Equinox experts' help needed to find diamond earring....

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I was searching for a 1/2 karat diamond earring with what appears to be a white gold post/stud. Not an easy task, I know. However, it was made even more difficult by the massive power lines along the fence in the backyard. I was unable to turn up my Equinox enough to register anything. I don't know how to manage the EMI, if there is a way to do so. Any suggestions to assist would be appreciated.

Upvote 1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was searching for a 1/2 karat diamond earring with what appears to be a white gold post/stud. Not an easy task, I know. However, it was made even more difficult by the massive power lines along the fence in the backyard. I was unable to turn up my Equinox enough to register anything. I don't know how to manage the EMI, if there is a way to do so. Any suggestions to assist would be appreciated.
Was it recently lost or been lost for a long time? Did you try cycling through the individual freq one at a time to see if one had less interference, sometimes that works. You can also try wrapping the detector control box in aluminum foil, like a shield leaving the screen open. (think of shielded cable.)

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My honest answer: an XP Deus will have better luck finding that earring in that EMI. I know that's probably not what you want to hear...

This is why I say that: I own both the Nox and the Deus. I'm also part of TheRingFinders, and I was actually called out to help a woman search for her earring. Hers was similar to what you describe.
Luckily she had the other earring, so I could use it to calibrate my machines. What I found was: the Nox could only detect it from like 1 inch away, while the Deus gave me 3-4 inches of range. Since the Deus worked better on the remaining earring I used it to search for the missing one; I searched for 90 minutes and dug every target - and didn't find the earring. (for the record, she said it had been lost months prior in a snowstorm, and she didn't see where it fell into the snow. I think it's unlikely it was even there to be found....)

Anyway, back to your problem. All I can offer is that the Gold Field modes on the Nox 800 might give you your best shot, since they were made to find small gold items.
The other thing I've found is that with my Nox in fields with EMI I have to go down to a single frequency since Multi-Freq. is what goes crazy in EMI. I believe the 25 and 40Khz settings are best for small items.

Good luck to you!
- Brian

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was it recently lost or been lost for a long time? Did you try cycling through the individual freq one at a time to see if one had less interference, sometimes that works. You can also try wrapping the detector control box in aluminum foil, like a shield leaving the screen open. (think of shielded cable.)
Treasure Hunter, it was lost yesterday when the lady's dog took a soft bag of jewelry, ran out the back door, and acted like it was prey-jewelry spread everywhere. Being a fresh drop, and a sunny day, I thought we would have luck. She had the other earring and all the other jewelry, so the odds seemed good it was in the area of her backyard....

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My honest answer: an XP Deus will have better luck finding that earring in that EMI. I know that's probably not what you want to hear...

This is why I say that: I own both the Nox and the Deus. I'm also part of TheRingFinders, and I was actually called out to help a woman search for her earring. Hers was similar to what you describe.
Luckily she had the other earring, so I could use it to calibrate my machines. What I found was: the Nox could only detect it from like 1 inch away, while the Deus gave me 3-4 inches of range. Since the Deus worked better on the remaining earring I used it to search for the missing one; I searched for 90 minutes and dug every target - and didn't find the earring. (for the record, she said it had been lost months prior in a snowstorm, and she didn't see where it fell into the snow. I think it's unlikely it was even there to be found....)

Anyway, back to your problem. All I can offer is that the Gold Field modes on the Nox 800 might give you your best shot, since they were made to find small gold items.
The other thing I've found is that with my Nox in fields with EMI I have to go down to a single frequency since Multi-Freq. is what goes crazy in EMI. I believe the 25 and 40Khz settings are best for small items.

Good luck to you!
- Brian
Brian,

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I am a member of TheRingFinders as well, and that is why I got called to find this earring. I didn't know there were large powerlines along the back fence until I got there...you should have seen my face drop...I was searching in 40 Khz, but I will retry at a lower frequency. She did have the other earring, and I scanned it with my Nox, also with my ACE400 (I know, it's no Deus!). I got a faint 37 reading with the 400, but nothing with the Nox, but I had it in Park 2 mode, not the Gold Field you have suggest.

You have given me some excellent suggestions, and I will try them this week. Thanks!!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brian,

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I am a member of TheRingFinders as well, and that is why I got called to find this earring. I didn't know there were large powerlines along the back fence until I got there...you should have seen my face drop...I was searching in 40 Khz, but I will retry at a lower frequency. She did have the other earring, and I scanned it with my Nox, also with my ACE400 (I know, it's no Deus!). I got a faint 37 reading with the 400, but nothing with the Nox, but I had it in Park 2 mode, not the Gold Field you have suggest.

You have given me some excellent suggestions, and I will try them this week. Thanks!!
Good luck to you. I hope gold field helps you.
How small is the search area that she described? I know it would be painful but - you could go over a small area with a pinpointer. I even tried that with my earring callout.
- Brian

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like field 2 for small stuff, I've found small stud earring but dont remember the reading. I would guess a 1 to 5 range. I use a 600.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could help you find it.

Grid the entire back yard with string.

Start looking in the house where the dog first picked up the jewelry bag and follow the path he took to get outside.

Don't assume the dog didn't swallow some of the items.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
First thing is to scan the matching ear ring to get the ID number so that you know what your looking for. All the other info in the replies is good stuff too!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All Detectors handle EMI differently. The equinox series does a pretty good job of it but it still affects them quite greatly. Try different times of the day. There's a place in my hometown that you can hurt in the morning but not in the evening due to EMI. Don't ask me why.
Also, a smaller coil sometimes helps.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Point directly at the power lines when you noise cancel. Use as small a coil you own. It could be easier to use any other detector available.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have You tried the Gold Modes? Such a recent loss You've got a lot of Good suggestions here. Grid it and dig all that hits what the ear ring scanned.

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dig to China, I had the same thought! Instead of a "cat scan" I did a "dog scan", lol! The gal who lost the earring is going to watch the -ahem-"outcomes" this week!

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Point directly at the power lines when you noise cancel. Use as small a coil you own. It could be easier to use any other detector available.
Good luck to you. I hope gold field helps you.
How small is the search area that she described? I know it would be painful but - you could go over a small area with a pinpointer. I even tried that with my earring callout.
- Brian
Brian, we had the same idea. I wound up on my hands and knees with my Garrett pinpointer, but nothing. Here is the interesting thing-my Garrett carrot would NOT beep when near the one earring the gal had. But my old trusty non-waterproof Garret with a hole in it picked up on the earring when I tested it on the one earring she had.

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All Detectors handle EMI differently. The equinox series does a pretty good job of it but it still affects them quite greatly. Try different times of the day. There's a place in my hometown that you can hurt in the morning but not in the evening due to EMI. Don't ask me why.
Also, a smaller coil sometimes helps.
Bart, that is interesting about the time of day-I would have never guessed that would be a factor! I do have a sniper coil for my Ace 400, I am thinking I will try that. I don't have a smaller coil for my Nox.....

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish I could help you find it.

Grid the entire back yard with string.

Start looking in the house where the dog first picked up the jewelry bag and follow the path he took to get outside.

Don't assume the dog didn't swallow some of the items.
I wish you could, too, SD51. After searching on my hands and knees for a while with my pin pointer, I am beginning to think the dog DID swallow it... I will keep you posted.

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mc
McKinney, thank you for the idea of a smaller coil-I will try my sniper coil on my Garrett Ace 400. That's the machine that registered the 37 VDI. Appreciate the help!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6" or 5 X 10" coil, Gold mode, Turn sensitivity way down, and maybe play around with various single frequencies if multi won't settle down. You might also try manually going through the noise cancel settings to find the best one. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread