Electroscope - anybody ever use one of these?

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Model 20 Electroscope - "locating unknown targets such as gold, silver, coins and various relics. Although used by many professionals, it is also an excellent choice for the novice treasure hunter. Featured with a one mode switch for All Metals/Gold and Silver, the Model 20 has a maximum range of one mile, and a depth of six feet."

Well I'll admit that was not my experience after purchasing one of these things. I was searching for $50,000 in gold coins in saddle bags from a known tale from Revolutionary War period. It was smack dab in the middle of where I lived for 20 years. Many colonial houses and farms dating back to 1700's. I am sad to say that I located no gold and no silver. I had someone seed the property with gold coin and silver coins to test the equipment. The results of many tri-locations were dry holes. I tried out in the middle of nowhere in large fields where there would be no interference from anything. Same results. So I concluded that this was not going to work for me.

I've kept this for many years since those days. Now I ponder - should I try to sell it to someone, telling them that I found nothing with it or
just take a sledge hammer to it, and call it a expensive lesson learned? I see these LONG RANGE LOCATORS are still being sold for $695 or more. I'm sure they have all the answers for why people don't find anything using them. Good snake oil salesmen usually do too.

Without starting a free for all - what do you think about these devices if you purchased one or knew someone who did? Did you or they find Eldorado, or The Dutchman's Lost Mine, or anything gold or silver in any amount using this LRL? Would you sell or sledge hammer?

Attachments

• Electroscope1.jpg
    Electroscope1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Electroscope2.jpg
    Electroscope2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 45
Feb 27, 2018
volusia county
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Beach Hunter ID, Surf PI, 6000 SI Pro. tdi beach hunter, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I seen them, some ppl sware by them and some ppl swear at them. I never used one, it seems much more would be found if these truly work as advertised. I would like to try one just to see what happens.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Model 20 Electroscope - "locating unknown targets such as gold, silver, coins and various relics. Although used by many professionals, it is also an excellent choice for the novice treasure hunter. Featured with a one mode switch for All Metals/Gold and Silver, the Model 20 has a maximum range of one mile, and a depth of six feet."

Well I'll admit that was not my experience after purchasing one of these things. I was searching for $50,000 in gold coins in saddle bags from a known tale from Revolutionary War period. It was smack dab in the middle of where I lived for 20 years. Many colonial houses and farms dating back to 1700's. I am sad to say that I located no gold and no silver. I had someone seed the property with gold coin and silver coins to test the equipment. The results of many tri-locations were dry holes. I tried out in the middle of nowhere in large fields where there would be no interference from anything. Same results. So I concluded that this was not going to work for me.

I've kept this for many years since those days. Now I ponder - should I try to sell it to someone, telling them that I found nothing with it or
just take a sledge hammer to it, and call it a expensive lesson learned? I see these LONG RANGE LOCATORS are still being sold for $695 or more. I'm sure they have all the answers for why people don't find anything using them. Good snake oil salesmen usually do too.

Without starting a free for all - what do you think about these devices if you purchased one or knew someone who did? Did you or they find Eldorado, or The Dutchman's Lost Mine, or anything gold or silver in any amount using this LRL? Would you sell or sledge hammer?
I THINK there FAKE !!!!

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought on 30 or 40 years ago never could get it to work, slightest wind moved it. Took it apart to find it only had a few resistors, pots, and wires. Sold it on ebay in the early 2000's

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought on 30 or 40 years ago never could get it to work, slightest wind moved it. Took it apart to find it only had a few resistors, pots, and wires. Sold it on ebay in the early 2000's
In my OPINION you would of had better luck with PLASTIC COAT HANGERS !!! LOL

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they truly worked, the gang on Oak Island would have found the treasure by now. Also, if they truly worked, when you turned it on, it would pick up Gold no matter what direction you pointed it because almost every household in America has Gold jewelry.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep forgot that one about slightest wind. L

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I liked the part about seeding the area with gold and silver coins. Could I get that someone to seed my lawn?
I'm afraid they are deceased now but funny.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just like fortune tellers, if someone actually developed one and they actually worked why would they sell them instead of just using them to recover all the treasures.

You know the old saying about a fool and his money. (Not referring to you)

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like fortune tellers, if someone actually developed one and they actually worked why would they sell them instead of just using them to recover all the treasures.

You know the old saying about a fool and his money. (Not referring to you)
yeah pretty much true. They sold a hell of a lot of them too! Amazing any gold or silver left in the ground since the 1986 release of this thing. Too bad they never hit Hoax Island with one! :)

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is golden - I think I've seen similar in past. This person did a great reverse engineer of so called TH'ing tool.

Glad you liked it, I'm the guy who wrote that report. Here's a bunch more that I wrote:

https://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=lrl&file=reports.dat

The Model 20 has found treasure for Thomas Afilani, the guy who makes and sells them. I suspect he's made a few million selling LRLs. The folks who buy them don't seem to find anything.
If you decide on the hammer route consider sending it to me. I'll dissect it and append the findings to my report. I've seen other Electroscopes dissected and the garbage that's put inside seems to change over the years.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you liked it, I'm the guy who wrote that report. Here's a bunch more that I wrote:

https://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=lrl&file=reports.dat

The Model 20 has found treasure for Thomas Afilani, the guy who makes and sells them. I suspect he's made a few million selling LRLs. The folks who buy them don't seem to find anything.
If you decide on the hammer route consider sending it to me. I'll dissect it and append the findings to my report. I've seen other Electroscopes dissected and the garbage that's put inside seems to change over the years.
That report is on the exact same version that I purchased. I was an early adopter of the garbage machine. I had 3 years of electronics in H.S., so I recognize what a joke it is on the inside. I think they told me the plug-in was seeded with gold to be on same frequency wavelength or some such - to be able to find gold better. I didn't see any gold in your reverse engineer of same. Big surprise. I think that I might get great satisfaction taking a sledge hammer to this thing but if I don't will consider sending to you. :)

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be happy just to own that device as it reminds me of the P.K.E. meter Dr. Egon uses in the original Ghost Busters.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pretty much how I remember the inside, I think I also had the gizmo that plugged into the bottom, also worthless

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give it the sledge hammer treatment, then send it back to Afilani and tell him it still works just as good as brand new.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread