equinox ???

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an equinox 600 and found a spot with some seated and barber dimes .most are 10 to 12 inches in the ground.Seems like its having a hard time picking them up.I have to really pay attention to very small signals.Im running park one with the sensitivity all the way up.would there be a better setting or adjustment I could make to be able to pick them up better.Very little trash there. Its in the middle of the woods.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd give the field settings a try, see what happens

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crank the sensitivity up until it's chatty and back off a notch as required.

Maybe add a notch or two or three of threshold as the absence of the threshold hum is quite noticeable and may indicate something decent there.

You could also try lowering your recovery speed to 1 or 2 but you may need to slow down your swing.

And as mentioned, try the Field modes.

Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to second Smokey's thoughts...10" to 12" on a dime is VERY good. You won't get much more than that, no matter WHAT settings you run. 12" on a dime, in mild soil, is essentially the very edge of detection vs. no-detection for that size of target, with the Equinox (and, essentially, with any of the other top-of-the-line units available today).

In my dirt, a 12" dime is not a detectable target, and a 10" dime is the same, except in perhaps extenuating circumstances. Nine to nine-and-a-half inches is about the limit on a dime in my dirt, but I do have some iron mineralization to contend with. If you are getting dimes at 10" to 12" deep, consider yourself BLESSED, as you are on the edge, like I said, for even the very best of today's VLF-IB detectors.

Steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, high sensitivity, slow recovery speed, and you might also try the 4 Khz single frequency for added depth on high conductors.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, going sllllooowww is the key to successful detecting after obeying the first two cardinal rules: #1 turn the machine on #2 stuff has to be there to begin with. But seriously, I have put the machine down and turned it off for a few minutes to dig a big hole or talk to someone, then picked it back up, walked 20 feet then realized it was still OFF.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info Ill give them a try next time im out there.I have noticed if I slow my swing way down it helps a little
That usually makes a big difference in picking up the difference between a the littlest chirp and a signal of any substance is the speed of what the coil is being swept.
We all tend to hasten the speed to cover the as much ground in the least amount of time.
Just from slowing it right down-the deep ones start to appear.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10" to 12" inches on a dime is GOOD. It mainly depends on the soil type. In the red Virginia dirt from hell you might get 4".
The Equinox 800 is an outstanding machine but all Detectors struggle greatly in those conditions.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an equinox 600 and found a spot with some seated and barber dimes .most are 10 to 12 inches in the ground.Seems like its having a hard time picking them up.I have to really pay attention to very small signals.Im running park one with the sensitivity all the way up.would there be a better setting or adjustment I could make to be able to pick them up better.Very little trash there. Its in the middle of the woods.
I don't know what your soil is like there, but here in Minnesota, 10-12 inches may as well be a mile underground. 6" on a dime is doing very well on any machine that I've used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions