Engraved Watch Back Plate is 350+ Years-Old! Searching for the Rest.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this thin piece of brass at a cellar hole site, which produced a late 19th century button and a jaw harp fragment but little else during my 1-2 hour search. At a glance, I thought that it might be a dandy button, but the brass piece was too large and oval-shaped. It was also too thin to be a belt plate, and so I figured it for nothing more than some odd piece of scrap, junk soon to be discarded. But then I noticed it had some engravings, actually some ornate lettering with a name and location – London, though it was engraved “LONDINI.” I was perplexed by the odd spelling. ???

Upon returning home, some light brushing with mineral oil revealed the full engraving, “Samuel Betts, Londini.”

P5070036.JPG

I considered that I might have found a back plate from a 19th century watch. I googled the inscription and found numerous references to Samuel Betts. It turned out that I was half right and half wrong. It was a back plate from a watch, but it dated back to the mid-1600s - 200 years earlier than what I had thought! “Londini was the spelling for London in Latin, and the earliest watches came in both round and oval shapes.

My online search showed that Samuel Betts was an important early English clockmaker who made both watches and clocks from 1640-1673. He is regarded as a great pioneer in the art and intricacies of watchmaking. His watches are in the British Museum and other notable collections. Some examples of his work are shown below with the same signature found on the dug back plate.

preview_01356773_001.jpg
Similar signature on a Samuel Betts watch.

c3242474dee9ab4737f7086f08e88584.jpg
British Museum - Date - 1665-1670.

12af00aedb36d0ca801edf0562363ddd.jpg
Colonial Williamsburg Collection - Date - 1665

betts2_adj11.jpg
Another Betts Watch.

We live in a remarkable age. A slight piece of engraved brass dug from a remote cellar hole offers up a clue of its past, soon revealed with a few key strokes and the click of a mouse. An online search accomplished in mere seconds traces back a history from four centuries ago – amazing!

God only knows what happened to the rest of the watch – its casing, dials, and so forth. This find is terribly incomplete, but I’m still quite happy with its recovery. It’s one of my oldest English finds, and I can absolutely connect it do a single person who lived four centuries ago; moreover, it’s a piece of metal work handmade by this one person, a master craftsman, toiling away in his workshop in 17th century London.

P5220034.JPG P5220042.JPG

As might be expected, I made one return trip to the cellar hole in the far-flung hope of finding more of this early watch. The back plate was found along a stone wall at the end of a wagon road approximately 140’ from the cellar hole. I worked this area back & forth making runs ever closer to the cellar hole but came up with no traces of the watch. I did recover an 1817 Matron Head Large Cent in better than expected condition for a dug coin, so I didn’t go home empty-handed. I’ll get back to the cellar hole in the fall for some further searching. It’s not likely that the rest of the watch will ever be found, but you never know.

Good Hunting to All!

Last edited:
Upvote 47
OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That watch plate is a very special find! Pretty amazing and it cleaned up really nicely! It is pretty mind-blowing that it could be traced to an actual person in the 1600's! That makes it extra special! One has to wonder where the rest of the watch went? Not just a great find but a great post to go with it! Hope you find the rest of it or more of it! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much. I think trdking has it right on the whereabouts of remaining watch. But I still like what I have. It's one of those finds with a degree of significance that only comes later after some research and consideration of the connection to a distant history of people and places far removed from today.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once broken, the watch could have been used to settle a debt.
Another highly possible scenario is that it was stolen off someone..perhaps robbed...perhaps murdered.

The valuables would have to be melted down to eliminate evidence.
If only the person had a clue of how valuable it would become if preserved.

I have found pieces of pocket watches..never the front or back piece and certainly not that old!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool piece of history. Nice save :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, I already have a nice display case for it. I was glad to have carefully handled it until I got home rather than just cramming it in my digging pouch. A close-up view shows a rough rectangle carved into the brass by Betts. I assume it shows his though process in trying to lay out the springs, gears, and other components.

Just thought I'd share this display idea with you after seeing your pocket watch find. :thumbsup:
I found this on Sunday at a 200+ year old homestead. Now I realize it may only be c1900, but I never find the face usually only the frame.
This is a thick plastic coin holder case that I bought through Amazon last winter.

Dave

Attachments

• Watchface02.jpg
    Watchface02.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Watchface03.jpg
    Watchface03.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 36

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and great research! Congrats!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
STC, that is a VERY cool find. Banner vote is in.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I'd share this display idea with you after seeing your pocket watch find. :thumbsup:
I found this on Sunday at a 200+ year old homestead. Now I realize it may only be c1900, but I never find the face usually only the frame.
This is a thick plastic coin holder case that I bought through Amazon last winter.

Dave

I purchased some individual display cases that are quite useful. I'll post it when I have a chance. Yes, the watch faces are seldom found. Nice recovery.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a super cool save!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think there weren't a lot of folks in 17th century colonial America carrying around such a watch. The cellar hole is located in a town about 14 miles away from Newport, RI, which was fast becoming a prosperous, cosmopolitan port town in the 17th century. My guess is the watch was an heirloom passed down to a family member who eventually settled on land where the cellar hole is located.
Only the very wealthy could afford to possess a time piece. 99.9% of the world was still on sun dial :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread