Error Penny - Year "195" missing last number

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this wheat in a box of pennies tonight. I blew it up with my camera and could not see any evidence of the last number scratched off. Would this be an error related to a greased die? Also, do you see any doubling on the 5? Any help would be great, thanks
195 penny 1.jpg
195 penny 2.jpg 195 2.jpg

Upvote 4

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow first i have seen of this one!!!!!!!!!!!! hard to tell on the 5 could be strike dbl if it looks like a shelf under the loop great find though

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Try posting in the coins section. Could be a greasy die but it dosen't look like it from the pictures provided. Could you post a close up of the date?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I actually have about five pennies that look like that. Not sure if it is grease or if it is wear that hits that corner. I also have some wheats tat are worn down to nothing hardly visible anywhere on them.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow first i have seen of this one!!!!!!!!!!!! hard to tell on the 5 could be strike dbl if it looks like a shelf under the loop great find though

Thanks! what causes a shelf? I hope it's a rare one, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Might post it in the coins section

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have about five pennies that look like that. Not sure if it is grease or if it is wear that hits that corner. I also have some wheats tat are worn down to nothing hardly visible anywhere on them.

Very interesting. I know you search a lot of pennies, so I can get a sense of rarity of this coin type, have you found multiple other key dates?

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is hopefully a better picture of the date
View attachment 678867
Its definitely interesting! I'm no coin expert by any means, but to me it looks like a error coin to me. The "5" for sure has something going on with it as well. Has a coin like yours ever got sent to national coin institute? Lol cant think of correct names🤣😂🤣 Has 1 ever been graded & slabbed with certification? Nice coin! & Keen eye there!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little late to the topic, but the coin is either struck through grease or scraped off and worn over time. Technically an error if grease, but no real value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread