Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m trying to come up with some content, been a slow year haven’t had over an inch of rain since June, so not much being exposed as far as surface hunting, I’ve got my one site that is good when it’s dry though, came up with a couple things. I was wondering about the scraper what good a tiny diamond shaped scraper would be then it occurred to me it’s probably been exhausted and likely looked like the white one recovered from the same site… makes me wonder if they were hafted… anyway I like the before and after comparisons thought I’d share… the other was another broken jug hill (Madison,Fresno) very common to the site
26003FE6-ABE2-4A7F-9F21-DA1DC2B04900.jpeg
5A570612-7F2F-470C-8E7D-EC4DBAB5EEEB.jpeg
221A1653-E856-4DCF-9217-93AAEAC4802F.jpeg
D2EE29CB-C6C6-4B4B-B9B6-128E7A274E68.jpeg
4B437EFC-C054-4B17-A904-49F263FF9E8E.jpeg

Upvote 13
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I kind of buried a question in there, do you think that a scrapers like this were hafted?

The shape seems to be counterproductive to hafting but I’m wondering if the small one was sharpened until they hit the handle then they just pitched it.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of these are quite nice i think. But i know nothing about old artifacts. I am sure there are people on here that will answer your questions.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I kind of buried a question in there, do you think that a scrapers like this were hafted?

The shape seems to be counterproductive to hafting but I’m wondering if the small one was sharpened until they hit the handle then they just pitched it.
As someone who works with their hands, I would say they almost certainly mounted some scrapers for larger things like scraping bigger animal skins or tree bark/wood. Otherwise your hands and fingers would tire out quite quickly just gripping the things. If they mounted other tools like arrows and adze, you can for sure imagine them putting two and two together to mount a scraper to make work easier. Remember these people were more intelligent than some history would like us to believe.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be good to see…
tapering into a point seems like about the worst design to fix to a handle but like said above if done reliably it would definitely make for a more effective tool. You don’t really see much description of various scraper design and the way they were used especially compared to point analysis.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread