Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 1

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A counterweight is a necessity. I can hunt 3 times longer without my arm getting tired

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a video of a guy that attached a 2lb scuba belt weight to the arm cuff and problem solved.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the Equinox 800. One thing I noticed is that it feels heavy after about 1 hr. This shouldn’t be but I wonder if it is because of the straight shaft. Any options?
What coil are you using? If you don't like the straight rod, I think Steve's Detecting Rods has come out with an "S" rod for one, along with his counterweighted ones. You could also just use a sling too.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
I really like the Equinox 800. One thing I noticed is that it feels heavy after about 1 hr. This shouldn’t be but I wonder if it is because of the straight shaft. Any options?
Shoot an email to Steve, you never know what is about to come out of his ‘skunk works’ factory ;)

Two things to try, shorten the shaft a little, this reduces the leverage. And it looks like you beach hunt like I do. In dry and wet sand, I drag the coil a little bit. Let the earth carry some. If it sticks very slightly lift the edge of the coil going in the direction you are sweeping. Steve has a wealth of knowledge about this topic and helped me several times. HH

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
I use the Equinox 800 w 15" coil for an average hunt of 5 hrs often all in water and have to switch arms every hour or 2. I think of it as a workout. Then again I'm 70...and have a carbon fiber rod by Steve's and, although I don't use it, the shaft end is designed for counter weight. Even w the original shaft, it would seem easy to add a counterweight that adds weight but makes it lighter. Strange how it does that...

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered a scuba weight. Will try this first. Hoping it works.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my pods set back 4” from the cuff and it balance very well. It also kept the pods out of the water and surprisingly I had less repairs. I’d still love to see these machines modernized a bit. Because in the water they are still the machine others use as a comparison. 3 year warranty would impress too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread