Estate Sale Find

bpmtn

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a box of unmarked samples, it looks like someone went through some trouble to collect these. There are definitely some fossils here, but I'm most interested in the rocks/gems/minerals. I'll post pics of all of them to start and would be happy to get some better close-ups of anything that looks interesting to anyone. I would love some feedback, thanks!

IMG_20190110_143450359_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190110_142646648.jpg
IMG_20190110_142651384.jpg
IMG_20190110_143159260.jpg
IMG_20190110_145156186.jpg
IMG_20190110_145332609 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20190113_181554282_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190113_181647135_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190113_181952452_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190113_182211062_HDR.jpg

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In, pic #1 I was going to say they looked like apache tears, but when I look closer, I'm not sure. Again,I'm not sure, but for some reason pic 4 screams kidney stones to me.....are they possibly part of a medical collection?:icon_pale: Lol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bpmtn

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I wouldn't have ever thought of the medical idea but you definitely could be right. However I'm certain the top 3 are geological. The unbroken ones in pic 1 look like apache tears but I think the gold/brown crystals inside rule that out?

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I wouldn't have ever thought of the medical idea but you definitely could be right. However I'm certain the top 3 are geological. The unbroken ones in pic 1 look like Apache tears but I think the gold/brown crystals inside rule that out?
Well Apache tears are stream or glacier worn pieces of obsidian, the inside would be translucent. Those look like some kind of crystal that grew, I say that because of there look like growth rings going into crystalized "bars" radiating from the center of the stone. (I don't know if I'm using the right words to describe what I'm seeing!) All I can tell you is, they seem unusual for sure. Hope someone with more experience than me can help.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ought to google kidney stones, I think you might be surprised by the similarities of what I saw on google to what you have lol!

Upvote 0

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You ought to google kidney stones, I think you might be surprised by the similarities of what I saw on google to what you have lol!

Im almost sure the one pic with the jar of stones, is kidney stones. Looks identical, of course its a picture so hard to tell, but definitely calcium.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bpmtn

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is fascinating. I've now learned that there are several types of kidney stones and they come in all shapes and sizes, that develop out of several different substances including calcium and uric acid. Several of these items resemble pictures that I've seen, especially #2 and #4 and even the one that looks like a fossilized egg. But I'm not 100% convinced, and I'm 100% certain #1 are crystals and not medical.

I think I'm going to split this up into separate threads for each item or group of similar items, and I'm also going to break open a couple of the other black and brown polished stones to see what's inside.

Are there any other medical and/or geological forums that anyone would recommend for more input?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bpmtn

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected...

After a little more digging, I found this pic online.

01_calcium_oxalate_0-sizes.jpg

I was able to split all of the small polished rock type items with very little pressure from a chisel and found almost identical patterns to this pic. I'm now convinced that every single one of these, except for the bones, are different types of kidney stones. This is definitely a medical collection, and while I'm a little grossed out at least I've satisfied my curiosity.

Thanks everyone for the input, this was fun!

Upvote 0

Reef

Jul 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1736636

I was able to split all of the small polished rock type items with very little pressure from a chisel and found almost identical patterns to this pic. I'm now convinced that every single one of these, except for the bones, are different types of kidney stones. This is definitely a medical collection, and while I'm a little grossed out at least I've satisfied my curiosity.

You may have some gallstones in there too, google those. The bones may be what was removed from a total knee replacement or something.

Upvote 0

pretious

Banned
Jul 14, 2019
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

View attachment 1736636

Totally an odd collection to find in an estate sale!!!! Who was this person ? Maybe consider digging up the backyard of the estate ?? LMAO

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally an odd collection to find in an estate sale!!!! Who was this person ? Maybe consider digging up the backyard of the estate ?? LMAO
Thats what I was thinking I get rid of those NASTY

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He wasnt selling the eye balls hes keeping those.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread