England Day 6, 7, & Summary

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 800, Manticore
Hi guys. I wanted to post a few days ago but my hotel internet was so slow it made doing this quite a chore. But now that I'm back in the states I can share my finds from the last few days I was detecting in Essex UK.

ON Day 6, I did find a silver hammered but completely wiped. I believe the going term for these is a 'slick willy'. Nonetheless I was quite happy. I got quite a few copper coins too and descent buckle.

20220929_193034.jpg

Day 7 was kind of slow. I didn't find a single thing in the morning. The afternoon picked up a bit and along with the usual greenies I was lucky enough to get a Saxon relic - a Saxon horse cheek harness buckle.

20220930_190510.jpg

I had a blast on my 7 day England detecting adventure and would recommended any serious detectorist give it a try. All in all, I found around 35 old copper coins one of which is a possible roman, 3 hammered silver coins including an King Edward I long cross, a cut short cross, and slick willie, 2 milled silver coins, loads of buttons, an item that may or may not be a sword hanger (Crusader thinks it's a horse gag), a Saxon buckle and numerous do-dads and relics.

20220930_193726.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Upvote 31

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a great time!! Thanks for sharing your adventure. Hope to go someday myself. May I ask what that largest copper coin is? Lol it dwarfs most other ones.

OP
OP
iAmMike

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Looks like you had a great time!! Thanks for sharing your adventure. Hope to go someday myself. May I ask what that largest copper coin is? Lol it dwarfs most other ones.
100% correct, I had an awesome time! I hope you'll make it out sometime! I don't know for sure but it greatly resembles the 1997 cartwheel in diameter and thickness but I can't make out any of the detain of the penny. Instead there is some type of script writing on the front. One person suggested an Islamic coin due to this art working resembling Arabic but another thinks it is the Cartwheel that someone engraved onto.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys. I wanted to post a few days ago but my hotel internet was so slow it made doing this quite a chore. But now that I'm back in the states I can share my finds from the last few days I was detecting in Essex UK.

ON Day 6, I did find a silver hammered but completely wiped. I believe the going term for these is a 'slick willie'. Nonetheless I was quite happy. I got quite a few copper coins too and descent buckle.

View attachment 2048854

Day 7 was kind of slow. I didn't find a single thing in the morning. The afternoon picked up a bit and along with the usual greenies I was lucky enough to get a Saxon relic - a Saxon horse cheek harness buckle.

View attachment 2048862

I had a blast on my 7 day England detecting adventure and would recommended any serious detectorist give it a try. All in all, I found around 35 old copper coins one of which is a possible roman, 3 hammered silver coins including an King Edward I long cross, a cut short cross, and slick willie, 2 milled silver coins, loads of buttons, an item that may or may not be a sword hanger (Crusader thinks it's a horse gag), a Saxon buckle and numerous do-dads and relics.

View attachment 2048868

Thanks for looking.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now you can edit your summary, and add you gold nugget! :headbang:
Congratulations on your first trip, and your recoveries.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
100% correct, I had an awesome time! I hope you'll make it out sometime! I don't know for sure but it greatly resembles the 1997 cartwheel in diameter and thickness but I can't make out any of the detain of the penny. Instead there is some type of script writing on the front. One person suggested an Islamic coin due to this art working resembling Arabic but another thinks it is the Cartwheel that someone engraved onto.
That's kinda what I was seeing in pic, it's not that clear, as I'm using my phone. But to me it looked like a smoothed coin with like a colonial type script letter love token.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a 'slick willy' but not a hammered - the term is used for William III coins that are worn & I'm surprised no-one told you that it was made into a 'Love Token'(bent in 2 directions) from a Sixpence which is fairly common.
The Saxon/Viking piece isn't a Cheek Piece but part of a 10th-11th C AD 2-way or 4-way Strap Junction. Good find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iAmMike

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
It is a 'slick willy' but not a hammered - the term is used for William III coins that are worn & I'm surprised no-one told you that it was made into a 'Love Token'(bent in 2 directions) from a Sixpence which is fairly common.
The Saxon/Viking piece isn't a Cheek Piece but part of a 10th-11th C AD 2-way or 4-way Strap Junction. Good find.
I can't look at the coin again right now because it's still in the process of being exported but from what I recall, it wasn't bent but rather mangled from the likes of a plow. It was very thin ,how can you be sure it wasn't a hammered from the photo? It didn't appear to be purposely cleaned for the purpose of a love token but again I can't examine it ATM. But thank you for the information. Especially the article on the strap junction! Cheers!

OP
OP
iAmMike

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
That's kinda what I was seeing in pic, it's not that clear, as I'm using my phone. But to me it looked like a smoothed coin with like a colonial type script letter love token.
Not sure how long it'll be before the finds are exported to me but hopefully I'll be able to clean it up a little and get a better look at it when I receive it. I was super busy with detecting all day and had little time to really examine any of these finds before I handed them off to be exported on my behalf.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure how long it'll be before the finds are exported to me but hopefully I'll be able to clean it up a little and get a better look at it when I receive it. I was super busy with detecting all day and had little time to really examine any of these finds before I handed them off to be exported on my behalf.
So if a american or any other of countrymen, not born of there goes metal detecting. Makes the finds you did. Do they got to inspect your finds & make sure they are not deemed treasure before they will return them to you. Or do they just got to go thru customs & then sent back to you. You could not just carry your finds on the plane with you. Thanks.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So if a american or any other of countrymen, not born of there goes metal detecting. Makes the finds you did. Do they got to inspect your finds & make sure they are not deemed treasure before they will return them to you. Or do they just got to go thru customs & then sent back to you. You could not just carry your finds on the plane with you. Thanks.
After the person prepares the pouch the export paperwork will be forwarded/picked up by the finder.
Each find will be described.
Here's one of my papers.
20221003_210556.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 100% sure its a Will III sixpence very worn & it is a love token bent in different directions & NOT damaged by ploughing action. I have a fist full of them, I know what I'm looking at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread