Equinox 800 in the Water: Yes? No?

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may have been discussed many times before, but I would some clarification.
I mainly use my Equinox 800 at the ocean/beach, usually on dry sand or surf up to about knee deep.

Last week, I was talking with someone at the beach, who also had an Equinox 800, and they said it was not design for the head to go under water.

Other people on this site have said the head is suppose to be waterproof. I have never submerged the head on 800, except for one time when I fell down and it was only completely under water for a few seconds., and it was fine afterwards.

I am asking because where I go to the beach, there is usually a sand bar just a little further out from the shore line that I would to start checking, but to use my detector, the head would have to be submerged.

So what is the truth? Can you safely submerge the Equinox 800 completely under water? Is it really designed to be used under water?

All comments and suggested appreciated.

Thank you

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some folks have experienced leaks with the 800 but so far our two 800s have not leaked. Normally the depth I use mine is 12 -18 inches over the control unit. Doesn't mean that my next time out won't be a disaster though so in my opinion it is a bit of a coin toss.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto. I've never had a problem with mine in the surf, but, other have....so it's a bit of a crap shoot. If it's still under warranty, Minelab will replace it if it drowns. You'll just be out of the shipping to them and the time it takes to get a new one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my screen under water multiple times with no issues

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well check out the Hoover Boys - they use Nox and hunt in rivers/bays much of summer. This is a good example. Watch the guy doing the video and his detector, a Nox 800. Look waterproof to you? If it leaks - you can send into Minelab and they fix. Some have had this problem but it is supposed to be waterproof. I have one and am happy with it so far. No idea if you are diving.

Underwater Treasures Preserved Perfectly! First Water Hunt of 2023!!

@10:33 minutes in particular

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought they was supposed to be water proof down to about 10 feet ?

Debatedc

Greenie
Nov 6, 2017
West Central MO
Detector(s) used
Deus II, MI-6 Pinpointer. Equinox 800, Equinox 600, AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I've seen it looks like the charging point gets hot from resistance (not plugged in, just magnetic attachment) and the plastic housing around it expands/contracts and then cracks/leaks. Just my opinion.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"EQUINOX is fully submersible, ideal for detecting at the beach and in rivers, streams and lakes. (3m / 10-feet)." right from Minelab's site.
I personally believe waves slamming against any detector will eventually cause problems. However, the Nox 800 has probably found more coins and more silver than any other machine made during the same time period. IMO Just watch the guys using them on Youtube. And if you want to jam your coil into a hole or use it to remove gravel on the floor of rivers, lakes, bays, and ocean - better buy yourself a 'coil ear Stiffener Protector' for $9 on E-bay or Amazon etc. before your coil ears snap off. This is recommended by experts who have used Equinox since it first came out.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've seen it looks like the charging point gets hot from resistance (not plugged in, just magnetic attachment) and the plastic housing around it expands/contracts and then cracks/leaks. Just my opinion.
That's my understanding too....it's around the charging port where the majority of the leaks occur.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well check out the Hoover Boys - they use Nox and hunt in rivers/bays much of summer. This is a good example. Watch the guy doing the video and his detector, a Nox 800. Look waterproof to you? If it leaks - you can send into Minelab and they fix.
At the beginning of the season this year Kurt of the Hoover Boys had his 800 flood, so he was back to using his AT Pro for a few months until he got his 800 back from Minelab. So it really is a crapshoot.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last August my 800 flooded after about the fifth time in the water with it. I never had the control pod deeper than one or two feet. It was out of warranty, so I had to pay $429 for a replacement pod with a 3-year warranty. Fast forward to a couple of days ago when I took the new 800 into the water for the first time. It worked fine for the entire hunt but as soon as I got out of the water and flipped it upside down it stopped working. Water must have been sitting in the grip area and then drained to the circuit board when I turned it over. Minelab will replace this one under warranty but I have lost all confidence in the Nox 800 as a water machine. I'll probably sell it after I get the replacement and buy either a 900 or a Legend. I'm leaning towards a 900 because I already own waterproof headphones and another coil for the Nox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread