Equinox competitor?

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't trade my MXT for any other detector out there now, its just a great detector and great in trash if you can slow down enough. HH

Yep and it has found more Gold than any other detector in History, That was not by Accident, People can claim what they like about detectors young and old but nothing will change that fact the MXT has a Proven History more so than any other.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THe Knox's update combined with the 12 x15 coil is truly a deep machine. 10" dimes and IHP's. Went out with my V3i and was beatin pretty bad for a couple of hunts in a row. Then went on the 3rd hunt found a 1895 S quarter at 13". Next day went out in an area we both hit hard and found another 1895 S quarter at 12" in way better shape. I dig a lot more nickels withy my Whites machines and find more gold. When we compare signals we almost always can hear each others targets. The Know is a good machine but now you can get a used V3i for around $700 dollars. The V is heavier has more VDI's and more highly programmable than the Knox. The Knox is lighter and a very deep machine (when programmed right and have the bigger coils). It's a personal choice what you like, but remember you also have to put the coil over the target. Then it's just luck

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if knox had the 12x15 on it you should put the SEF 15x12 or the Detech 14x10 on your V3i and they both will add a couple of inches to the V3i, I prefer the 14x10 because it is lighter than the factory D2 Coil and then you would have more depth than he has, with equal sized coils.

good luck.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Whites DFX and found thousands of dollars worth of coins and tokens with it.
And the deepest coin i ever dug with it was a 1916 -S Mercury dime at 10 carefully dug inches.
Not the best sound but i dug it. Most coins were only 8 or less inches deep.
One day i found 2 coins 1 Indian Head cent and a V nickel around 8 inches deep and i had someone with a Minelab detector go over the same area and they pulled 2 deeper coins from the same area. I bought a Minelab Etrac and dug 4 Indian Head cents at 14 deep ,and 2 wheat cents at 14"one at 12 and 1 at ten.So i'm hooked on Minelab forever.Whites will never beet Minelab for depth. I had a Whites TDI and i couldn't here the nickel at 12".
116 rabbits 005.JPG

Last edited:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Whites DFX and found thousands of dollars worth of coins and tokens with it.
And the deepest coin i ever dug with it was a 1916 -S Mercury dime at 10 carefully dug inches.
One day i found 2 coins 1 Indian Head cent and a V nickel around 8 inches deep and i had someone with a Minelab detector go over the same area and they pulled 2 deeper coins from the same area. I bought a Minelab Etrac and dug 4 Indian Head cents at 14 deep ,and 2 wheat cents at 14"one at 12 and 1 at ten.So i'm hooked on Minelab forever.Whites will never beet Minelab for depth. I had a Whites TDI and i couldn't here the nickel at 12".
View attachment 1658394

People should remember that a PI machine should only be used as a last resort when the ground mineralisation it to hot for a VLF, because with the right coil combo and skilled hands a good VLF will match a PI for depth anyway. I too have dug coins with the MXT300 and the MXT Pro at 13 / 14 inches and my average coin depth is between 10 and 14 inches, I Owned an Etrac and miss ID'd 11 out of 15 targets, ID'ing Crown caps as Coins the MXT on the other hand ID'd every one as a Crown Cap, "Why" simple it was fitted with a Concentric Coil,

PI machines do not offer anything special unless the ground is mineralizes and even then there depth is just normal where as in normal ground a good VLF will run rings around a PI and you won't be digging a heap of junk either, Take an Etrac in a junk filled site and a single frequency machine with out hunt it every which way till Sundown.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1658394
The MXT with the right coil is every bit as deep as the E-trac, I've detected with people that have one and in most cases with not perfect clean ground the nod goes to the MXT. HH

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT with the right coil is every bit as deep as the E-trac, I've detected with people that have one and in most cases with not perfect clean ground the nod goes to the MXT. HH

People don't understand that just because they paid too much for a detector does not mean they are better,

The fact is the Etrac is as Blind as Bat when it comes to small Gold and fine Necklaces etc and when it comes to Natural Gold the Nuggets have to be Quite large and the Etrac has to fitted with an After market coil to even see larger Nuggets, That is not a Good detector when you leave High Value Targets in the Ground, For hunting larger Items the Etrac woks fine but in reality it is a a one trick pony.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone still own a BlackBerry? Im old school and like simplicity and the feel of push buttons which BlackBerry has not gone away with. I like the knobs and buttons and alot of the competitors that still put out these units still offer some of there flagship machines this way....but seeing more that are resorting to press pads.:laughing7: Please all competitors keep this in mind as moving forward.
Yes i like the knobs and buttons better than the press pads also..

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i like the knobs and buttons better than the press pads also..

The thing that is good about rotary knobs and switches is that they are 100% variable and not pre set steps like push pads are, even if a push pad machine has a 100 numbers that is still not 100% variable because the are 100 pre set numbers and each number has a pre set value, Trouble is they build them that way for cheapness and every one gets suckered in,

Another stupid thing is this 99/100 tone bs because who on earth is going to remember what each of the 100 tones mean, Even a Grand Piano only has 88 keys/tones so fitting a detector with that many is the height of stupidity, All a person need to know is "Dig or No Dig". The moment a person or sales man starts talking about double digit Tones I walk away, If people want a 100 tones buy an Ipod or Walkman.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
I hope White's can come up with a multi-frequency machine to compete with Minelab and Notka/ Marko at the same price point. I'm currently interested in an MX7, but the Equinox has grabbed my attention. Multi-frequency at the $650 price point (for the Eq600) is pretty impressive. Are you listening White's? Wow me again...make me spend my money. ��

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
So I ended up buying both the MX7 and the Equinox 600. I like the MX7 and I really am digging the Equinox. Come on White's make a Multi-frequency machine that doesn't cost a grand.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thing that is good about rotary knobs and switches is that they are 100% variable and not pre set steps like push pads are, even if a push pad machine has a 100 numbers that is still not 100% variable because the are 100 pre set numbers and each number has a pre set value, Trouble is they build them that way for cheapness and every one gets suckered in,

Another stupid thing is this 99/100 tone bs because who on earth is going to remember what each of the 100 tones mean, Even a Grand Piano only has 88 keys/tones so fitting a detector with that many is the height of stupidity, All a person need to know is "Dig or No Dig". The moment a person or sales man starts talking about double digit Tones I walk away, If people want a 100 tones buy an Ipod or Walkman.

Just love my V3i with 190 different tones that I can customize by 190 different VDI numbers. Yes I actually did this, not use all of the tones but grouped the vdi's by tones to quickly distinguish targets. Then you assigned zero tone to your VDI"s that you don't want so it doesn't discriminate them out, just silences them. This helps with depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread