Equinox 800-won't find earring under any setting? Newbie

vellucci123

Jun 8, 2022
Hi, New to the forum from Northern Virginia and new to the hobby-Retired Age 67. I would appreciate your advice. Dropped a gold earring on a lawn two weeks ago-grass is very thick and they do not bag the grass clippings. So the earring is there. Bought a Nox 800 to find it and start my hobby (Great excuse for my wife) . I have the other earring. Trying to preset the Nox but I can't find a setting that picks it up. It weighs about 2.25 grams and measures .352 in. Is it too small? Using high sensitivity. Went through all the frequencies and the automated settings, yard, field, gold. It is 18k gold but it is also part ferrous as a magnet picks it up. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. earring.jpg Charlie K

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn on, press the horseshoe button (turning off all discrimination) and then sweep it. It will pick it up.

You say it's "18k," but also magnetic; it sounds like "gold-plated," to me. In that case, it would likely be read by the machine in the "iron range" (negative numbers, most likely). And when you turn the machine on, the "iron range" is discriminated (the machine won't see a target that registers as iron). However, pressing the horseshoe button will turn off the iron discrimination, and at that point the machine will detect the target.

Steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox will pick it up, but if it is sticking to a magnet it is mostly ferrous and will most likely be in the -9 to 0 range. Do you have that range discriminated out?

bbhchartequinox.jpg

OP
OP
V

vellucci123

Jun 8, 2022
The Equinox will pick it up, but if it is sticking to a magnet it is mostly ferrous and will most likely be in the -9 to 0 range. Do you have that range discriminated out?

bbhchartequinox.jpg
Thanks for the specific advice on the Equinox settings. I will give this a try. Machine is a bit intimidating for a new detectorist. But , I am a patient man. I'll let you know how I make out.

OP
OP
V

vellucci123

Jun 8, 2022
Turn on, press the horseshoe button (turning off all discrimination) and then sweep it. It will pick it up.

You say it's "18k," but also magnetic; it sounds like "gold-plated," to me. In that case, it would likely be read by the machine in the "iron range" (negative numbers, most likely). And when you turn the machine on, the "iron range" is discriminated (the machine won't see a target that registers as iron). However, pressing the horseshoe button will turn off the iron discrimination, and at that point the machine will detect the target.

Steve
Good advice! I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021

Steve
I took advantage of this lesson. Thank you for school me 😎👍🏽

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is A lot of knowledge on this forum

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you take off the fastener is it still magnetic? Does it seem to attract the pin more than the earring itself? I don't know ladies jewelry, but does the pin seem to be made of the same metal as the decorative part? I'm sure someone knows those answers.

OP
OP
V

vellucci123

Jun 8, 2022
If you take off the fastener is it still magnetic? Does it seem to attract the pin more than the earring itself? I don't know ladies jewelry, but does the pin seem to be made of the same metal as the decorative part? I'm sure someone knows those answers.
Thanks for the advice. I will check that out. The main body of the earring is a gold mesh and the ferrous part must be the post and backing.

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried a factory reset

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about trying a magnet on the one you have? Smaller coil?
Jon 8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread