EQ800 5th & 6th Hunts Field2 & Park2

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
A little background on this particular "test" site that I take every machine to that I've owned over the past 12 years since I got my first detector. The site has both mineralized soil, and mild EMI, which some machines handle a LOT better than others. First I tried a Fisher C$ and Minelab Sovereign, and maybe got one wheat penny (C$ was shut down from the EMI). I figured there had to be more there, but it wasn’t until I got the CZ70 that it opened up. Someone had cleaned out the top 6” of targets, so anything left there was either deep, masked or both. First trip with the CZ was like Christmas! After 5-6 trips the CZ played out. Then every new machine I got I’d take there, and see what it could find. The first few trips there with the F75 did well, took my Etrac there and only got one wheat and a maverick bakery token. Then for about three years it petered out, it would take everything I had busting my butt to eek out one IHP or wheat, but silver dried up for about three years. I still figured there had to be more. When I got my Red Racer, I did a shoot-out between it and my (at that time) beloved F75. I first detected it with my F75 LTD2, and got nothing, only iron grunts, zero conductors. Then I switched to the Red Racer and pulled two silvers, an IHP and wheatie. It was an eye opener, first silver in three years, and not one, but two AND it was on basically my first hunt with the Red Racer. Then each subsequent trip with the Racers the site was back on, and not all the old coins were deep, several were masked with iron that prevented other detectors from getting thanks to Makro's world class unmasking capabilities. Matter of fact I had my best day there with my Racer2, something like 12 period coins in one hunt including four silvers, it was simply unbelievable to me that my pounded site that I practically gave up on, produced this many coins in about a 3 hour hunt.

As you all know these sites don’t exactly replenish themselves with period coins, so for for the Equinox to do what it did this weekend is beyond impressive, eight DEEP period coins in about three hours is fantastic! For this site I used Park2, and ran it hot with the gain between 22-24, even was able to run it at 25, but found it started to like deep nails at 25. By the way, this site is loaded with old square nails. The original building that was there burned down in the mid 1800's, and I suspect that they razed the burned remnants around this site, and dumped fill dirt over the razed burnt remains when the built the replacement building went up, as once you get down to around 10" - 12" you seem to hit a sea of square nails. Never have found a seated at this site, it's certainly old enough to have them, but I suspect they are beneath this sea of nails.

This was a deep mid conductor signal tangled in heavy tree roots. Little did I know how deep this would turn out to be! Between my Lesche shovel and digger, and a lot of patience (and a few curse words thrown in for good measure!) I finally pulled brought this sucker back to life, it was a dateless buffalo nickel!
40280195465_92c16d7ff0_c.jpg

26303517997_cfb849dc0b_c.jpg

39365770750_13aa785b5f_c.jpg

26303514657_829acfff57_c.jpg

This is what was in that monstrous 10" deep hole!
40280200625_d8a61cb3f4_c.jpg

26303512877_93ec4a10bc_c.jpg

Total take for this hunt (3 hours) was five teens wheaties, a dateless buffalo nickel, 1902-S Barber dime (yeah!!!), 1936-S Mercury dime, some kind of silver button (that sucker was DEEEEEP), a poppers wedding ring, DEEP civil ware era (?) two piece Navy cuff button (this thing is going to LOVE buttons), and two suspender buckles/clips. Now I will say that the non-modulated audio on shallow stiff is a major PITA for deep turf hunting, so I did dig some zincolns, and shallow clad
angry.png

27302447148_d045ebd937_c.jpg

27302443028_a7d68a35f5_c.jpg

This was my second hunt, which I did in Field2. It's a little fresh water beach area that I've pounded over the years. Haven't found a ton there, few wheats, mercs, some rings in the water, and some 1800's relics, but I love the history of the site, and figure detecting it will eventually pay off with something really good (that hasn't happened yet, but I know something really good has to be hiding out there, probably in the water though!).
I've never dug this many wheaties there in one hunt, and I love the wheatie with the iron fused to it!
40280198645_58aa1dab27_c.jpg

Also got a nice antique looking sterling silver ring and a 43' silver war nickle:
40280196715_7162a0065a_c.jpg

27302450318_a1ca864bb6_c.jpg

As I was heading back to the car, I ran into another guy detecting there with a White's MX Sport. Was a pretty friendly guy, and we started chatting. He knew about the EQ800 and said that would be his next machine. He was hunting in the turf, not the beach. I told him I was hunting the beach and he told me that I wouldn't find anything there because he'd already cleaned it out
wink.png
Now truth be told, I was a bit impressed with his MX Sport as he'd just dug a 9" deep merc when I came up on him. He said he's mainly a prospector and had done a lot of dredging in California but when they shut it down, he moved to Alaska. Interesting guy to chat with for sure.
HH,
Cal

Upvote 39

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....Now that I'm starting to get a good handle on the detector, I need to start testing recovery speed and iron bias to see how they help. ....

Yes. If you do an air test, try this: Measure and mark the depth range, for whatever settings you'd been at, in park -2 mode. Which , if I recall, is recovery speed factory pre-set at 6. Now lower than to 3 , and try the air-test again. I believe you'll see you're getting a bit more depth.

Unlike the Exp. II , where "fast" vs "slow" (the only 2 options) does not seem to affect depth. The Nox, on the other hand, does seem to get a tad more depth by slowing it way down. Of course, the down-side would be: Less target separation, and more prone to masking, eh ?

The real test is to try it in the field with flagged targets. Because perhaps recovery speed of 3 is still commensurate with "fast" on other machines ?

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yes. If you do an air test, try this: Measure and mark the depth range, for whatever settings you'd been at, in park -2 mode. Which , if I recall, is recovery speed factory pre-set at 6. Now lower than to 3 , and try the air-test again. I believe you'll see you're getting a bit more depth.

Unlike the Exp. II , where "fast" vs "slow" (the only 2 options) does not seem to affect depth. The Nox, on the other hand, does seem to get a tad more depth by slowing it way down. Of course, the down-side would be: Less target separation, and more prone to masking, eh ?

The real test is to try it in the field with flagged targets. Because perhaps recovery speed of 3 is still commensurate with "fast" on other machines ?

I'll have to play around with it. Perhaps if you and I are able to get out Saturday, we can meet up to hunt a 'daytime' site first for a while and flag some signals to compare, as when we get to site two, I'll be too focused on finding my next gold coin to waste time doing that :laughing7:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Curious on whether you experimented with park 1 or field 1 in your testing on your spots, and if so what were your conclusions. Thanks

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that informative story. Some nice finds also. Congrats!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing 4" deep at the site I dug my 1902S barber is modern clad, but most of that's been stripped away, so surface clad tends to be only 1"-2" deep for the most part, you need to get to 8" or so any more to get coins from this spot. I'll tell you that most of the signals were not great, if you're used to a banging signal from a shallow coin, the deep ones have been for me totally different, I get fluttery, flutey high tones that can bounce around from the mid 20's to low 30's.

The next time I get out to a site like this, and get what I think is going to be a deep coin that comes in like I described above, I'm going to check it with various search modes and settings and see if I can dial the detector in better to perhaps get a better signal and maybe even a bit more depth.

HH,
Cal

Still think if you try P1 preset, you'll get a nice solid signal on deep silver. (5 tone)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those sure are some great finds!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Curious on whether you experimented with park 1 or field 1 in your testing on your spots, and if so what were your conclusions. Thanks

I didn't, wish I had, but I stuck with Park2 and Field2.

Next time I get a deep iffy high tone signal I plan to test the other search modes on it.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Still think if you try P1 preset, you'll get a nice solid signal on deep silver. (5 tone)

5 tone over 50 tone eh?

I'll try it the next time I get one, I'm super curious now :thumbsup:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the different machines-this was very helpful, especially with regards to the Equinox.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a pile of goodies! Congrats! :treasurechest:

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Thanks for the detailed story of your experience! It sounds great. I have found deep holes hard to dig and put back in good shape. Any suggestions for a clean and neat deep hole? Also, when going deep, how does one avoid pipes and wires? Thanks!

almost impossible especially if you sever the roots in the plug!..do the best you can ,and hope it takes root again!
use a cloth to contain the dirt!

j.t.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
almost impossible especially if you sever the roots in the plug!..do the best you can ,and hope it takes root again!
use a cloth to contain the dirt!

j.t.

Yes...the cloth really helps put it all back together in good shape. I dug over 250 holes in a summer/fall in an old schoolyard permission in a lawn and the lawn stayed in good shape...most items about 4-6 inches...a few deeper.

Mar 24, 2018
Quad Cities
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-TRAC, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Garrett Pro Pointer AT w/Z-Lynk, Sunray X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it was a good way to spend 3 hours. Glad to hear the Equinox 800 is working out well for you. I am still waiting for mine to arrive and can’t wait to take it for its maiden voyage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread