Travel240z

Greenie
Dec 16, 2018
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600, Previous detectors were the Garrett AT series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recently picked up an Equinox 800. It is currently winter so I can only use it in my test garden but so far am really liking it. I do have one question though, can you tell if the metal is thick or thin? My definition of thick is the thickness of a penny and thin would be like 1/4 or less than the thickness of a penny.

My AT Max would be scratchy sounding on thin metal and have a more solid sound on the thicker metals. I am using the equinox in 50 tone mode and can hear the depth, if the metal is relatively pure or an alloy, even got the idea of the sound for corrosion but am missing the thick versus thin.

Upvote 1

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A thin silver ring might be a 29 reading and a bigger one 31 or so. 2 nickels stacked on top of each other Ive gotten a 16. One alone I would get a 13 usually. A scrap of a can would be a softer sound than a crushed can. Also a much different variance of reading than the other examples. Something a fraction of an inch of same material might be hard to determine.

OP
OP
T

Travel240z

Greenie
Dec 16, 2018
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600, Previous detectors were the Garrett AT series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Armstrong. I was wondering if the Equinox would ring as solid sounding on different thickness of the same metal. From your answer I believe it will but at a different lower tone (50 tone). Therefore, you will not know until you dig the item.

I find air testing does not compare to ground testing when it comes to the sound nuances. I was trying the thick and thin from a sound standpoint but could not tell the difference as even the tone was the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread