• e-120 redneck version.jpg
    e-120 redneck version.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 132

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a redneck version:

For those of us unfamiliar with that type of locator, could you tell
us how it operates?

As you increase rejection does the freq. increase at the same time?
What type of dielectric sits between the copper ends of the probe
handle?

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can view some info here:

This thread is not a course on LRL theory. But I could say the frequency-driven locators such as this one work something like a conventional metal detector but not the same. Energy hits the target and if all is right it resonates with the target and energizes it. As I like to say the field surrounding the target acts like a loudspeaker. So it becomes like a holding a microphone up to the speaker and this creates a cresendo (Is that the correct term?) that the human body (via the L-rod) senses through the subconscious. Sorry, don't have the link but search for Colin Keay Geophysical Electrophony and it explains how short thin wires, eyeglasses, even pine needles can act as an antenna for vlf signals.

Anyway, back to this locator. I plan to install a headphone jack so I can use the ground spike or plug in an L-rod. I'm not a big fan of the hand-held locators but this one was built on the cheap and the rod is light weight. I don't have any time on this, just got it going yesterday indoors, so I can't say how well it works, but it does seem to work. I'll post more later after I get outdoors with it. At this point I would call it another one of my Wile E. Coyote ideas. LOL

One more disclaimer, most people just never get the L-rods figured out. They fixate too much on the rod and it just freezes the process.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to hook up for two L-rods and see what happens.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hooked up two L-rods, negative in my left hand, positive in my right. What I noticed is when the target was on my left, it seemed not as sensitive. So I started thinking and came to the conclusion the negative rod was somewhat blocking the postive side. Overall, not that excited about two rods for whatever reason, I don't know because I thought two rods should give a stronger response. Maybe I am just too rusty as I haven't done much of any rod work in the past five years, and probably should have given it a better chance/more time. Maybe wait until nicer weather. Back to my motto "Nothing is as easy as it first appears." And like i said, I am not a big fan of the hand-held locators.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hooked up two L-rods, negative in my left hand, positive in my right. What I noticed is when the target was on my left, it seemed not as sensitive. So I started thinking and came to the conclusion the negative rod was somewhat blocking the postive side. Overall, not that excited about two rods for whatever reason, I don't know because I thought two rods should give a stronger response. Maybe I am just too rusty as I haven't done much of any rod work in the past five years, and probably should have given it a better chance/more time. Maybe wait until nicer weather. Back to my motto "Nothing is as easy as it first appears." And like i said, I am not a big fan of the hand-held locators.
WARNING: it is dangerous risk of electrical shock to hook up most any type of frequency generator to a bare-handle L-rod. Just don’t do it. I don’t know about the Eliminator but be on the safe side and don’t risk injury or worse.

Dell Winders was selling a weight check that was powered by a 555 timer and one customer got a severe electrical shock. Don’t think you are immune to it because it hasn’t happened to you yet. One micro hole in you skin can let the electricity into your body and it doesn’t take much current to lock your muscles so you can’t let go of the rod. Every time you get a static electricity spark it puts a micro hole in your skin.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WARNING: it is dangerous risk of electrical shock to hook up most any type of frequency generator to a bare-handle L-rod. Just don’t do it. I don’t know about the Eliminator but be on the safe side and don’t risk injury or worse.

Dell Winders was selling a weight check that was powered by a 555 timer and one customer got a severe electrical shock. Don’t think you are immune to it because it hasn’t happened to you yet. One micro hole in you skin can let the electricity into your body and it doesn’t take much current to lock your muscles so you can’t let go of the rod. Every time you get a static electricity spark it puts a micro hole in your skin.
Since I started this thread I haven’t done anything with this project. Just picked it up today and did some practice in my yard (with just one L_rod connected). It works but I am totally rusty doing a sweep. Easier for me to use a variation of the box-in method. The sweep just hard to get an accurate line to the target, but it does work enough and then go to the box-in.

As far as using the weight cancelling, I was using the sweep method to see if it cancels. Wasn’t thinking too clearly and I guess the box-in method should work better with the cancelling. I’ll try later.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I started this thread I haven’t done anything with this project. Just picked it up today and did some practice in my yard (with just one L_rod connected). It works but I am totally rusty doing a sweep. Easier for me to use a variation of the box-in method. The sweep just hard to get an accurate line to the target, but it does work enough and then go to the box-in.

As far as using the weight cancelling, I was using the sweep method to see if it cancels. Wasn’t thinking too clearly and I guess the box-in method should work better with the cancelling. I’ll try later.
The jury is still out on how well this works.Right now my feelings are my modified box-in method is not as good when doing the cancelling but my practice time has been very limited. When I do the box-in I point the rod out to my side instead of straight ahead. Don’t know if that makes any difference but it does seem like the sweep is better and easier to see what Is happening.

Just a note on the sweep method, go VERY SLOW. Makes a big difference. This holds true for the box-in, too

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jury is still out on how well this works.Right now my feelings are my modified box-in method is not as good when doing the cancelling but my practice time has been very limited. When I do the box-in I point the rod out to my side instead of straight ahead. Don’t know if that makes any difference but it does seem like the sweep is better and easier to see what Is happening.

Just a note on the sweep method, go VERY SLOW. Makes a big difference. This holds true for the box-in, too
Not all that excited with this setup or with any handheld frequency locator. It just works better to put the probe in the ground and wait a few minutes for the line to the target to develop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread