All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can buy a Nox 800, have $650.00 left in my pocket, and find gold in the rain, or up to 20' deep at the lake or in the ocean. I'll wave to you up on the beach. :hello:

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A note about the E.600/800 models,a article at a different metal detector forum describes flooded battery compartments on these units. Its worth reading for anyone that is considering making a purchase on these detectors.I am not being negative just objective with this imformation.

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't heard that. Anyway, I can't directly answer the question as I've never used that particular White's. A friend was using one with me a couple weeks ago and he did very well.

OP
OP
M

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live 3 hrs from beach i go like every 15 yrs. My job doesnt let me go. To me beach detecting doesnt happen.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my detecting buddies has a v3i. Looking to purchase an 800.....must be looking for more.

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a V3I for3 years and know it well. I just bought an E800 because I want something that can get wet and is stable on a Salt Beach. The E800 Target ID's are totally flustering me but it appears that anything over a 20 must be dug and all 13's as well.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The V3i is a good detector...no question about that but I think the EQX 800 proves that a detector doesn't have to be as heavy or complex as the V3i in order to be extremely effective.

Just the view from my foxhole...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Powersurg, I dug everything over "7" on the 800. One contact period Indian item came in at a 7.

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V3i is a good detector...no question about that but I think the EQX 800 proves that a detector doesn't have to be as heavy or complex as the V3i in order to be extremely effective.

Just the view from my foxhole...
I couldn’t agree with you more. I would go even further to say that the nox 800 and even the Deus, is what a modern detector looks like. Let’s face it, the V3I is old technology. No doubt it’s still a valid machine but it’s old. I can’t wait to see what Whites has cooking. You know they have to be thinking about how they are going to beat the 800.

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Powersurg, I dug everything over "7" on the 800. One contact period Indian item came in at a 7.
Hello Smokey,
I just watched an episode of GigMaster on YouTube where he uses the following strategy. If he knows he is going to return to a place, his first few visits he will only dig 20 or higher. Afterwards when he goes back he will dig anything. There might be something to that strategy. Since I made the above post I am learning that the compressed scale on the 800 doesn’t necessarily mean increased VDI reliability over the V3I. You are right, very frequently things ring up with numbers that are outside of the expected VID range.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... I can’t wait to see what Whites has cooking. You know they have to be thinking about how they are going to beat the 800.

Whites couldn't get the V3 into a working model without Minelab's help. They havent produced anything since, and I doubt they are close to having any project remotely close to fruition.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a V3I for3 years and know it well. I just bought an E800 because I want something that can get wet and is stable on a Salt Beach. The E800 Target ID's are totally flustering me but it appears that anything over a 20 must be dug and all 13's as well.

powrsurg - I agree. I owned the Equinox when it first came out and sold it shortly after the first software update. (which fixed the coin on edge issue). I sold the Equinox and got a V3i for a good price and comparing the two machines is difficult. The Equinox is clearly lighter, faster, and deeper. (depth is close but I'd give the Nox and 1 or 2" edge in my soil) There were so many things about the V3i that I loved. The pinpoint trigger and freq screen, The X/Y graph, tones and vdi range. What I didn't like was charging and weight and it's very complex to learn - I don't like a machine that I am second guessing my settings (that's on me though)

The equinox regardless of what program I ran either park or field was very responsive but I also found I dug trash all day in the 13-18 range and couldn't call a nickel most of the time. I think with time I would have gotten better at this but it was not as easy as any other machine I have owned. Same was true for rusty bottle caps on the nox(without changing freq) - on the v3i its easy. Equinox is the clear winner in iron or trashy areas its just not even close in terms of processing speed. Equinox also handles EMI easily as well which is a problem I have had with my two whites machines. The MX5 being the worst.

If Whites can figure out a way to make a multi-freq machine that can tick some of what I like about the V3i and keep it light I would be interested but I'm not holding my breath. I've moved on to other machines that are getting very close to what I like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread