Equinox 800 15"x12" coil for the beach

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like my Equinox 800. This machine goes deeper than my Excal-2 at the beach. It loves copper, silver, and gold. It finds tiny items 8"-10" down.

Looking at the Minelab 15"x12" coil. Is it worth the money for the beach? I have watched several videos and it gets an extra inch depth, but the biggest plus is the extra coverage area. If you have this coil please share your experience. Thanks

Upvote 2

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I really like my Equinox 800. This machine goes deeper than my Excal-2 at the beach. It loves copper, silver, and gold. It finds tiny items 8"-10" down.

Looking at the Minelab 15"x12" coil. Is it worth the money for the beach? I have watched several videos and it gets an extra inch depth, but the biggest plus is the extra coverage area. If you have this coil please share your experience. Thanks
When I hunt with my equinox it’s the only coil I use at the beach. i Can cover more area and I find that by using the front edge to home in on my target I rarely use the pin pointer. To me it’s worth the money.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
It my only coil in the water. More area, same time. I go back to the 1990s with the WOT coil for the Excalibur Sword. On the sand just remember the larger the coil the more weight to swing. y ATX was so heavy I had to get the Minelab 45 vest. For the Excalibur I bought an Over-Under shaft to better balance the wight of the larger coils.

Last edited:

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It my only coil in the water. More area, same time. I go back to the 1990s with the WOT coil for the Excalibur Sword. On the sand just remember the larger the coil the more weight to swing. y ATX was so heavy I had to get the Minelab 45 vest. For the Excalibur I bought an Over-Under shaft to better balance the wight of the larger coils.
It does add some weight, I bought a carbon fiber shaft to help offset the added weight. Since I rarely hunt dry sand it’s not to bad, but when I do use it in the dry it gets heavy after awhile.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does add some weight, I bought a carbon fiber shaft to help offset the added weight. Since I rarely hunt dry sand it’s not to bad, but when I do use it in the dry it gets heavy after awhile.

Thanks all for the replies.
But compared to the stock coil, do you feel that you are finding deeper targets? I usually hunt the low part of the beach and surf. Is the Nox 800 with 15"x12" coil better than the Deus2 with 11" coil for the beach?

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks all for the replies.
But compared to the stock coil, do you feel that you are finding deeper targets? I usually hunt the low part of the beach and surf. Is the Nox 800 with 15"x12" coil better than the Deus2 with 11" coil for the beach?
i’m sure the bigger coil is deeper, it’s the nature of the larger coils. As far as comparing it to the deus2 I have no experience with one.
you will find that if the surf is rough it has a tendency get pushed around with the waves. If I’m hunting the surf line I adjust my swing so that I go with the direction of the water movement.

Earlafindit

Nov 19, 2009
Mid Atlantic Coast DE.
Detector(s) used
f75se,CTX3030, , Deus ,Excal blue 800 & 1000 , Manticore , TDI BeachHunter
Primary Interest:
The 15 inch I have been running- as soon as they became available , love the coverage , however in the water , run the 11 , or you will tare up the coil ears on the 15 in the surf , in water it will flip up , the 15 inch is a perfect coil to run in the wet & dry sand .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's the best coil I've ever used.....as far as performance. Great depth and coverage as well as sensitivity to tiny targets. It pin points as good as a small coil IMO. It's drawbacks are, weak attachment ears (I've had to replace two of them for that reason), and making the Nox a bit nose heavy. I'd also like the hinge point to be slightly off-center so that it will stay level while swinging in sand/dirt. It seems once the washers wear a bit, the coil tends to tilt up in the front due to sand/dirt accumulation on the rear of the coil. I'm waiting to get the new improved model designed for the 900. That should have the re-enforced ears to cure that shortcoming with the current ones. If you want the most depth you can get, buy the Coiltek 15" coil. It's the deepest, but, it also is the heaviest and doesn't pin point quite as well as the Minelab coil. No problems with the coil ears so far though.

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I purchased the ear stiffeners for all of my coils, that being said I’ve never broken a coil ear (yet)

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard today that Minelab may be coming out with new improved 15" coil for the Equinox 800/900. Has anyone else heard this?

Also was looking at the XP Deus 2 for an upgrade for the beach but after watching lots of videos I am less inclined. The Deus 2 requires charging separately the headphones, detector, and coil. If the battery has to be replaced for the coil, it is sort of messy task. I have been a Minelab guy for a long time and may stay that way for now.

Last edited:

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 15x12 always made it hard to miss targets. Great for coverage and expands the detection to the sides some as well (often overlooked). On some heavier gold rings it does add up to a few inches depth. The only time I cussed at the thing a little bit, was in the bigger waves, or when needing to scan in the scooped hole more (I mostly in-water hunt). You can ditch the coil covers and run for years totally fine with the nox coils, even on gravel, sand rocks.

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The 15x12 always made it hard to miss targets. Great for coverage and expands the detection to the sides some as well (often overlooked). On some heavier gold rings it does add up to a few inches depth. The only time I cussed at the thing a little bit, was in the bigger waves, or when needing to scan in the scooped hole more (I mostly in-water hunt). You can ditch the coil covers and run for years totally fine with the nox coils, even on gravel, sand rocks.
I’m with you trying to get it into a hole when water hunting can be difficult, I also do not use the coil cover

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread