case with the green backing are all personal finds from Apple Hill El Dorado County
Amazing collection!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread