WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been playing with electrolysis a little lately, in the safety of the man cave away from the prying eyes of the wife. I found that a gallon or so of water and about three tablespoons of baking soda seem to be the "magic recipe" in a plastic bucket.

I've been using a 12 volt battery charger and setting it on the 2 amp setting but I "super-bake" the artifact for an hour or so at 10 amps when I start. I've been using stainless steel bolts as the positive anode and of course the artifact is the negative. I have also used a stainless steel spoon as the sacrificial positive anode. I have read the danger of using stainless steel but it has worked fine so far for me. I simply use copper wire hooked up to the leads of the charger and I change them out every so often. I have also found that wrapping the artifact in the wire works a lot better than an alligator clip. I've been using marine spar varnish to coat the clean artifacts and that also seems to work pretty good.

IMG_5428.JPG
Page121.jpg
These pliers are baking right now.
IMG_5418.JPG

OP
OP
WawaDuane

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nippers are still baking....but getting there.
IMG_5433.JPG

Billium

Greenie
Nov 5, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard that using stainless steel is a BIG NO NO. It will give of a very toxic chemical. Someone said it is the same chemical that was featured in the Movie Erin Mocovich (sp?). Just my two cents worth..

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I have heard/read in-ref to, True Stainless Steel

Is that the toxin is put off when the water is heated or heat is somehow created.
OP-has had nice results , my set up is a little more complicated [ still the same results] but I have been using SS as my sac, for almost two years BUT I set it up in the garage with a fan blowing most of the time & try to always use gloves when touching freshly cooked items & when changing out the mixture. NEVER let the water evaporate out of the bucket then BREATHE in the dust cause IMO its there where the concentrated toxins will be and when air borne is an easy way to ingest then. Always choose what method is best for you. Davers..:thumbsup:

Billium

Greenie
Nov 5, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Davers
I don't know the details about how the chemicals are released. IMO better safe than sorry.

arrington

Jan 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In an old (pre 1900) foundry text were described novel methods of metal heat treating and conditioning. Among them were dipping the forged items in molten lead and cyanide. Yep, cyanide. Cyanide was used in antique metal bluing processes.
I learned as a hobbyist knife maker that if it makes dust, don't breath it.
Be very careful of any residue or gasses that may be produced from electrolysis. One breath of the wrong stuff could cause you to miss a lot of future holidays with your family.

Oh, thanks for letting me join the forums. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread