Equinox Pod Improvements

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has Minelab made any improvements on the control pods to prevent leakage when detecting no deeper than neck deep? Some time ago I remember reading about a modified control box made in Ukraine or Russia. Was it a flop? I haven't seen any reviews of it being worth doing. Mine is under warranty until June, so I'll take it in the water and see if the control pod that was replaced last year leaks again. One would think that the engineers at Minelab would be able to identify and correct the leaking problem on the newer manufactured control pods.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't heard of any redesign or improvements to the original. I haven't seen any credible reviews of aftermarket setups either.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Having drowned 2 Nox 800s in past 3 yrs I, too, am very interested in a pod upgrade but none exist. But they're fast w pod replacement if under warranty; about a week!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Having drowned 2 Nox 800s in past 3 yrs I, too, am very interested in a pod upgrade but none exist. But they're fast w pod replacement if under warranty; about a week!
I never bought the Nox for it's waterproof guarantee. It wasn't worth the hassle to dunk it on purpose before 3 years passed, BUT...IMO...two units drowning within 3 years total, for one owner, says that ML needs to do a redesign. I don't care how fast ML replaces a pod. Admit your flaw and take care of business.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should have waited before buying the Nox. I was hoping the "waterproof to 10 ft" claim was true. This is obviously false advertising and the company should be held accountable. This was my first and last time doing business with a company that can't be honest with their product description. There is no way that Minelab wasn't aware that these control pods would leak and still went ahead with production and lied to everyone who was anticipating taking it to the beach wading to chest deep and have it last for years. Shame on you Minelab!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine in the surf for 4 years now....no leaks so far.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally know several people using the nox and nobody I personally know has had their Nox leak.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Know of many who have lost there Noxs to the surf gods, but like said above, Minelab repair center has a very fast turn around on the fix/replacement. There are a few after market kits going around, one is The "Sea Wolf" and I seen a guy in the USA working on a design. Arron Lovelace? On facebook....
273186324_2835341473432552_138611925300839868_n.jpg
273218435_2835341410099225_736786369752233122_n.jpg
273308096_2835341450099221_8049731624338109242_n.jpg

Kind of funny, I did not save the picture but I seen where someone had put a condom over the control pod and it looks like it may have provided some protection..:laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN that's a rugged looking unit for sure. One would think that Minelab could design something like this. I'm sure every Nox owner would order it myself included. Satisfied customers are your best source of advertising. I wonder how many Equinox 600 and 800 have been sold world wide so far. I would gladly spend a couple hundred on a truly water proof control pod cover. That could add up to a big chunk of $$$ for Minelab

Reactions: OBN

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess I should have waited before buying the Nox. I was hoping the "waterproof to 10 ft" claim was true. This is obviously false advertising and the company should be held accountable. This was my first and last time doing business with a company that can't be honest with their product description. There is no way that Minelab wasn't aware that these control pods would leak and still went ahead with production and lied to everyone who was anticipating taking it to the beach wading to chest deep and have it last for years. Shame on you Minelab!
This is a video, 1 of three of my dive partner using an Equinox scuba diving. It held up well, no leaks and worked great. He's still using the same machine to this day. They don't all leak

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has Minelab made any improvements on the control pods to prevent leakage when detecting no deeper than neck deep?
The design of the equinox just doesn't have water hunting in mind. The coil and pod create a lot of drag, and of course the pod itself is somewhat fragile and prone to leaks. I water hunted with mine briefly hoping it could be a "one machine for all" but ultimately set it aside for dry hunts and use a real water machine for hunting in the ocean. Even my old AT-Pro felt more water tight. Now, if I can get hold one that "Sea Wolf" waterproof case, I may reconsider, but I am still not convinced the coil connections would survive long term salt water use.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a video, 1 of three of my dive partner using an Equinox scuba diving. It held up well, no leaks and worked great. He's still using the same machine to this day. They don't all leak

Only Carter could get away with that. :headbang:
I have a friend in Chicago that dives with his also, I think his has only flooded once? I know Cater uses other machines also, but he does have the luck of the surf gods for sure. Has he got the D2 issue corrected yet? And I love that beach cart he uses in the water.. I do some long walks so I have to look in on that...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread