Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? Minelab equinox or Garrett apex? Are you serious?

Matt

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nox over apex, just because Minelab is the standard by which all detectors are judged. Multi frequency, single frequency- better target separation, deeper. I could go. Now I say this without trying the apex. I'm sure the Apex is a fine machine, IMHO Minelab is the best. You might lookout for nox 800, you might get interested in gold prospecting nox 800 with a small coil is almost as good as a monster 1000.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
as much as I love Garrett .... Apex or Minelab......sorry I am disappointed in the Apex....but maybe Apex updates may improve

RelicsRings

Greenie
Mar 11, 2018
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4000, XP Deus, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Owned a 600 when they first came out and later upgraded to the 800. Owned an Apex when it first came out and after about 50-70 hours of use at parks, ghost towns and field hunting for relics sold it. IMO I can't think of one thing the Apex does better that an Equinox performance wise. The Apex 6 by 11 coil might unmask slightly better than the Equinox 5 by 10 coil. But you really have to be on your game when using the Apex due to target ID getting pulled down so low on the Apex. The Equinox at a slight disadvantage on the other hand locks on to targets in iron better and the target ID is much better making a dig not dig decision a lot easier. Simultaneous multi frequency is the main consideration when looking at the Apex vs the Equinox. There's just no way the Garrett is in the same league as Minelab when it comes to multi frequency. Apex costs less than the Equinox 600. If you only had $450 to spend, maybe a consideration. But even then there are better performing metal detectors at that price or less. Monte seems to like the Apex, I think he has 3.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the Nox 800 for 3 years, just sold it because of my shoulder. I bought the Apex the beginning of the year, kept it for 2 months, it was a total POS, but then again $800 machine compared to a $400 machine. But don't take it from me lets use facts, both were sold on Ebay, the $800 machine sold for $780, the $400 machine sold for $250, 3 years old VS 2 months old, granted I bought the 800 with the veterans discount 15% off, and it was a bit less when it first came out, so I got back more than I paid.

The Apex was sent back to the factory within a month after purchase, they said they repaired it (bull). If you watch any advertising on it, it is supposed to separated coins from iron, not the one I had. I was detecting and abandoned resort and was not getting many targets (just as it was in parks) then I spotted a copper penny next to some iron, the Apex did not see the penny. I took the garrett back to my truck and got the Deus, life was good. Yes I tried every setting, coins, us coins, jewelry, the Apex did not see or separate the coins, if there was more than 1 coin together, it would only see 1, the deus and nox saw all of the coins, regardless of how fast you moved.

So if you want to leave most of your targets in the ground, buy the Apex.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread