cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I've said before, the 900 is everything the 800 should have been. I like everything about it. The only gripes I have are the same gripes we all have about metal detectors in general........we need better EMI rejection, a way to tell aluminum from other metals, more coil options, etc.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To you guys & gals that own equinox 900 metal detectors: Could you give some feedback on the new equinox 900? What you like/dislike about it. How does it perform? What's to like on the equinox 900 over the 800 equinox. Thanks.
I don't own the 900. I choose to go with the Manticore. But the one thing I like what Minelab did with the 900 is allow you to use the same coils from the 600/800 series on the 900. Including the coilTek coils. I have the 6" & 10X5 coilTek coils from my 800 & I don't have that option to use them on my Manticore.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I've said before, the 900 is everything the 800 should have been. I like everything about it. The only gripes I have are the same gripes we all have about metal detectors in general........we need better EMI rejection, a way to tell aluminum from other metals, more coil options, etc.
I don't own the 900. I choose to go with the Manticore. But the one thing I like what Minelab did with the 900 is allow you to use the same coils from the 600/800 series on the 900. Including the coilTek coils. I have the 6" & 10X5 coilTek coils from my 800 & I don't have that option to use them on my Manticore.
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Yeah I'm looking at getting the equinox 900 package with 2 coils, plus plan on getting a coiltek 10x5 coil. I heard possibly minelab had a smaller coil they are testing for the Manticore now. Yeah I wish Minelab didnt have their stupid proprietary coils. I agree that minelab does not offer enough coil sizes. I wish minelab would let Detech build a couple search coils for them. Thanks again.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm hoping the Minelab equinox 900 will replace/take place of my Whites DFX & V3i. I been wanting to see if the equinox 900 is as good as said. I just recently got a new Xterra Pro detector & for a budget detector it gets the job done, plus some!! I'm hoping I will like the 900 as well as the Xterra Pro but have more user adjustability with the 900.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For you guys that own the equinox 800/900, Do any of you use the coiltek 10x5 Nox coil? How does that coil perform for you? Will it see 8" of depth, say on coins & relics? Also do any of you own & use the minelab 15x12 smart coil on your equinox's? How does that coil compare to the 11"? Thanks. I appreciate all feedback good, bad, or ugly.šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Minelab 12 X 15" coil almost all of the time. Best coil I've ever used.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the equinox 900 allow you to pick more than 1 frequency at a time. Or is it 1 frequency or 6 frequencies only. I'm just curious if you could make a custom program with say 3 frequencies like 4,5,&10khz? Thanks.

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm hoping the Minelab equinox 900 will replace/take place of my Whites DFX & V3i. I been wanting to see if the equinox 900 is as good as said. I just recently got a new Xterra Pro detector & for a budget detector it gets the job done, plus some!! I'm hoping I will like the 900 as well as the Xterra Pro but have more user adjustability with the 900.
I sold both my Quantum II and DFX to help supplement the cost of my 900. Still learning it. I haven't purchased a new detector in 20yrs. and I'm blown away by multi frequency! It is VERY sensitive and takes some minor adjusting to slow the chatter but goes deeeep! I really like no love the 6" coil and the overall weight(old man with arthritis). I also purchased the XTerra Pro for my daughter and enjoy the interchangeability of coils between the two. Don't tell her but I keep it in the truck...you know just in case.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold both my Quantum II and DFX to help supplement the cost of my 900. Still learning it. I haven't purchased a new detector in 20yrs. and I'm blown away by multi frequency! It is VERY sensitive and takes some minor adjusting to slow the chatter but goes deeeep! I really like no love the 6" coil and the overall weight(old man with arthritis). I also purchased the XTerra Pro for my daughter and enjoy the interchangeability of coils between the two. Don't tell her but I keep it in the truck...you know just in case.
Yeah I bought the Xterra pro because it was waterproof. Well the xterra pro has turned out to be such a great detector for $269. That stupid lil budget xterra pro has now made me want a new equinox 900 with a few more advanced settings.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For you guys that own the equinox 800/900, Do any of you use the coiltek 10x5 Nox coil? How does that coil perform for you? Will it see 8" of depth, say on coins & relics? Also do any of you own & use the minelab 15x12 smart coil on your equinox's? How does that coil compare to the 11"? Thanks. I appreciate all feedback good, bad, or ugly.šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
If you like the XT Pro you'll definitely like the 900. It does everything better. More frequency choices, more adjustability, and more depth. I got the 10x5 with my 900 and really for me, it's a tough decision whether to use it or the 11". As long as you don't expect to go deeper than 10", you could leave it on all the time, and be confident you aren't missing anything.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like the XT Pro you'll definitely like the 900. It does everything better. More frequency choices, more adjustability, and more depth. I got the 10x5 with my 900 and really for me, it's a tough decision whether to use it or the 11". As long as you don't expect to go deeper than 10", you could leave it on all the time, and be confident you aren't missing anything.
Yeah I'm unsure what to think yet, never had a high end minelab machine. Well I done did it, I got a equinox 900 package coming & a 10x5 coiltek coil. I shall see in a week or so when it arrives what to think I guess. Thanks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the equinox 900 allow you to pick more than 1 frequency at a time. Or is it 1 frequency or 6 frequencies only. I'm just curious if you could make a custom program with say 3 frequencies like 4,5,&10khz? Thanks.
In multi-frequency, my understanding is that it's a mix of 3 of the 5 frequencies available, and that only Minelab knows the actual blend. I've heard some people have used test equipment to determine the actual mix, and some have claimed they know, but, it's not something you can change anyway. Each mode has it's own mix determined by Minelab and is not adjustable by the user. You can choose an individual frequency, but, it's fairly rare that you would need or want to.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish Minelab had put two actual gold frequencies instead of counting 20khz as one. 20khz is just a slightly better frequency than 15khz for jewelry. Instead of 40khz, they should have made it 35khz, and the second gold frequency that would have been a good match is around 70khz. This would have easily covered gold nugget sizes down to .10gm and smaller and it would help make the 900 solid competition with the Fisher Gold Bug II.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upgraded my 800 to a 900.

Took it down to the beach in CHI last weekend, first hunt with it. Didn't find anything good, but amazed how much smoother it runs. So much quieter and less erratic than the 800.

Will add more when I have more time with it.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9ā€ coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had the 800 and the 600 but sold both now my only detector is the Deus 2. I really want to get an Equinox 900 for the expanded TID range and build improvements. Wouldnā€™t mind the 700 but much prefer the 900 - especially with both 11ā€ and 6ā€ coils. Havenā€™t heard a single negative comment about either one.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Post!

Exactly what I tell my customers. They took an already great 800 and fixed all the issues and gave it a little bit more juice! Love the Minelab Equinox 900 and that small 6" coil that comes with it. AMAZING in the trash and iron!

Apr 15, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy KS,

I exclusively hunt with the 800 and 900 and I LOVE the absolute heck outta my 10x5 Coiltek coil.

I think it has great depth, balance, and target separation plus itā€™s a breeze if youā€™re in the brush.

Personally found a 1780 half reale with it at 10ā€. The VDI wasnā€™t great on the screen but the tone was consistent and high. Happy I dug that one.

I have all coiltekā€™s coils: 10x5, 14x9, 15, and their new 18 inch coil.

My least favorite is the 14x9 strictly because its balance is wonky and it feels heavier and more difficult to swing than even the 15ā€ coil.

Still field testing the 18ā€ coil and have yet to reach a verdict on it.

Will likely keep that one as a shell and sheā€™ll drag machine or for locating plates and such given the right sites. Really what itā€™s meant for overall.

Any other 800/900 or coil questions, feel free to ask away.

-Andrew

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finally getting my 900 - a return at Barts -hope the winter weather remains mild enough to get out with it- rooting for some global warming im my neck of the woods- and I do mean woods, as thatā€™s where I find my relics. Had the legend a for reasons I canā€™t recall sold it, pretty sure Iā€™ll be keeping the Nox900

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iā€™ll find out soon enough, but can anyone tell me whether or not the lower shaft can rotate- if so this would mean I can fit the whole machine in a backpack collapsed down , but if coil canā€™t be rotated Iā€™ll have to remove it to fit in, whereas the 6ā€ coil would fit whether it rotates on shaft or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread