Equinox V3 Update - Deep Silver Test

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also mostly use park 1, recovery 5 and do use some Iron Bias based on the site. All depends what im hunting for. Relic sites i keep it on FE0 because F2 0 is actually even lower than FE 0. That lets allot more through. If im searching in a clean site ill run the F2 2 and if il sick of big iron will go to 4 to pretty much knock it out. In 4kz your not going to have the option of Iron Bias so maybe try Park 1 with a little lower recovery and sensitivity. Depending on how noisy the site is. Ill still stick with Mulit and use 4 like a new toy.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just tested the Equinox using 4kHz on a dime that's on edge and it did great!

tabman

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Buzz.
What pattern was in and also was it 1 or 2 of that pattern.
you may need to go below 18 on sensitivity.
was the chatter EMI.
guessing you may want to use multi and switch to 4 khz on iffy weak signals.
I’ll leave it to Iffy.
Doug

I don't know what you mean by what pattern, but this was not EMI. It was stuff in the ground; all repeatable signals.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also mostly use park 1, recovery 5 and do use some Iron Bias based on the site. All depends what im hunting for. Relic sites i keep it on FE0 because F2 0 is actually even lower than FE 0. That lets allot more through. If im searching in a clean site ill run the F2 2 and if il sick of big iron will go to 4 to pretty much knock it out. In 4kz your not going to have the option of Iron Bias so maybe try Park 1 with a little lower recovery and sensitivity. Depending on how noisy the site is. Ill still stick with Mulit and use 4 like a new toy.

I'm a Park 1 guy, twoo. I used F2 iron bias, but set to 4 when on multi but as you say, that's not an option on single frequency. This was coin hunting in a park that goes back to around 1900.

So, you don't experience the same thing when hunting in real conditions with 4kHz? That's the problem I have with these test garden situations... yeah, the deliberate target may sound good, but what happens when you throw real world conditions at it?

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Park 1 guy, twoo. I used F2 iron bias, but set to 4 when on multi but as you say, that's not an option on single frequency. This was coin hunting in a park that goes back to around 1900.

So, you don't experience the same thing when hunting in real conditions with 4kHz? That's the problem I have with these test garden situations... yeah, the deliberate target may sound good, but what happens when you throw real world conditions at it?

Hey Iron Buzz, i went in a hunt yesterday and did not have a chirping issue. Used park 1 recovery 5 testing at a local park. I did notice that in 4kz you will get a high tone on even mid conductors. Dug a few nickels that were singing like silver. I would use 4kz for coin hunting and looking for deep coins. But obviously will be sticking with multi for general and relic hunting. I like having the option available and if i hunt parks or ball fields I will toss it in 4kz to see whats deeper. But if your saying it high tones on everything then yes you are right. Still does pretty good with the iron.

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yes I totally agree with you. I built my test garden with all types of targets some deep some with iron, most around 8 inches To see What the VdI is, see if its stable, some next to iron, and a couple Deep at 9+. But you are right you cant simulate most of the real world in your own yard. I didnt even know it sang on mid conductors till i was out at the park and i have some in my garden that i just didnt test.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron buzz and Iffy if you guys are only coin shoot then park 1 is ok but if you also want relics you are missing out on small brass and copper targets... I learned this on my own in woods...

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron buzz and Iffy if you guys are only coin shoot then park 1 is ok but if you also want relics you are missing out on small brass and copper targets... I learned this on my own in woods...

Which setting do you prefer, then?

I have stuck with Park 1 pretty much from the beginning because, even if I switch the others to 5 tones, it still can be like learning a new machine to some extent, and I prefer to know one program well rather than several not so well. I also have restrained myself from customizing programs because occasionally you may need to do a program or even factory reset and if that happens in the field, and you've been using a heavily modified program, you will find yourself with an unfamiliar machine until you can get those previous customizations re-installed. Not saying that's for everyone, but that's the way I fly.

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heres an update.

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My custom for relics is park 1 recovery 5 or 6 FE0. I like park 2 as well but its a little sparky for the cellar holes i hunt.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Thanks for some good videos. After watching Calabash and your videos I am more convinced than ever that I will use 4k after I've found an iffy high tone target using multi/50 tone. Same for the higher single freqs for a low tone target. Thanks again!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for some good videos. After watching Calabash and your videos I am more convinced than ever that I will use 4k after I've found an iffy high tone target using multi/50 tone. Same for the higher single freqs for a low tone target. Thanks again!

When I find an iffy high tone target, I dig it. Why waste time switching to 4K first? The only way you're going to be certain is to dig.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For relic hunting I prefer the "2" modes - Mostly Field 2. Some prefer Park 2 (Calabash Digger). Both of the "2" modes have a Multi IQ profile that is biased towards the higher frequency and therefore they hit mid-conductors (brass, lead, gold) and smaller targets better. Of course that means they hit modern, small aluminum bits harder too. If coin hunting it is Park 1 or single frequency. The "1" modes are biased to lower frequencies so they hit high conductors better (as do the low frequency, single frequencies such as 4 and 5 khz).

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For relic hunting I prefer the "2" modes - Mostly Field 2. Some prefer Park 2 (Calabash Digger). Both of the "2" modes have a Multi IQ profile that is biased towards the higher frequency and therefore they hit mid-conductors (brass, lead, gold) and smaller targets better. Of course that means they hit modern, small aluminum bits harder too. If coin hunting it is Park 1 or single frequency. The "1" modes are biased to lower frequencies so they hit high conductors better (as do the low frequency, single frequencies such as 4 and 5 khz).

Good info
Thanks

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Out of curiosity is there documentation on this anywhere?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of curiosity is there documentation on this anywhere?

Yes. See pages 22 - 30 of the Equinox user guide. There is also an even more detailed description in Andy Sabisch's Equinox handbook and he dedicated a page to letting me discuss my favorite relic hunting settings and methods in there, as well. Focused mainly on hot dirt hunting such as in Virginia. People aren't kidding when they say "Read the $#%&@! manual." In the case of Equinox, ML did a great job with the manual.

Last edited:

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E16E26EA-C19B-4AD8-9ADA-5D5E68227815.jpeg I’m toying with 4KHZ. Going over spots that I’ve been through multiple times. I pulled a pocket watch out this morning using 4KHZ. Solid 35. It was jumpy and giving off iron tone in multi. About 9” deep.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1857148 I’m toying with 4KHZ. Going over spots that I’ve been through multiple times. I pulled a pocket watch out this morning using 4KHZ. Solid 35. It was jumpy and giving off iron tone in multi. About 9” deep.

Nice find, a few days ago I found a 1964 Rosie, 1929 and 1928 wheat cents with the 4 kHz, they all came in very weak high tones in multi but the 4 kHz cleaned up the tones enough to get a good pinpoint. Both wheat cents were 10 inches down and the silver Rosie was around 7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread