🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
He'll get it done

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
I think even Elon said there was only a 10% chance of success. At least I seem to recall that.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there was at Least 1 Maybe More Fails Getting it Up

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not likely, there is a major fundamental flaw with the concept.

He will get it done, they been landing the first stages after launch for over a year from 50 miles high, both on land and barges off shore.

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
He will get it done, they been landing the first stages after launch for over a year from 50 miles high, both on land and barges off shore.
It is a high risk concept, designing a system which violates the safe approach of stability engineering for dynamic systems. It only takes the component which forces stability to fail and the whole thing destroys itself and the cargo.
I think Musk does this for attention just like his red tesla in space fiasco.
there is a reason why engineers never attempted to soft land first stage rockets, just like there is a reason that reentry vehicles were designed to be inherently stable upon reentry without the need for positioning thrusters.
Space X engineers are putting too much faith in gadgets and very little design work into what makes a space vehilce as safe as it can be.
there is not doubt in my mind that this venture will end badly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as I see it, in order to actually pull it off safely one of 3 things must happen .
the ship must be very light at landing, empty of fuel when landing,
or a non volatile fuel that doesn't ignite when used .

I wonder if first stages are Normally Very Light, Compared to the SpaceX prototype.

even if they land one safely, you know the odds, at some point gonna be a big ooops :sadsmiley:

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
as I see it, in order to actually pull it off safely one of 3 things must happen .

I wonder if first stages are Normally Very Light, Compared to the SpaceX prototype.

even if they land one safely, you know the odds, at some point gonna be a big ooops :sadsmiley:
From what I have gathered working in the industry, the first stage is the most rugged as it needs to handle the highest load factor, this stress twist the airframe significantly as was demonstrated in the Challanger inquest.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see in spite of the explosion, they are calling it a success :laughing7:

I wouldn't want to be that Successful :coffee2:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
The video Ive watched of those landing on a barge straight up just looks so fake when it works. Ive wondered why the boosters dont just pop a wing out and landing gear so to glide home to a landing strip.
Ill never understand why we retired the shuttle. So what its outdated? So is a horse drawn plough and a john deere GP. and you can still use in your farm.?.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The video Ive watched of those landing on a barge straight up just looks so fake when it works. Ive wondered why the boosters dont just pop a wing out and landing gear so to glide home to a landing strip.
Ill never understand why we retired the shuttle. So what its outdated? So is a horse drawn plough and a john deere GP. and you can still use in your farm.?.
I loved the space shuttle, but.......it had some serious design flaws. It was a program which was rushed to operational status due to perceived public opinion. When the AirForce allocated its entire research budget to the program early on, that essentially signed the shuttles death warrant as they became the controlling factor in any further improvements or development, as the X37B would indicate.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You learn from failures. There were multiple rocket failures before we put men on the moon, multiple failures landing rovers on Mars, multiple spacex failures landing 1st stage before success.

There are 2 more launches this week.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

They have had a few ooops in the space industry already,costing human lives.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep & Look what they Do.
Try to decide if they want to Go on or Scrap the Whole Program.

My guess First Fatality & Musk may be Blamed personally & Forced to stop Completely.
look how long the shuttles lasted, then all of a sudden, 2 fatalities, and they ended it

ya gotta break a few eggs

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep & Look what they Do.
Try to decide if they want to Go on or Scrap the Whole Program.

My guess First Fatality & Musk may be Blamed personally & Forced to stop Completely.
look how long the shuttles lasted, then all of a sudden, 2 fatalities, and they ended it

ya gotta break a few eggs

1st stage on landing weighs 50-57 tons accordingly to SpaceX.

Shuttle was already at end of life when Columbia came apart on return.

Each shuttle was only suppose to last 10 years, when the Columbia came apart on re-entry it was 22 years old. Shuttle program was shut down due to cost, it was suppose to be cheaper because of reuse but that never happened.

The Space Shuttle program was expensive to operate, and maintaining the twenty-plus year old Orbiters was getting more costly. The Space Shuttle was essential for completing the ISS, but would not be helpful for the new program (called Constellation) that would take us out of low Earth orbit.

Compared to an average space shuttle mission that cost $1.6 billion, NASA is paying only $55 million per seat for SpaceX's upcoming ISS flights.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread