Equinox or Deus 2

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder, Since you're pretty much satisfied with your EQX 600, it sounds to me like you might be in the "wait and See" camp.
Underwonder, Since you're pretty much satisfied with your EQX 600, it sounds to me like you might be in the "wait and See" camp.
Good thread, Dan. “Wait and see” is probably the wisest and least impulsive phase…😉.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus ignores EMI. I found two of my Civil War buckles right under power lines or under an electric fence, in one case with the Deus when the Minelab folks couldn't detect. That one day the one guy got really mad at me because he couldn't detect in that one spot. And the updates are not mandatory. You could always go to a friend's house to update it, charging is no issue, I have never run out of a charge on anything. But it always comes down to individual preferences.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Deus ignores EMI. I found two of my Civil War buckles right under power lines or under an electric fence, in one case with the Deus when the Minelab folks couldn't detect. That one day the one guy got really mad at me because he couldn't detect in that one spot. And the updates are not mandatory. You could always go to a friend's house to update it, charging is no issue, I have never run out of a charge on anything. But it always comes down to individual preferences.
Thanks for sharing your experience, smokey the cat. Great to know about the charges holding up. I do tend to go for long searches. The lightness and capabilities and its reputation draw me to it. I often wonder what I am leaving behind. I wanted waterproof as I have gotten caught in the rain…I don’t do much underwater detecting. EMI seems to bother me mostly at home where there are 2 homes with electric fences and a power plant about a mile away…but I am not sure which is causing the very jittery signals in one area of my yard because the fences are at least 100 feet away. Did you say in another post that you haven’t been out in 4 months? I hope all is well.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am considering pre-ordering the XP Deus 2 but I have a couple of hesitations besides the cost.
1. It requires a PC for updates and I use a Mac.
2. It is scheduled to come in at the end of Dec. but I wouldn’t really get to use it until spring.
3. I understand there are 3 things to charge…which means any one of them could run out of charge in a hunt.
4. i haven’t even tried the original XP Deus but have heard it is light and easy to swing…but it also means getting used to a new detector, settings, sounds etc…

I am pretty much just using the Equinox 600 right now and am pretty satisfied except for EMI situations…
You can very definitely install updates on a Mac.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus ignores EMI. I
Two words: "ummm", and "no".

I've been using a Deus for 5-6 years now. They are very much susceptible to EMI. Sometimes you can avoid or minimize it by changing frequency but sometimes all that does is to change the sound of the EMI.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you know if, by "this year", he was referring literally to the year of 2021, or might he (gasp!) be talking about a year from when he said that?
I do believe it is the end of this year.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two words: "ummm", and "no".

I've been using a Deus for 5-6 years now. They are very much susceptible to EMI. Sometimes you can avoid or minimize it by changing frequency but sometimes all that does is to change the sound of the EMI.
I can't turn on my pinpointer without the Deus going crazy. Garrett carrot

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Garret AT wireless pinpointer with my Deus all the time without any issues. Maybe it's an issue with some models of Garrett pinpointers and not others?

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already had two pinpointers that perform very well but I spent the money on the XP pinpointer because of its integration with the DEUS and the convenience it offers. I think it's worth it...

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure the MI6 would be worth it if I didn't already have the Garrett. But since the Garrett links wirelessly with my Apex and I almost never bother to link it, I'd probably not bother linking a MI6 either. I guess it's all what you're used to.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the MI6 would be worth it if I didn't already have the Garrett. But since the Garrett links wirelessly with my Apex and I almost never bother to link it, I'd probably not bother linking a MI6 either. I guess it's all what you're used to.
I have an older White's pinpointer that I really like. But the one thing that always bugged me was I was always getting too close to the coil with it when recovering items and having to stop and move the detector away (this was when using my White's DFX). This usually led to tension on my headphone cord, and just that general feeling of being all tied up. So I usually ended up taking off my headphones when pinpointing.

The fact that the DEUS was wireless was a big influence on my decision to buy it. And the single feature that tempted me to buy the MI6 was the fact it turned the DEUS' coil off when you turned the MI6 on. Add the fact the MI6 feeds it's audio into the headphones so I wouldn't need to take them off to hear it and it was two good reasons for me to try it. I did, and I love it!

As you said, it's what you're used to. Unfortunately, I got used to not having a good system of pin pointing so sometimes the minor details were irritating to me. The DEUS and MI6 made it fun and painless .

And back to the original post... The waterproof feature is very appealing to me. And true multi-frequency operation sounds very nice, too. The only thing that would hold me back is the price tag.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In that case, something isn't right.

Not sure why you added the words, "Garrett carrot" but I will say that there is a definite frequency conflict there. My Garrett pinpointer will cause EMI with my Deus, but of course, only when I am pinpointing. I avoid that by setting the frequency on my Deus programs to a slight offset frequency using the "Expert" option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread