Equinox 6” or 15” coil

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
6". The stock coil goes deep! The 6" is a dream in tight spots and super light. I use the 15" the least of the 3

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I got the 6" on, I've taken it off once in the almost year that I've had it. I love it.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the stock coil for open areas that are relatively trash free to cover ground quickly. The 6" is great in the trashier areas plus it is a lot lighter. I guess it would all depend on what you hunt the most, fields or parks/house places. I love my 6" coil.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't vouch for the 15 inch coil as I've never used it, but I do own the 6 inch coil and nothing is better for hunting trashy areas.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I’m going to get the 6” first although I can’t help but wonder if I’m missing anything deeper than the stock coil can see.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I honestly hate how deep the stock coil goes lol. I have to use a trowel or knife in my area and the soil is rock hard. Digging an aluminum bottle cap 10" deep can piss a person off in a jiffy. 6" deep, ya ok not so bad

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I think I’m going to get the 6” first although I can’t help but wonder if I’m missing anything deeper than the stock coil can see.
That’s probably gonna be your best thing to do. Big coils for big areas (fields).
now here is a secret trick I use with the 6” coil. When doing areas like swing sets, metal fences.
Drop a quarter on the ground and gradually lower the sensitivity so you will barely hit on it at 4-6” and raise the iron bias . Now you can get under slides and closer to fences and posts where others can’t detect. Won’t work all the time but it dose help. But try not using pinpointed when doing this. Basically detune it. I got a newer $1 coin that way under a metal kids slide.
this is what I do because the 6” coil is a very good coil, this can also be done with the 11” coil and if you can get closer to metal things than other detector you may find things they can’t.

Your Friend; Doug

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every detector I have ever owned, I've bought a small coil it, and the same holds true for the EQ. Like others, I REALLY like that 6" coil, and use it a lot. For me, I would really not have much use for a 15" coil, but that's me. For you Pointman, a 15" may come in handy on occasion, and having all three along with that machine, I figure you would be covered for just about any kind of detecting anywhere. For now, sure, the 6". At some later time?, go 15. Anything bigger then that I would need to have some wheels on it or something.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using the stock 11" coil in a super trashy old park and still finding plenty of old coins. No secret here, I hunt in Park 1 50 tones and go SLOW. The stock coil does a great job of sniffing stuff out IMHO. I was gonna hold out in the hopes that ML would come out with an 8" coil, not going to hold my breath on that one though.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beach hunt a lot, so, the 15" coil is a must. Great for big open fields too and it's still sensitive to tiny targets. The 6" I mainly use in high trash areas or where there is a lot of fixed ferrous stuff, like fence posts and playground equipment. I use the stock 11" for most other places. Your intended use should be your deciding factor.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for stock as the go to and the other coils as situational. The 6" is great for tight spots or high target density situations, but I don't care if it was as deep as the stock, I would never use it in wide open situations unless you wanted to tiptoe around or don't care about leaving swaths of uncovered ground because the swing coverage is just not there at 6 inches. Get the 15" coil for the 15" swing coverage, not depth. It is only 12 inches wide so it might nab you at most an additional inch over the stock coil.

Decide which situation benefits you most (tight spots/high density targets or wide open spaces where swing coverage matters) and choose the appropriate coil. HTH.

Last edited:

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put the 15 on as soon as they were released and there it stayed. No matter where I hunt.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the advice. I think I may start with the 6” first. I only have one place where I could use the coverage of the 15” coil. Most of my detecting is around old houses and smaller (=< 1/2 acre) lots.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that sounds like a good choice for those areas, good luck

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
6". The stock coil goes deep! The 6" is a dream in tight spots and super light. I use the 15" the least of the 3

I actually traded my 15" in for a 6" early this summer, and have had no regrets whatsoever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions