Endurance: Make of this what you will...

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I had to shake my head when I read this, but here you go. Mensun Bound, the archeologist who headed the expedition that found Endurance is saying that "global heating" is threatening the wreck. He also adds that there is a threat from underwater robotic technology being used to pillage the wreck. To me it sounds like a cry for more funding on a massive scale. I have a hard time believing that a wreck that deep is going to be threatened by any alleged heating, but, oh well. He also mentions the possibility that someone with that technology might find "snatching" the bell. Personally, I think the bell is the one item that should be definitely recovered, just because of what it represents. I also find it improbable that any underwater submersible can get that close without a mother ship on the surface that won't stick out like a sore thumb lurking in the area. But to get the big bucks these days, you have to virtue signal. And climate change ranks up there at the pinnacle of virtue signalling. Enjoy:

Endurance shipwreck threatened by global heating, says marine archaeologist

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They should go back with 1 or more ROVs to completely carefully photograph the vessel in as high resolution as technologically possible to enable high quality 3D photogrammetry to be done. When they get that rendered into a model, post it online as a virtual museum that people can explore to their heart's content. I'm a treasure hunter, but it seems to me that once you start taking souvenirs to show the world, it is hard to say to the next guy "No...you can't do that. My souvenir was the only one that anyone can take".

Maybe I was up too late and I'm cranky...

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I'm a treasure hunter, but it seems to me that once you start taking souvenirs to show the world, it is hard to say to the next guy "No...you can't do that. My souvenir was the only one that anyone can take".

I certainly understand that perspective. But I've always been suspicious of the "look, but don't touch" approach to research. There is only so much you can learn that way, and depending on the wreck there may not be any feasible way to look at what is inside. There is also the issue of ownership. Someone has to have a legal claim to ownership of Endurance. That person, persons or entity should be able to make use of the Endurance property as they see fit. Once ownership is determined I would have no problem with the owners leaving the ship untouched and only photographed, salvaged in its entirety or bringing some number of artifacts to the surface, with the legal owners having the right to sell them or put them in a museum for all to see. If I had to guess I'd say that since Shackleton bought the ship, his heirs have the best claim to ownership. Though given the way laws work in Great Britain, the British government could have the stronger claim, in which case any and all of Endurance raised would end up in a museum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread